Join Early Retirement Today

Apple Music
Old 12-16-2022, 03:36 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Apple Music

My car got updated with latest software and now has the native Apple Music player built in. So excited!

I’ve really been using Apple Music heavily for the past year. Their personalized “stations” are very very good and updated every week. I’ve started using them a lot. It’s so much easier to “find something to listen to” than it used to be.

Up till now I did streaming over Bluetooth from my phone in my car if I wanted to listen to Apple Music, dealing with the UI on the phone. Now I don’t even have to have the phone with me to enjoy it!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2022, 03:54 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If your phone doesn’t need to be there, who is paying for the cellular? service to download the songs to the player for you?
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 04:47 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaunchyPirate View Post
If your phone doesn’t need to be there, who is paying for the cellular? service to download the songs to the player for you?
The car has its own cell data connection that it uses for all sorts of stuff. The first year was included with purchase of the Tesla Model X. After that it is around $10 a month if I want to keep the premium connectivity which includes music and video streaming and live traffic updates. Basic connectivity will still be included.
Old 12-16-2022, 05:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
The car has its own cell data connection that it uses for all sorts of stuff. The first year was included with purchase of the Tesla Model X. After that it is around $10 a month if I want to keep the premium connectivity which includes music and video streaming and live traffic updates. Basic connectivity will still be included.
Nice. Probably worth $120 a year to me.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 05:35 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaunchyPirate View Post
Nice. Probably worth $120 a year to me.
I think annual is $99.

Yeah, it’s nice being able to watch Netflix or YouTube in the car. Only available while parked of course.
Old 12-18-2022, 07:49 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

This posted as a very nice in-line media player in another forum. Too bad that didn’t work here. https://music.apple.com/us/album/beat-street/271952942
Old 12-18-2022, 04:24 PM   #7

Good to know about the Apple Music app support. I’ve been keeping my Tidal music subscription because Tesla also supports that music app. Mine is an older 2014 Tesla S, so there has so far been no additional charge for premium connectivity services.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 06:07 PM   #8

+1 for Tidal music service. At the same price as Apple Music, Tidal delivers the best quality streaming of any service and also has great curated stations, playlists and any song I ever want to listen to.
Old 12-18-2022, 06:29 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I’ve been immersed in Apple Music for a long time now so I’m not likely to switch.
Old 12-18-2022, 07:13 PM   #10

Quote:
I’ve been immersed in Apple Music for a long time now so I’m not likely to switch.

Me either. I find that the autogenerated playlists on Apple are good. It’s what converted me from Spotify.
Old 12-18-2022, 07:34 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I had a massive iTunes library before I even used Apple Music so there is a lot of history for Apple Music to work from.
Old 12-18-2022, 08:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
Me either. I find that the autogenerated playlists on Apple are good. It’s what converted me from Spotify.
Quote:
I had a massive iTunes library before I even used Apple Music so there is a lot of history for Apple Music to work from.
Interesting. I tried Apple for awhile and was very disappointed in the music they lied” me. I thought Pandora did a much better job figuring out what I like to listen to. The thing that disappoints me about Pandora is that I cannot select a specific song or album to listen to. However, for free, Pandora does pretty well for me.
Old 12-19-2022, 07:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
That’s pretty much how I listen to music now.

“Hey siri play some music”

It takes into consideration variables like time of day (calm music in the early morning) and if I’m in the car or not. It’s very good at mixing stuff I’ve know I like with other music that fits right in.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 08:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Interesting. I tried Apple for awhile and was very disappointed in the music they lied” me. I thought Pandora did a much better job figuring out what I like to listen to. The thing that disappoints me about Pandora is that I cannot select a specific song or album to listen to. However, for free, Pandora does pretty well for me.

I haven’t used Pandora in years, but when I did, it was excellent.

I don’t want more than one music service, especially if I’m paying, and I won’t use a service that plays ads.
Old 12-19-2022, 09:18 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Like the Apple fans, I’ve invested quite a bit of time with Pandora and it feeds me great music - some of which I’m hearing for the first time and never would have heard if just using a play list. I also just use the free version. On average, there’s less than 5 minutes of ads per hour. For whatever reason, when playing via the Roku, I don’t think we ever get ads, but I get them when listening on my phone using the same account. You can search for and play any song, but if using the free version, it will make you listen to an ad if trying to play specific music.

I used to like Amazon Music for play lists. It’s free with Prime, but they have lots of songs behind their Unlimited pay wall. Recently, I’ve noticed Amazon Music stops playing randomly, requiring me to press the Play button. Kind of a pain if the phone is across the room or indoors while playing on outdoor speakers. I’ve now just given up on it.
Old 12-19-2022, 08:06 PM   #16

Started testing out Apple Music this week, got a free 6 month trial. Have been using Amazon Music Unlimited and downloaded my personal playlist (~350 songs) into Apple Music so have the exact same songs in both. I download the songs to my iPhone for offline listening since I don't have an unlimited data plan.

Have a couple questions on the audio quality of music available through Apple Music. I see they offer lossless audio as the highest quality but from what I've read it doesn't work with bluetooth headphones so I selected to download 'high quality' audio assuming that was the next best. When I was listening to music this morning in the gym I could tell that the audio quality using Apple Music wasn't as good as I'm used to with Amazon (HD and UltraHD audio).

Also noticed when I checked my app storage on the iPhone that Amazon Music uses 5X more storage than Apple Music for the same song list, makes me think that maybe I didn't select the best audio quality for Apple Music to download. Storage isn't an issue, just want the highest quality audio I can get with Apple Music using bluetooth headphones (Bose QuietComfort earbuds). Any suggestions?
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 06:48 AM   #17

Here’s a good article on how Apple Lossless audio works.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212183

You can download the lossless audio files and Apple Music will downsample them to work as best it can with the codex your equip,ent is using.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 04:14 PM   #18

I trialed a number of streaming services—apple music for 6 months, then Tidal music for 6 months, Amazon music unlimited for 3 months, then settled on subscribing to Tidal music for $10/month. Prior to that, I had been subscribing to ad-free Pandora for $5/month for years. And prior to that, XM radio for years. I like the high streaming quality of Tidal music, and their curated Top Tracks when I select an artist/band.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote