Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Are you still planning on snow bird to Florida this coming winter?
Old 06-28-2020, 12:06 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Are you still planning on snow bird to Florida this coming winter?

It's time of the year that we usually planning on snow bird to Florida in the winter, but due to Corvid-19, we have not been motivated to start our planning yet given the Florida numbers don't look positive. We fear that the corvid-19 spread may not be able to under control in the late fall and extending to winter.

Wondering how others think of this?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2020, 12:14 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, the plan would be to return to Florida in October. I'm more focused on the stats in our county than the state as a whole.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 06-28-2020, 12:23 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

No.

heh heh heh - pre-virus we Fort Meyered in December and Winter Texaned in February. Now? Post a vaccine might sing a different tune.
Old 06-28-2020, 12:39 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not a snowbird but we own a unit in a high rise condo on the intra-coastal in West Palm Beach Florida. We are in a wait and see mode before planning our next visit.
Old 06-28-2020, 12:45 PM   #5
Administrator

We’re doing the opposite. Staying in Florida when we normally would be further north.
Old 06-28-2020, 02:09 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Not Florida; but concerned about our normal migration to La Quinta in Riverside county California. Riverside county has about 1/2 the population and more than twice the death toll of the whole state of Oregon. Riverside county has about nine times the number of deaths as Marion and Polk counties, our normal Oregon stomping grounds. We do self quarantine pretty well though, so suspect we'll make the trip.
Old 06-28-2020, 02:11 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Me missed this past winter because of father-in-law’s cancer surgery and treatments, followed by COVID-19. We’ll be playing this year by ear to see what happens. We may end up just going down to put it on the market.
Old 06-28-2020, 02:27 PM   #8

We stayed in the Palm Springs area an extra 2 months this year. We plan to go back this January.

We made the trip home to Portland in 2 days so we only stayed 1 night in a hotel.
Old 06-28-2020, 06:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eucerin View Post
It's time of the year that we usually planning on snow bird to Florida in the winter, but due to Corvid-19, we have not been motivated to start our planning yet given the Florida numbers don't look positive. We fear that the corvid-19 spread may not be able to under control in the late fall and extending to winter.

Wondering how others think of this?
Arizona, not Florida. planning, yes. will it come about? 50-50.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
Old 06-28-2020, 06:47 PM   #10

Not snowbirding but will plan on a couple of trips south through the winter if everything under control. Hoping it will be by then.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:48 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

At this point we're just not sure. FL is being really stupid, and we'd really like to not catch this thing until they've got the treatment ironed out. We were there when Lee county opened their beaches in April, and suddenly we were inundated with Miami people. Then, surprise surprise, the infection rate started going way up. That's when we came back north. I'd hate to spend a winter in the cold, but I don't think I can get DW back there when things are looking this bad. We'd probably feel different if the spread wasn't due to Florida Man-type activity, but it is.
Old 06-28-2020, 11:21 PM   #12

Was planning to move to Fl. this month,feel safer here where it is taken seriously. Will watch and wait to see how bad it gets in the US.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:06 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Not Florida, but Arizona. This will likely be the first winter in 18 years that we didn't go to Arizona. Unless things change dramatically.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:13 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Florida was doing so well - until the leadership got smug and pulled the lid off.

I live here, but I wouldn't visit under the current circumstances. A lot of people, not all young by any means, are being unbelievably stupid about mask-wearing, etc.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:33 AM   #15

We have been using VRBO and spending a couple weeks in Florida every Feb. for the last 5 years. This year the wife wants to stay home. No warm vacation for us.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:09 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Florida was doing so well - until the leadership got smug and pulled the lid off.

I live here, but I wouldn't visit under the current circumstances. A lot of people, not all young by any means, are being unbelievably stupid about mask-wearing, etc.
+ A Lot! For us we usually plan our annual trip to Mexico at this time. But that involves air travel, DW will not step near an airport.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:00 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm planning my first full winter of snowbirding in Florida.
I own an older townhome, and it needs a bunch of work. That will keep me very busy.

I suspect Covid will greatly reduce the number of guests that I will have, and how often I go out to restaurants. I can deal with that.

I love food and cooking, and getting very used to not going out to restaurants as much.

Hoping to stay very active, and be outside in the warm weather daily. Walking, biking, gardening, swimming and possibly kayaking.

I will be driving down there, so I can bring a bunch of tools and misc gear with me.

Take care, JP
Old 06-29-2020, 09:13 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
At this point we're just not sure. FL is being really stupid, and we'd really like to not catch this thing until they've got the treatment ironed out. We were there when Lee county opened their beaches in April, and suddenly we were inundated with Miami people. Then, surprise surprise, the infection rate started going way up. That's when we came back north. I'd hate to spend a winter in the cold, but I don't think I can get DW back there when things are looking this bad. We'd probably feel different if the spread wasn't due to Florida Man-type activity, but it is.
We spent a day at the beach the last day before beaches were closed on our county and a few days after the beaches were reopened. Our experience was that people were pretty good at social distancing.... they would set up their chairs and umbrellas but usually at least 10' from others.... very different from video that I have seen... if that was hapening at a beach that I was at I'd probably pick up and go home.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 06-30-2020, 05:20 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
We spent a day at the beach the last day before beaches were closed on our county and a few days after the beaches were reopened. Our experience was that people were pretty good at social distancing.... they would set up their chairs and umbrellas but usually at least 10' from others.... very different from video that I have seen... if that was hapening at a beach that I was at I'd probably pick up and go home.
It was quite a bit different in NE Fl. I live at the beach and I won't go down except at pre-dawn. When they opened the beaches it was bad with large groups of people packed together with no masks and the bars were crowded. Now it seems like every day another restaurant or bar has closed. Some for the second or third time. Numbers are rising fast. A couple of weeks ago cases in Fl were less than 1k. This Saturday they were almost 9.6k and then yesterday they were 8.5k. It is going to be interesting in Jacksonville 2 weeks after August 24-27. I'm staying put like I have been since early Feb. except to do some fast in-and-out grocery shopping, my pre-dawn neighborhood bike ride, or for doctors appt. I would not recommend visiting Florida any time soon. There are some really twisted people here. For example: https://www.firstcoastnews.com/artic...2-288a961bd3f5

Cheers!
Old 06-30-2020, 05:26 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

With the gym situation what it is (patrons refusing to wear masks), I've taken to jogging on the beach at pre-dawn.

It's interesting how many people get onto the beach at pre-dawn - hoping, like you and me, to avoid other people. A lot have unleashed dogs with them, unfortunately. The dogs sometimes chase me. Sometimes I will see the owner, having spotted me approaching, reluctantly call the dog and clip on the leash. Or they'll give the dog the leash to carry in its mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
It was quite a bit different in NE Fl. I live at the beach and I won't go down except at pre-dawn. !
Closed Thread