Are you retired?

Yes, retired at 56. For 20+years, I had planned to retire at 55, missed it by 3 months.

Have the day you deserve, and let Karma sort it out.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Yes, Retired!
I am 56, but original plan was for age 57. We decided we could do it financially so pulled the trigger. Been 5 months..so wonderful.

Are you retired?

How old are you when you retire?

When do you want to retire?

I like to calculate the average age of the people here FIREed. It's a long dream of my but never have enough guts or money to pull the trigger.

enuff

Yes

was before i discovered this site. thought i needed much more than i actually did.

I'm 58. Retired at 51. Right when I wanted to. Coming up on 7 years July 1. There is no seven year itch to go back to w*rk!

Yes

ASAP (In a 34-year teaching career, I only worked full-time for 11. All the rest were part-time. So, in the last 12-15 years, I socked away about 85% of my salary in retirement accts., preparing to buy my freedom.) We tried to live primarily on DH's income.

Retired 12/31/15

Age 60

I would have retired a year earlier, but was asked to stay (too valuable to lose at the time) - and was provided 5 years of health insurance and a small pension (5 year stipend equal to one year pay in total - can easily delay SS now) as a benefit for doing so. It was absolutely the worst year of my life due to the job stress, but in retrospect, I guess it was worth it. I was comfortably FIRE at 59 and could have probably left at 55, but OMY turned into 5.

New to the forum, but have been lurking for about 4-5 years. "Free" was available so I took it! Pretty much sums up the way I feel.

No, technically I'm unemployed drawing on UIB

I left county employment at 50, pensioned out to a new career (less than 24 / 7 / 365 on call). Became double dipper

Wanted to slow down at 50.

Last edited:
1. Almost!
2. 56
3. 14 July 2016

1. No but I could if I wanted to
2. 52
3. 3 to 5 years?

56, retired just three months ago - loving it!

Yes.

Retired at 59. Planned to work until 61/62 but a golden handshake moved the retirement forward. A wonderful gift.

Enjoyed work, enjoy retirement more. Lots more travel now.. Completely changed our lifestyle. Happier and healthier.

Yes, I am retired.

At age 54.

Took early out offer. Was originally planning on retirement at 56.

It's pretty awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Yes

At 43, DW and I ran the numbers, figured we could start a 7-year plan...

Retired in 2006, that's a decade now, Wowzers!

Yes, I retired 10 days ago at age 57. I still just feel like I'm on vacation since we're living out of our suitcases until our household goods shipment arrives.

I completely retired in March, 2016, age 62 1/2.

Although I pipe-dreamed of an earlier retirement, I'm not unhappy that I waited. Earlier would not have worked out for me financially, and I was able to manage my last years of work by cutting back and enjoying the combination of more time, while still earning some and not digging into the nut.
Now that I'm out, I realize that for me, it was the perfect time. I don't miss it at all. Not one bit. DW is still working (she's 58 1/2). It's her call as to when to pull the plug. I'm happy, she's happy..

Been fully retired for almost three years. Retired at 60, went back to work part time for seven years and loved it. I liked the work I was doing and the people I worked with. Now love full time retired.

Retired last year at age 59, but I do have Disability payments coming.
Although Financially independent without the payments.

Been retired for 125 weeks. I know that because I started an Excel spreadsheet calendar that starts on my last day of w*rk. I record my planned and actual events, so it shows that I've spent about 1/4 of my time traveling. But I've only got 10% of the next 52 weeks booked, so I've got to get busy planning!

Attachments

• oyc.png
    oyc.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I retired at age 52. That was four years ago.Wonderful feeling. I'm happy not to dread Sunday jafternoon, my weeks are marked by Sunday morning church attendance. Yeah!
I spend much less money than pre retirement and travel a lot more.
Praise God!

WB52 you answered this last year. How did you happen to stumble on this thread again (and reactivate it)? Just curious.

I see I missed this thread from last year.

Yes.

Retired at 39 in 1999 - will be 17 years in August.

I knew it was possible at age 35, so started figuring out what it would really take, and kind of in fun set before the next century (i.e. Y2K) as my personal goal.

I'm not retired.

I plan to retire at age 62 in about 15 months.

Originally I had wanted to retire at 59 1/2 years when I became eligible for a pension. Would have preferred to retire even earlier at 55 but my agency did not offer early outs for my position and I was not financially ready. I accelerated my savings at age 50 with 401k catchup contributions, a Roth IRA, and extra money towards my mortgage. But it was too little too late and I did not handle my 401k well during the recession which eliminated any chance of retiring early unless I was willing to cut my spending drastically in retirement. The increase in pension by working to age 62 will help compensate for the lower 401K.

I will be retiring in April 2017. I earlier had targeted July 2017 when my modest pension peaks out but I do not want to wait the last couple months and DW has lots of gardening projects for next spring so April it will be.

Back
Top Bottom