Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-10-2020, 09:06 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
The Long form can be very time consuming and intrusive. Personally, I would not complete it. TMI.
Those who don't are repeatedly hounded for years by census workers, which generally doesn't improve the reception those census workers get.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2020, 09:32 AM   #22

Old GF did it in 2010 before I met her. It was good money for her, but she said she'd never do it again and felt endangered at least once a week. We would be driving around out in the country and she'd point out houses and farms where she said she was threatened with guns or told she'd get a thrashing if she didn't leave ASAP.
Most of the people that didn't fill the forms out and she had to visit didn't much care to have the government poking about.
Me? I'm not knocking on strangers doors period.
https://youtu.be/EfBxxwZy9J4
Old 01-10-2020, 03:01 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I worked for the census in 2009 and 2010.

2009 work was mostly verifying addresses against government electronic maps and GPS coordinates to get ready for the 2010 census. Lots of new residences in my county. Walking in dense neighbourhoods, driving in rural ones.

It was fun.

2010 work was awful. I quit early. People do not want government workers on their land. Lots of big growling, snapping dogs. (I love dogs but these dogs were trained to guard property.)

Both years I worked Monday - Friday, daytime. I would NEVER work nights and weekends. Too many guns and guard dogs in the bad parts of my town and all over the county. Let alone whatever drug lab I might run into.
gretah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 03:19 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

There's another SNL census skit with Betty White, but this one by Christopher Walken is a classic...

https://www.moddb.com/members/moxbes...stopher-walken
Mmm Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:27 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Complying with the Census is Federal law, although I don't think it is enforced too sternly (if at all). I'm surprised, though, that those who actually threaten Census workers aren't eventually "hounded" by somebody with a gun and a badge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Those who don't are repeatedly hounded for years by census workers, which generally doesn't improve the reception those census workers get.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 04:49 AM   #26

I worked with a research company and we did surveys that involved knocking on doors and convincing people to take the survey. the names were chosen by some formula that I do not know. the point is when they sent me into an area and I had gotten all the people that would voluntarily do the survey, they would send me to a different area and send someone else to the area I just worked. It seems different people could get survey's answered by different survey takers. I know it seems strange, but it worked for the company I worked for.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 12:28 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I signed up online and received the standard email that they will be in touch. I used to do "house calls " to collect debt. I would think counting noses would be way less offensive than collecting $ or vehicles. I live in rural area and don't really have concerns. I was hounded by the local nutter that worked for census in the past. That's partly why I applied, I was resistant to giving up my personal information to a know gossip. Thought if I'm assigned locally i know lots of people and hopefully am looked at as more trustworthy [emoji41]
Old 01-17-2020, 12:33 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Complying with the Census is Federal law, although I don't think it is enforced too sternly (if at all). I'm surprised, though, that those who actually threaten Census workers aren't eventually "hounded" by somebody with a gun and a badge.
The Constitution supports the counting of people in order to properly allocate representatives, electoral college numbers, etc. The other data the long form wants serves no Constitutional purpose.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 01:55 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmm Rrr View Post
There's another SNL census skit with Betty White, but this one by Christopher Walken is a classic...

https://www.moddb.com/members/moxbes...stopher-walken
This is really funny!
Old 01-17-2020, 02:45 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
The Constitution supports the counting of people in order to properly allocate representatives, electoral college numbers, etc. The other data the long form wants serves no Constitutional purpose.
+1.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:03 PM   #31
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backpacker View Post
I signed up online and received the standard email that they will be in touch. I used to do "house calls " to collect debt. I would think counting noses would be way less offensive than collecting $ or vehicles. I live in rural area and don't really have concerns. I was hounded by the local nutter that worked for census in the past. That's partly why I applied, I was resistant to giving up my personal information to a know gossip. Thought if I'm assigned locally i know lots of people and hopefully am looked at as more trustworthy [emoji41]
I signed up online, because I'm a recent transplant to a rural area, thought it would be a way to get to know some of the locals. They actually called me and gave me the job yesterday: $20hr +0.59/mile, said it'd be about 20-35 hrs/week. I'm so rural, I'd probably make more off mileage than the hourly.

