Anyone here into Wine Making?

ShokWaveRider

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I just started and am on my first 5 gallon batch. Just using grape juice till I get the hang of it. Shooting for 13% - 14% alcohol.

Day 3 of primary fermentation so far, Airlock is bubbling nicely. Using a PET Carboy.

Yes it is a fun hobby. We have done raspberry, strawberry wine in the past. This is our first year with pear. We have had good success with it. Beer is more difficult - a lot more variables to watch. I have a good batch, then a not so good batch with it.

I make every type of beverage - wine, beer, mead, cider, maybe some other stuff too. :whistle: I made mostly fruit wines for years, which came out pretty well, and tried grape concentrate from a can, but wasn't happy with that. Since moving to wine country, I've had access to top-quality winegrapes, and was amazed at what good wine could be made from those - especially when compared to canned juice! It's a great hobby - not so great for the liver, though!

I did it decades ago. But trying it a gain. 5 gal apple and 5 gal apple-cranberry started. Both started in 20 gal food grade trash cans (primary) and now in 5 gal carboys with air locks.

We'll see how these progress.

Yes it is a fun hobby. We have done raspberry, strawberry wine in the past. This is our first year with pear. We have had good success with it. Beer is more difficult - a lot more variables to watch. I have a good batch, then a not so good batch with it.
so where do you get your fruit for your wine?

When I lived in apple country in Lehigh Valley PA, I would make a couple of carboys of apple and Seyval Blanc. I would warm the apple wine and spice it up a bit for Halloween. I always wondered why my home was popular with the adults but the kids not so much.

I used to do it a lot, last yr I sold off my 6 carboys and everything else to a budding winemaker.
It was fun, I used the kits and also did it from crushed grapes, and even just fresh apple juice.

It's a very popular in Canada as wine tends to be more expensive up there, but here in USA there is less incentive, since I can buy a bottle of Chardonnay or Savignon at Aldi's for ~$3 including the tax.

It is an intoxicating hobby in more ways than one.

DW and I have enjoyed wine for over 35 years, as well as food. Both compliment each other.

I have made wine from fresh fruit, frozen fruit, juice, kits, concentrate, local grapes, California grapes, Chilean grapes, South African grapes and Italian juice. It has been said around the house that if anything doesn't keep moving around the house, it will end up in a fermentor!

Often our travel plans include stops at vineyards, trade shows/conferences, and wineries. I spend a minimum of 2 hours a day tending to my rewarding obsession.
I also volunteer/help local wineries.

It's a hobby that can take you in so many directions, from a curiosity phase to all out attempts to make the finest wine in the land. It depend on commitment, desire, and budget.

If anybody wants any info, help, or advice feel free to PM me.

I do brew beer but not so much.

IMG_1312.jpg

IMG_1637.jpg

just a little bit.

I'm interested in trying making some wine. Any suggestions on a starter wine kit?

For the Experts, I started my 5 gal fermenting 4 days ago.

After 2 Days, Airlock Bubbled about once every second obvious froth on the top.
After 3 Days, airlock bubbled at about once every 2 secs, no froth just small bubbles on top.
today it is once every 3 secs or so, is that normal?

I am going to check PH and rack it on the 7th day, is there anything else I need to add?

Also I am shooting for 13 - 14% Alcohol, what is the best way to terminate fermenting?

TIA

Are you hoping to get a dry wine? What variety of wine is it?

Your final Alcohol % will be a function of what the Brix (sugar concentration) was before fermentation started, and how dry you can get it.

You can't really know if you are done based upon bubbles. You need a decent hydrometer to measure the progress of fermentation.
Have you visited any of the internet sources for winemaking information? There are a couple of really good ones, and some pretty bad ones.

Are you hoping to get a dry wine? What variety of wine is it?

Your final Alcohol % will be a function of what the Brix (sugar concentration) was before fermentation started, and how dry you can get it.

You can't really know if you are done based upon bubbles. You need a decent hydrometer to measure the progress of fermentation.
Have you visited any of the internet sources for winemaking information? There are a couple of really good ones, and some pretty bad ones.

