Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-08-2016, 08:54 AM   #81

Glad it went well, Kickernick.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2016, 10:05 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What a relief!

Congratualtions
Old 02-10-2016, 09:22 AM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

This one is really hitting home now. I planned to give my boss my 30 days notice on March 1. But, he's assigning me a new project that will require several weeks of training by others in my department. I don't what to waste company resources with the training. On my side though, I don't a gap in health insurance. They may not let me work until my planned last day. If they ask me to leave early, I may have a gap in HI.

I also have not received my annual bonus. I should get it any day.

So, right now, I am waiting for my bonus and postponing training.
InTheSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:46 AM   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickernick View Post
I pulled the trigger last week and everything went well. Any sense of risk or retribution were quickly quelled and my boss was appreciative of the extra time to transition ~45 more days. As it turned out, his job got expanded and he will be traveling the next couple weeks. There will probably only be a few weeks we are both in the office over my remaining time. I am still not sure I will work all the way to 4/1, but it doesn't really matter to me anyway.
Wonderful! I am so glad everything is working out well. You are on your way, and will be happily retired soon! I love it when things work out so well for someone.

As for me, I did not get penalized for early notice, but then I worked for the federal government and had top performance scores, so I suppose I had nearly infinite job security. I gave six months' notice, but would suggest that those working in private industry should be MUCH more cautious than I was.

Also my supervisor was a dear friend and confidante, who had worked shoulder to shoulder with me daily for years and then was promoted to supervisor just a couple of years prior to my retirement. So, she already knew my retirement plans years before she ever became my supervisor. That helped.

Due to retiring in November 2009, I did miss the opportunity to compete for our annual (December) cash performance award. However my supervisor somehow did some magic with my unused leave compensation, giving me more than I expected (from my own computations anyway). That made up for the cash award almost exactly so I do not consider that I was penalized in any way.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:11 AM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheSticks View Post
This one is really hitting home now. I planned to give my boss my 30 days notice on March 1. But, he's assigning me a new project that will require several weeks of training by others in my department. I don't what to waste company resources with the training. On my side though, I don't a gap in health insurance. They may not let me work until my planned last day. If they ask me to leave early, I may have a gap in HI.

Just act like everything's normal and proceed with the training. The last thing you should be concerned about is wasting company resources. You have to do what's best for you.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Marketwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Vacation?
Old 02-10-2016, 02:19 PM   #86
Full time employment: Posting here.

Vacation?

Quote:

Any chance that you could take some kind of PTO on short notice to postpone the training, project, etc.?
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:01 PM   #87
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
Any chance that you could take some kind of PTO on short notice to postpone the training, project, etc.?
No, not really. I want to get paid for that. We get all our vacation on our anniversary date. My anniversary date is next week. I'll give 30 days notice and get paid for all my unused vacation.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:01 PM   #88

Quote:
This one is really hitting home now. I planned to give my boss my 30 days notice on March 1. But, he's assigning me a new project that will require several weeks of training
You might also consider using this as a very believable "excuse" to follow your plan. After a week of training, you suddenly realize that this project makes you uncomfortable and you've decided to retire instead of jeopardizing the company's plans.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:03 PM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

In my case, we had to make a commitment to retire within 10 calendar days at the end of the year two years ago and I pulled the trigger! The conditions became toxic, my boss became unpredictable, fearful and a total jerk so I kept my mouth shut and did not say a word until 10 days before the actual retirement date which was during the Christmas and New Year holiday. I am so glad I bailed out even though it was a short notice. I was offered a chance to chance to change my mind ( no extra compensation) and stay on, but yours-truly was already gone! It felt good to escape the hostile workplace and leave them.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Dcharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:22 PM   #90
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's so situational dependent. Even though I'm still a few years away from leaving, I'm already planning what's the most optimal time of year and how much notice. For me, it would be after bonuses are paid and stocks vest near the beginning of the year. I'm likely wanting to give two months notice (after critical payment dates pass) but likely willing to stay longer if they want me to help train.

An HR Law column in the business section of a Canadian newspaper I read had some interesting comments around employees giving enough notice. The example they cite is a bit extreme but I think shows a valid point.
YVRRocketSurgery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 11:13 PM   #91
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by YVRRocketSurgery View Post
It's so situational dependent. Even though I'm still a few years away from leaving, I'm already planning what's the most optimal time of year and how much notice. For me, it would be after bonuses are paid and stocks vest near the beginning of the year. I'm likely wanting to give two months notice (after critical payment dates pass) but likely willing to stay longer if they want me to help train.

An HR Law column in the business section of a Canadian newspaper I read had some interesting comments around employees giving enough notice. The example they cite is a bit extreme but I think shows a valid point.
The article concerns employees leaving to form a competitor company, quite a bit different from leaving to retire.
Retire with 2 weeks notice, or drop dead at work without notice, the first one is easier on the employer.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:11 AM   #92
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

As a follow up, I was able to delay any significant training. I gave my 30 days notice on March 1. And, I got my bonus today.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:43 AM   #93

Congratulations on both counts, InTheSticks!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:58 AM   #94
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Congratulations on both counts, InTheSticks!
Thanks!
Old 03-05-2016, 12:23 PM   #95
Recycles dryer sheets

Then take the bonus and run!...................Good luck! in many cases, the company will be remorseful and miss you for about 36 seconds! Time to move on.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Dcharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:06 PM   #96
Recycles dryer sheets

I thought I'd give one more update on this, since a month has passed. Everything has gone SO well. In fact instead of worrying about being penalized, I should have not stressed at all. The last 30 days have been great and my boss has been very supportive - jealous in a good way actually (although he could retire himself any day he wants). Gradually my work calendar has wound down as I transferred projects to people on my team and I am on spring break this week. I am hoping he has a backfill for my job to transition some of the final administrivia to by 4/1. He said he thinks he might have someone lined up by then.
Kickernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:22 AM   #97
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Always gratifying to read about happy endings. Congrats.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 03:13 PM   #98
Recycles dryer sheets

I gave my boss a polite heads up last week that I would like to go down to half time work, plus work from my house in Washington state starting September this year. This was about 5 1/2 months notice. The good news is that he said yes, no problem. The bad news is that he said yes, no problem.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
OrcasIslandBound is offline   Reply With Quote