Anyone using ZOOM as a means of staying in touch?

You might already know this, but one useful thing I discovered is that you can choose between Speaker View and Gallery View by clicking on the icons in the upper right corner of the screen. With Speaker View (which might be the default), the speaker occupies a large portion of the screen & the other participants are shown in small thumbnails; with Gallery View, everyone is the same size no matter who is speaking. It can be exhausting to be looking at a giant face on the screen most of the time & I find I really prefer Gallery View, especially if there are fewer participants. When everyone is the same size, it's more like real life, when you're looking at everyone across the table; you don't have to stare at someone every second if they're doing a lot of talking, & you get to see everyone equally, even people who aren't talking a lot.

I also discovered it can be fun sometimes to use a virtual background for yourself when you're attending. You can choose one by clicking on the tiny arrow next to "Show Video" at the bottom; Zoom has a few to choose from (like a beach scene), or you can click on the + sign next to the default photos & upload your own. (I'm currently using a photo I took at a flower show, & I have a photo of Citifield waiting in the wings.) Warning: once you use a virtual background at a meeting, it'll be there the next time you log into Zoom unless you change back to your real-life background before leaving that meeting.

As other have mentioned, for business meetings or any meeting with many participants it's usually necessary to remind everyone frequently to mute their microphone & unmute it only when they speak. People don't realize how much background noise the mikes pick up, which can make any speaking difficult to hear even when there are only a few participants.

Yes I know about Speaker View and Gallery view and I have experimented using both --sometimes the Speaker view helps me when I have to take notes from a meeting and I am having trouble hearing the speaker. I do not like the virtual background some other participants are using--some are too busy and some are too dark making seeing them difficult. I think a plain back ground is better.

Thanks for the suggestion of muting/unmuting. For the nonprofit where I am the secretary I have asked the Chair to please instruct people to mute/unmute. I have told the Chair that I am unable to hear speakers on Zoom and if things do not improve I will have to resign as Secretary --I think that got everyone's attention so that should improve.

As for social Zoom events I will just have to put up with the chaos if I want to participate.

Back
Top Bottom