Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-07-2021, 12:08 PM   #321
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Retired at 58/59.

Looking back, should have, and was able to, retire at 55.

Everyone's number will be different, both the financial number/age and the lifestyle number/age.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2021, 02:25 PM   #322
Recycles dryer sheets

Are you retired? Yes.

How old are you when you retire? 51 (8 months ago)
thod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 02:56 PM   #323
Give me a forum ...

58/63 5 years in to my new career.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 03:06 PM   #324
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Original post is 6 years old.
Yes. Some of the respondents are no longer with us.

And the OP, Enuff2Eat, has not logged in for a year. I hope he's safe from Covid.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:21 AM   #325
Confused about dryer sheets

Yes, retired April 2020 at 58. Life is good. Spending time on things that I want to do. [emoji41]
WilNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:25 AM   #326
Recycles dryer sheets

Are you retired?

I think so....finally.

When did you retire?

1. At 61 the first time, and moved to Philippines (with my DW's employment).

Took a "full-time" job 6 months later that gave me 30 holidays a year, 25 days of vacation and liberal leave without pay, enabling me to play whenever I wanted to and to travel with my wife on numerous vacations and business trips throughout Asia, Europe and North America

2. Retired again at 65, when we returned to the U.S. Took a part-time consulting position 9 months later, that "guaranteed" me 100 days of work/year (if I wanted it). Slowly worked less and less each year.

3. So far this year my only earnings were my January bonus from 10 days of work in 2020... So, I guess I'm fully retired again at 71.

All in all, I've been quite happy with this. While we didn't really need the income from my working, extra money is always useful; and the flexibility, opportunity to travel and ability to work on interesting projects generally more than made up for the occasionally unwanted responsibility, anxiety and sheer drudginess of working.

My wife, meanwhile, 8 years younger than me, retired from full time work in 2015; has been working about 100 days a year since then, and seems ready to more fully retire (unless she makes a second career out of painting) at 64!

When did you want to retire?

I might have wanted to retire a bit earlier (say mid- 50's), but my first wife passed away when I was in my early 50's and I needed to raise two kids and re-establish my life.
jerryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:01 AM   #327
Recycles dryer sheets

Are you retired? Me no. DW yes homekeeper since age 30. I've shouldered the heavy lifting all these years.

When did you want to retire? ASAP maybe next year at 57yo.

The decision must be like sky diving. Pulling the rip cord and hoping the chute opens cleanly and you end up with a soft landing LOL.
ExPatKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:47 AM   #328
Give me a forum ...

Yes
Age 60
Originally thought 65, then qualified at 54 with pension, stayed for health benefits to age 60.
Old 05-13-2021, 12:12 PM   #329
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ask me again in a couple of weeks!
Old 05-13-2021, 12:20 PM   #330
Give me a forum ...

No.

Age 73. Canned by Mega at age 58 and have never found another job beyond posting here.

I'm among the long term unemployed.

DW actually "retired" at age 55, 4 years before I was tossed onto the street by heartless Mega.
Old 05-13-2021, 12:26 PM   #331
Give me a forum ...

My question is, After 6 years why are you still asking?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 01:39 AM   #332
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
No.

Age 73. Canned by Mega at age 58 and have never found another job beyond posting here.

I'm among the long term unemployed.

DW actually "retired" at age 55, 4 years before I was tossed onto the street by heartless Mega.
Heh, heh, you're only unemployed if you got unemployment from the gummint. My bet: Not so much, but since I don't know, YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 10:01 PM   #333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuff2Eat View Post
Are you retired?

How old are you when you retire?

When do you want to retire?

I like to calculate the average age of the people here FIREed. It's a long dream of my but never have enough guts or money to pull the trigger.

enuff
Yes, I am retired.

Retired 21 years ago at age 54. I retired at the age I wanted to, and i never looked back or regretted it one second.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:49 PM   #334
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
Yes, I am retired.

Retired 21 years ago at age 54. I retired at the age I wanted to, and i never looked back or regretted it one second.
One more satisfied FIRE customer with a success story for the young 'uns to emulate. Congrats and keep up the good (what shall I call it?) oh yeah, RETIREMENT!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:51 PM   #335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Congrats and keep up the good (what shall I call it?) oh yeah, RETIREMENT!
Yes, have to be careful about the language around here!
Old 05-15-2021, 06:37 AM   #336

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
Yes, I am retired.

I retired at 54 this past July, so I appreciate your successful example!
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 08:09 AM   #337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuff2Eat View Post
Are you retired?

Yes.

Quote:

I dropped to 1 day a week at 61, stopped completely at 63.

Quote:

I had not had much thought about until after reading MMM, I realized at 60yrs old I could, at 61 I told the wife, we didn't need to work, she didn't want to close the business. So, at 61, I worked 1 day a week to give her a day off. Hurricane demolished the business, when I was 63 yrs old. So then she and I were completely retired.

Quote:
I like to calculate the average age of the people here FIREed. It's a long dream of my but never have enough guts or money to pull the trigger.

enuff

I had excess savings plus SS to come, so, it was an easy decision, I knew we had enough, and it has only got better. (so far)
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:13 AM   #338
Recycles dryer sheets

Started my research at 55 on retirement with the goal of retiring by 65. With luck, we were able to retire at 60 once all kids are off the payroll. We decided that more quality time is better for us than more money. As a bonus, my liquid NW has increased since retiring due to stock market.
Green Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 02:02 PM   #339
Give me a forum ...

Are you retired?
Yes. No. Unclear. We've had rentals for over 35 years and they still occupy some of my time and efforts.

71 now. Is this retired?

Soon. soon. Eleven years ago we started going south for half the year, leaving any physical contact with the rentals behind.. pretty good. Sold a complex on time payments last year and according to our tax AGI we made 12 times what we are spending (after state and federal taxes). That is absurd. We could draw 0.65% from our net worth minus homes and fund our current living expenses. Gal likes to have multiple sources of income and massive safety redundancies and is real reluctant to sell all the rentals, but I'm burning down. I like being an owner. I like being a problem solver. I like showing that things CAN be done and I like moving money around, but I'm not doing as well with mental and physical stresses. Time for me to stop doing a job half way and fully divest.
Old 05-15-2021, 02:07 PM   #340
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Are you retired?
Yes. No. Unclear. We've had rentals for over 35 years and they still occupy some of my time and efforts.

71 now. Is this retired?

Soon. soon. Eleven years ago we started going south for half the year, leaving any physical contact with the rentals behind.. pretty good. Sold a complex on time payments last year and according to our tax AGI we made 12 times what we are spending (after state and federal taxes). That is absurd. We could draw 0.65% from our net worth minus homes and fund our current living expenses. Gal likes to have multiple sources of income and massive safety redundancies and is real reluctant to sell all the rentals, but I'm burning down. I like being an owner. I like being a problem solver. I like showing that things CAN be done and I like moving money around, but I'm not doing as well with mental and physical stresses. Time for me to stop doing a job half way and fully divest.
Just tell the "Gal" you're turning the entire operation over to her in one year. Even offer to show her (ALL) the ropes - like 3AM calls with stopped up plumbing, heh, heh. That should get things rolling.