However, I ran the numbers today, and aside from interfering with my busy lifestyle of doing absolutely nothing, the income would blow me past my desired ACA MAGI. Well, so there's that, plus the incipient fear of being shot by some of the stand-my-ground free-staters...
Graysand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:31 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
A retired fellow winemaker has been working for the census department for the past two years. He drives all over the place checking out addresses, and residences in rural areas. He will go up dirt roads to see how many living quarters may be up a road, and to see if those living quarters match with mailboxes/addresses/ postal routes and IIRC, IRS records to make sure they are sent the census forms. Physical counting doesn't occur unless you didn't send in your form and requires a friendly visit. He has been run off and threatened with bodily harm several times. Not something I would want to do, for whatever noble reason i would have.
Well, you can't really expect to make $18/hour without getting shot at, can you?
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:02 PM   #33

I worked in the 1970 Census as a cute 19-year-old college student (I had just transferred from a 'semesters-based' college to a 'quarters-based' college, so I had a few months in-between to kill.)

The Pros:

$10/hr. which was GREAT money for a college kid in 1970.

The Cons:

>> I didn't have a car, so I was riding public transport all around Cleveland.
>>The census was in the Feb/March time frame. It was freezing cold, with lots of snow and slush on the ground (cold, wet feet anyone?)
>> I'd run into mailmen during the day while on my "route". They'd ask me about my "route" and were surprised that I was covering a lot more territory daily than they did.
>> I was sent to very sketchy areas of town, including the "near east side". Going door-to-door in 5-6 story decrepit apartment buildings was a bit harrowing. (Likely not the smartest/safest thing for a cute young college gal, all by herself.)
>>One of my jobs was to knock on doors and ask how many living quarters were at that address. Folks either wouldn't answer the door (I could see or hear them inside) or they would would often lie and understate the quantity, thinking that an honest response would result in higher taxes for them. So we were trained to count things like mailboxes and electric meters, for example, to try to tease out how many living quarters (= separate kitchen, bathroom, and sleeping room(s)) were REALLY at that address.
>> I saw young men breaking off the 'bodies' of long-necked beer bottles in the 'hood. Didn't know what that meant....I guess they were fixing for a fight.
>> I was eventually promoted to administrating tests to aspiring census-takers. So there I am, alone in a room in an empty community center in yet anbothr sketchy part of town, waiting for random people to show up. I remember one of the (dis)qualification questions was "Are you a felon?" One guy said "Yes" so I had to tell him he couldn't take the test. (I was afraid to tell him, but he seemed to take it OK. He was probably the first felon I'd ever met.)
>> etc. etc.

---

I toyed with the thought of working for the 2020 census -- 50 years later -- as sort of a 'full circle' moment...but decided it wouldn't be worth the hassle.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 05:49 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

So... last week both DS and I received the "selection" call to be a census enumerator.

In this age of coronavirus, I am debating if I will pursue. I will get the background check, and at least go through the training, for which I will be paid for. The training is a month away, so I will judge things based on the environment at that time.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:58 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I heard on NPR, that they were having trouble keeping people as many are deciding not to do it as Meeting with a group for the training during Covid-19 time seems dangerous.
Old 03-15-2020, 11:41 PM   #36

you couldn't pay me enough...
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 04:21 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

I think they'll have to postpone it given the current situation. Not enough people wanting to go to strangers' homes, not enough people wanting to let strangers in their home (official credentials or not).
prudent_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 11:49 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I signed up to work it but when they called today said no.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:04 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Over the last few months I received a call once a month asking if I was still interested. I said yes. Finally training has been scheduled. Only 2 hours in a classroom (with social distancing), 40 hours online. One will paid for training even if one decides not to continue afterwards. I'm curious to see what type of "protection" they will put in place for census workers. It will be interesting to see if they realize that they may get fewer workers (in addition to those who have already dropped out) if they do not set an expectation of "we want you to be safe".
Old 07-17-2020, 12:15 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
Over the last few months I received a call once a month asking if I was still interested. I said yes. Finally training has been scheduled. Only 2 hours in a classroom (with social distancing), 40 hours online. One will paid for training even if one decides not to continue afterwards. I'm curious to see what type of "protection" they will put in place for census workers. It will be interesting to see if they realize that they may get fewer workers (in addition to those who have already dropped out) if they do not set an expectation of "we want you to be safe".
a buddy used to do this and he said most people were at least not hostile but some neighborhoods he refused to go back to fearing violence. be careful and choose wisely if offered a choice of territory.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote