Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Are you stashing cash - the paper kind?
Old 02-28-2019, 10:22 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Are you stashing cash - the paper kind?

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/27/ther...orruption.html

CNBC reports today that "The number of outstanding U.S. $100 bills has doubled since the financial crisis, with more than 12 billion of them across the world, according to the latest data from the Federal Reserve. C-notes have passed $1 bills in circulation, Deutsche Bank chief international economist Torsten Slok said in a note to clients this week."

I have more cash in my house today after FIRE compared to before. I just like having it around - I guess in case the ATM stops working. Now I understand that if the ATM is out for more than a few days there are probably lots of other problems that a few C-notes won't solve. Illogical, yes, but I am holding a few of those 12 billion notes and adding to the # outstanding.

How about you? Are you holding more cash (real, tangible bills) than you did in the past? If so, why?
HarveyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2019, 10:32 AM   #2

This was a long thread several months ago:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ome-93346.html
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:44 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have a stash of $ Franklins at home, but no more or less than before the ‘08 meltdown.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:46 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

If I get a C note I deposit it... there is no reason that I can think of to use them.... if I need cash I can use $20s... I will not spend a large amount of cash on anything...

BUT, I do know that overseas there are people who hold US currency and do so in C notes...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:05 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Would be interesting to see an official guess as to the per cent held outside the US. I suspect ol' Ben is the note of choice for the better off in countries that experience rampant inflation or banking problems.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:18 AM   #6

I have a stash of around a grand at home, $50s and $20s. No C notes.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:26 AM   #7

moneymattress.jpg
Old 02-28-2019, 11:31 AM   #8
gone traveling

I'm old school. No longer have a debit card. If I need more cash I withdraw at the local bank.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:31 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Would be interesting to see an official guess as to the per cent held outside the US. I suspect ol' Ben is the note of choice for the better off in countries that experience rampant inflation or banking problems.

Last I heard from people whose job it was to know, the majority is outside the US.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:47 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I do some buying/selling on Craigslist, and cash is king when it comes to wheeling & dealing! So I keep enough cash within reach to buy anything from a cell phone to a car at a moments notice, including bank holidays or weekends. Just need a shovel and a map to find it! Haha
Lienlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:51 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyS View Post
How about you? Are you holding more cash (real, tangible bills) than you did in the past? If so, why?
No, but I should be! It would be so helpful after a hurricane. I keep planning to accumulate two or three thousand dollars in twenty dollar bills, and keep it in the house. However I haven't made any progress toward doing that. I think the reason I haven't, is that I can't figure out where on earth to put it.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:53 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Last I heard from people whose job it was to know, the majority is outside the US.
Right - that’s what I was going to say. A lot of US cash is used overseas.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:56 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I've had $2500 in 10s, 20s, and 50s stashed for at least 10 years. Just in case something happens like terrorists or a foreign power or a natural disaster disable our power systems.
upset264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:59 AM   #14

Anyone stashing cash for an emergency, hurricane, earthquake, etc. would probably do well to include denominations smaller than a C note. In such a situation whatever stores might be open will probably run out of small bills. I suppose you could spend a $100 for a loaf of bread, with no change coming back, but being able to pay with a $5 would leave money for other items.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:22 PM   #15

This quote is from the previous "Keeping emergency cash..." thread. I'm not a drinker of spirits, but think if it ever came to trading, a bottle of good booze would be good in exchange for someone who's got something you want! But the reason I'm quoting is that I'm wondering if those unlableled bottles are Westvleteren. The booze lasts "forever", and the Westy 12's might last 3 years before heading down, but the lower abv ones need to be consumed. Where about in the mid-atlantic should I visit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
True, and in a postapocalyptic world, guns might be valuable but I wouldn't trade mine! And precious metals might just be pretty shiny bricks....

That's why I have a liquor cache. Even if people start distilling moonshine, I'll bet these would be worth something in trade:

(Seriously though, it's just because when I see a really good price on something we like, why not buy a few years worth? It's not like it'll ever go bad. Also, note the porcelain water filter in the back, recommended by friends who served in the Peace Corps.)
sengsational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:36 PM   #16

The U.S. dollar is the official currency of Ecuador.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:43 PM   #17

Never had cash around. I use CC a lot. If I need cash, I go to ATM to withdraw a few hundred dollars which will last me a long time. I can't think of any reason to horde cash unless I need to be on the road, hiding from authority. That's not likely to happen.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:44 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I'm wondering if those unlableled bottles are Westvleteren. The booze lasts "forever", and the Westy 12's might last 3 years before heading down,
They do appear to be Westy bottles, and I can assure you that the contents will still be excellent long after the date on the cap.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:49 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Never had cash around. I use CC a lot. If I need cash, I go to ATM to withdraw a few hundred dollars which will last me a long time. I can't think of any reason to horde cash unless I need to be on the road, hiding from authority. That's not likely to happen.
I think the point of cash on hand for most people is if ATMs go down for an extended period, or for local buy and sell purposes. Of course, it also comes in handy when you're hiding from the law
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 01:30 PM   #20

I don't mind carrying a few c-notes around, but something about the $50 bill bothers me. For some odd reason I get it confused with a 20, which has happened on more than one occasion.
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote