Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-27-2020, 02:17 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Being retired for 4 years, I had never even heard of Zoom until about 3 weeks ago.
Since then, we have had 4 Zoom get together's with family and friends. DS is working from home, so he has access to a corporate account to set up meetings. A friend of ours also has corporate access and has set up meetings.

It seems like a lot of businesses are using it.

I just checked the stock price. It is up 140% since the beginning of the year.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2020, 02:17 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Weíve been using zoom for a weekly family gathering. I use it on a tablet so less security concerns. it is very user friendly for senior non tech savvy family members to participate. Brings much joy to get together with remote family located in 4 cities.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 02:18 PM   #23

We use Zoom often when we communicate with multiple family members about a couple of times a week. I also Zoom with my tennis league members to catch up on things and to socialize.

DW uses Skype also to communicate with DD a few times a week.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 02:45 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We have done several Zoom sessions. They are fun. I have heard of security concerns about strangers logging in to unsecured sessions. Good luck with ours -nothing sensitive on them.
Old 04-27-2020, 03:11 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Use Zoom on my Galaxy Samsung for a few meetings. Relatives 15th birthday. Underpowered.

heh heh heh - may have to upgrade old desktop or smartphone if this becomes the new normal. Or dust off my Curmudgeon Certificate.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 06:12 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have been doing it a lot lately. 2-3 friends/couples we do cocktail hours with aver 3 days or so, family and others, we are usually "Zooming" almost every day now.

Had fun with it yesterday. Our son is moving to FL, leaving Thurs. DW set up a "surprise going away party" for a whole bunch of his friends. Then I told him that my mother wanted to do a video chat with him 10 minutes before the surprise party started. They chatted for a bit, then said bye, and right then all of his friends, 9 of them, started popping up in the zoom screen. He was really surprised.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:52 PM   #27

My temple has been using Zoom for services. It is great to connect with the other members.
I just updated Zoom, and hopefully, the security will be better. There should be a special place in Hades for the Zoom bombers, especially the ones with racist overtones.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:00 PM   #28

Our family has been using Zoom every 2-3 weeks. Five or 6 families. Works well and we are all pleased with it. Never have any to discuss that is personal and confidential so any 'snoops' would get really bored at us all talking mostly about nothing.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Anyone using ZOOM as a means of staying in touch?
Old 04-27-2020, 10:17 PM   #29

Anyone using ZOOM as a means of staying in touch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
Weíve been using a paid subscription to Zoom for our HOA meetings. It was the easiest to use over multiple platforms for a reasonable subscription rate. Zoom has made some changes to the settings to improve security as far as uninvited guests. We do not use the record function, but if there is still a security risk of someone seeing the content of our meeting, Iím not worried. Itís boring, even to those of us who have a connection to the community.

Iíve used the free access to Zoom to see friends for happy hour, family game night, and book club. We joked at book club that if someone busted in to show naked photos, we might not be as offended as they hoped!

Any time you are online there is a security risk.

Yes but , zoom has a notoriously bad attitude about security. Itís clear that security is nowhere near a priority with them despite the fixes theyíve been forced to make. Itís easy to use , just donít talk about sensitive info on it. And donít be surprised if some one figures out how to get access to your computing appliance someday via zoom.
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 04:53 AM   #30

we have been using google duo. it is face to face and don't know if you can conference with it. mostly just use it for seeing the kids and the families individually. it works pretty well though and is free.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 05:22 AM   #31

Weíve used Zoom for parish council meeting and KoC meetings. DW has used it for family/friends get togethers that includes people without iOS. We use FaceTime for iOS users. Iíve had three medical appointments, one with FaceTime and two with a medical specific program that worked quite well and was secure. I donít recall the name.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 06:23 AM   #32

We use FaceTime. We have a small family so it is very easy to just do a connection when we feel like we need to see them.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:32 AM   #33

We've been using Zoom to have virtual HS alumni get-togethers...not our whole class, but we had about 2 dozen people throughout the evening, with up to 15 at one time. Everyone was pretty good about taking turns and asking questions to draw out those who hadn't spoken. We use a password, so no worries about uninvited guests.

I've also used Facebook Messenger, which I trust less, but it's no additional trouble for the less technical people (mostly family members), and I can see when people are online. I have only used it for one-on-one chats, though.

I've also been using Jitsi Meet, which is a free, open-source video conferencing platform. They're working on end-to-end encryption, but I'm not discussing PINs or account numbers, so I'm not overly concerned. It is more collaborative and less regimented than the solutions for offices like WebEx, in that anyone can mute or kick out anyone else.

Speaking of which, I literally just signed up for a WebEx account while composing this; I've used it as a participant, and it's pretty good, so I'll give that a try, too.

And I've been using Microsoft Teams to have my "water cooler" chats with my coworkers, to check in on how they're doing and to discuss the stuff I'd rather not put down in email or IM.
Old 04-28-2020, 10:19 AM   #34

I subscribed to Zoom a month ago. I find that itís a great way to keep in touch and works amazingly well. If youíre concerned about security, use a password. And watch who joins your session.

So far I have two reoccurring weekly Zoom sessions. One is a happy hour with friends and the other is a concert my friends put on every week. For the latter, Iím amazed at how well their performance works over Zoom. I also have a foreign language meetup that meets every other week.

I also work full time and we are heavily dependent on Zoom. We used Zoom BC (before covid) and Iíve always been impressed with it compared to the alternatives.
Old 04-28-2020, 11:34 AM   #35

We also have a family Sunday night Zoom get together. I set up a meeting for my late wife's birthday with about 8-10 friends. And i toured the Roman Colosseum virtually with a tour guide

Comes in very handy and easy enough for all to set up & get in
Scrapr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 06:56 PM   #36

Seems like everyone around here is using Zoom. We use it to stay in touch with friends and family and to coordinate volunteer activities with 2-3 organizations. I've read about some of the security concerns but they all had been fixed.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:18 PM   #37

My volunteer teaching went to Zoom in early March. Subscription through the university Not the same as in person but was much better than Skype that's for sure.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 02:43 PM   #38

I wanted to see if anyone has suggestions to make my Zoom experiences better. I am having several Zoom business type meetings per week (usually non profit Boards), Church services, family get togethers and social virtual cocktail hours (last night one one with 20 friends) etc. It seems as if I am spending several hours per week on Zoom and it appears that it may continue indefinitely.

I want these Zoom meetings to be better. I am using my Mac Book Pro with its camera and sound. So far I have not bought anything extra like a separate microphone, headset or camera. I try to set up my computer on level with my face in a quiet well lighted area. However it seems like other people are not making any effort. Many people are in a dark room and I can barely see their faces in the dark. Sometimes the camera is looking up or down at their faces. Some people do not speak loudly enough or their words are garbled. At the virtual cocktail party last night one couple was eating peanuts or something and I heard alot of crunching.

Is there any thing I can do on my end so that I can hear people better who are not speaking or for some reason their voices are garbled? Anything I can do from my end to help me see people who are sitting in the dark? Or are these just problems on the other end?

I am a secretary of a nonprofit board meeting on Zoom and I am finding it especially hard to take minutes. What can I tell the other Board members to do on their end so I can hear/see them better?
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 02:58 PM   #39

Yes. In the last few weeks we been having board meeting using zoom. I like them and seems to work very well.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 02:59 PM   #40

I have a desktop PC. I bought an inexpensive camera from eBay, which works great. It has a built in microphone which did not have the sensitivity. I bought a condenser mike from eBay also, which works great
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Professiona...72.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1080P-HD-US...QAAOSwhe1evPOY

Total expenditure about $55.

For the other people, here is a URL start at 5:54 where she talks about lighting and setup, DW found it for us to use

Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote