Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-17-2021, 09:54 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm just amazed at how smart I am because I know there is no such thing as luck.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2021, 10:00 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I'm just amazed at how smart I am because I know there is no such thing as luck.
luck, chance, kismet, karma, opportunities, choices made that set other actions in motion (a butterfly flapping its wings leading to a hurricane)...call it what you will but it does play a part in all of our lives.

i do know one thing is true...the older i get the smarter my folks become.
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 10:12 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
i disagree , i think my skill is knowing how lucky i am ( now and in the past )

in relation to the OP

NO
i think i need to double what i have ( but don't put a $value on property , i value that on income minus costs )

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Yep, absolutely.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:33 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Yep, absolutely.

I think the same thing, when I look at our portfolio and think, how the heck did that happen, and squint my eyes to make sure I'm looking at the numbers right. Then I think back to when we bought a house in 1999, had basically zero net worth....and in 21 years, we accumulated a ridiculous level of net worth, with no crazy schemes, no options, no individual stocks, simply index ETF's, and being prudent and having a wife that is low maintenance, and now we are both retired at 55.
Toddtheformeraccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:30 PM   #45

Only when I look at what I have now compared to the negative net worth I had as a college graduate in 1982

"Well, how did I get here?"

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...A1%26PC%3dHCTS
Old 04-18-2021, 12:47 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Yes. And although we worked at it saving, investing and LBYMing, we’re not self-congratulatory about it - there was some luck involved (for all of us). We did much better financially than our expectations when all is said and done, but it isn’t over yet...there are still no guarantees, just probability. We hope for the best, but we know it could all go pear shaped before the finish line.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 01:42 AM   #47

To the OP's question....yes, absolutely.

I'm still working but we blew through our number a while back. With the market run-up, we've now also blown through our charity target and put money aside to help family. I'm contractually obligated to work a bit longer so we've added a beach house to the plan. If I decide to go past the current contract, I have no idea what we'll do with the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
But let's face it, during that time, there hasnít been an Ďextendedí truly painful bear market.
Combine that with the federal reserve & their equivalents around the world, playing the zero interest rate game, & you have the financial markets without any competition.

Something tells me it will be very hard to match the previous 40 year market returns, in the following 40.

I was thinking this exact same thing. I believe the underlying economic engine is still primed for long term growth, but substantially different government policies could really change how easy it is to create wealth.
Old 04-18-2021, 04:10 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

It is astounding

But there are 2 key things:

watching what we spend (which is even better than making more, since an extra dollar of income is taxed and nets to less, while a dollar saved is untaxed)

investing wisely--even with some bumps along the way stocks have been money making machines--As much as we have saved, the unrealized capital gains are well over half our balances, which has greatly inflated our net worth.
firewhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 04:17 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Hardly a day goes by I don't look at our Net Worth and say WTF.

Like may others in this thread we got here through meticulous planning and some luck. But here we are so now the job is to do some good in the world and not just become some rich jerk.

I try and stay humble but its hard not to pat yourself on the back a bit. I just do it in private.
53anddone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 04:55 AM   #50

Yeah, I can stand back and say "wow". But I also know exactly how I got here: hard work, career progressions, lucky to be born when I was, happened to choose a field that turned out to be well-paying, good health, lucky to invest during an epic bull market, company stock options/RSU's/bonuses, Saving 100% of DW's salary while living off of mine until the point where we had our only kid and DW switched to SAH.

I do recall certain milestones, like when our savings went over 6 figures the first time (I say "the first time" because it bounced around quite a bit and, yeah, there was 2008). I also remember the first time our portfolio grew more in a year than my year's salary.

That's not to say I couldn't have done better, sooner. I most certainly could have learned more about investing sooner than I did, but I simply wasn't interested when I was younger as retirement seemed so far away. I invested, sure, but it was haphazard and without a real plan. And I made one career move that would have been life altering by leaving a startup company a year before it went public because I was convinced that it was not even going to survive another year. And I've been layed off from work a few times, though almost every time I saw it coming and already had the next gig lined up before I was notified. And I usually made significant money in the process between severance packages and sign-on bonuses. Not all rosy as there was one time in 2012-13 where I was between jobs for 10 months and was seriously starting to wonder if I had been chosen to be an earlier retiree than I had planned. But we had already done all of the right things and were able to weather it till the next job finally did come along. And now if they show me the door, I'm done. Though I'd really prefer that it happen after summer 2022 when a significant number of RSU's vest.

Real life is messy and success is always going to be a combination of skill, hard work, and luck.

Cheers.
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:27 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddtheformeraccountant View Post
I think the same thing, when I look at our portfolio and think, how the heck did that happen, and squint my eyes to make sure I'm looking at the numbers right.
Same! This disbelief - this feeling of "this is too good to be true" - is what's causing me to pore over our numbers EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. I'm waiting to find a mistake one day.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:38 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

I do, then I read this site and realize that I am a slacker.
Sniggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:53 AM   #53

I always believed I would have a good saving when I reached retirement age. I knew that because I worked hard for that goal and it was my main focus to have a large stash. (Opportunity, took risks, had goals, saved no matter what, was frugal).

When I started my career in late 70's and into early 80's I was making less the (11K gross) a year and things gradually went up. I was saving money like crazy and considered myself as a wealthy dude! Lol

What does surprises me thou, is the amount that has been accumulated. Save and the rest will take care of itself.

I really enjoyed the many success stories and your responses.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:10 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Been planning since early 20’s but still amazed. Met with my financial adviser who asked”so what is your plan/goal with what you have accumulated”. he gave us a goal to figure out how to spend more! This is the guy who makes more if we have more.
Rocky mtn high is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 12:46 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky mtn high View Post
Been planning since early 20ís ......
Wow, you must be over a hundred years old.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Anyone wake up and say "How did I accumulate so much?"
Old 04-18-2021, 01:30 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Anyone wake up and say "How did I accumulate so much?"

Nope. I know perfectly well how I accumulated what I have. I planned, worked hard, and was lucky enough to retire into a good SORR back in 2009. The market has done nothing but boom.

I do sometimes wake up and say, "When will the market plummet again like it did in 2008-2009?". One of these days this market boom will be over. You know it, and I know it. Got to happen eventually. The market giveth, and the market taketh away.

When that happens, I won't awaken and wonder "Where the H*** did it all go?" I'll know.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 01:36 PM   #57

No.
Old 04-18-2021, 03:03 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

No. I know exactly how I accumulated all the stuff. The hard part is to decumulate.
Old 04-18-2021, 03:05 PM   #59
gone traveling

Not yet....
Tiger8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 03:38 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz investor View Post
i disagree , i think my skill is knowing how lucky i am ( now and in the past )

in relation to the OP

NO
i think i need to double what i have ( but don't put a $value on property , i value that on income minus costs )
Ah, you are still not used to @Travelover's sense of humor.