PH at start was 1.100

I guess, a question would be When it stops bubbling is it done? AND if it does not stop after I reach my % goal how do I stop it from fermenting before Bottling?

Yes, Read a lot.

PH at start was 1.100

I guess, a question would be When it stops bubbling is it done? AND if it does not stop after I reach my % goal how do I stop it from fermenting before Bottling?

Yes, Read a lot.

I think you are confusing pH with the specific gravity. When fermentation is done, you will have a bunch of CO2 in the wine which will also make it bubble some. Is this a red or a white?

I think you are confusing pH with the specific gravity. When fermentation is done, you will have a bunch of CO2 in the wine which will also make it bubble some. Is this a red or a white?

Yes sorry SG I meant.

Red wine. As mentioned I am going to check SG after 7 days when I rack it. If it is 13% I would like to Stop any additional fermentation. I cannot seem to find info on it that is consistent.

A slow fermentation due to cooler temps is good if you are set up for it. A warm, fast fermentation "boils" off some of the aromas and leaves wine less aromatic obviously.
However, some fermentations may get "stuck" if there is no yeast nutrients available, at cooler temps.

Your mouth can only taste sweet, sour, bitter, salt and unami. The other "tastes" you perceive are due to aromas. Remember to "hold your nose and swallow"?

Exnay on the vinegar. Bad wine can be distilled to make the host of "Other" stuff. If you make wine or beer on a regular basis, the last thing you want is vinegar. Vinegar is the result of bacteria, usually because of fruit flies, rotting fruit, unsanitary equipment, or airborne. If you have vinegar anywhere close, the bacteria can become airborne and is EXTREMELY hard to prevent infection.

KB, get a wine kit of a wine that you like or are familiar with. The kits are pretty simple to use; the only difference is cost. A cheaper Merlot kit may be from a lesser known source/vineyard and a more expensive kit may have skins or a flavor packet. Once you make it a few times, you may wish to get creative and use a different strain of yeast, aging or toast of oak. One can get pretty artistic.

Yes sorry SG I meant.

Red wine. As mentioned I am going to check SG after 7 days when I rack it. If it is 13% I would like to Stop any additional fermentation. I cannot seem to find info on it that is consistent.

You can stop fermentation by super chilling, adding potassium metabisulphite and potassium sorbate, and a combination of the three. You will not be able to stop it on a dime.

If you super chill, the wine will have to be sterile filtered to remove any yeast that will revive once the temperature warms up. You will have exploding bottles.

If you try to kill it with the meta, it may only be a temporary kill, as the meta is also used as an anti-oxidant, anti-browning agent. Once the meta is absorbed, it alone may now not be enough to kill the yeast.

Sorbate alone prevent yeast from reproducing, it does not stop fementation.

Wine makers usually control the alcohol initially by the original brix or SG.
A 22 Brix or a SG of 1.0920 if fully fermented to total dryness will yield a 12.9% alcohol by volume. Your original SG of 1.1 should be pretty close to 13%.

Shockwave, if you stop fermentation based upon % alcohol, depending upon how much sugar was in the juice to begin with, you might get a perceived taste of sweet in the wine, because there was sugar left over, unfermented.

On the other hand, if you didn't have enough sugar to begin with, to get to that % alcohol, you won't ever reach your target. Why are you focusing on % alcohol, rather than desired dryness/sweetness?

Shockwave, if you stop fermentation based upon % alcohol, depending upon how much sugar was in the juice to begin with, you might get a perceived taste of sweet in the wine, because there was sugar left over, unfermented.

On the other hand, if you didn't have enough sugar to begin with, to get to that % alcohol, you won't ever reach your target. Why are you focusing on % alcohol, rather than desired dryness/sweetness?

This is my first batch so I am not sure. According to my initial SG of 1100 I am expecting a rating of 13% ish. That is why. Assuming I was accurate, that is what I am shooting for.

Back
Top Bottom