Join Early Retirement Today

area rug on top of wall to wall carpet bunching up
Old 03-14-2021, 11:41 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

area rug on top of wall to wall carpet bunching up

Anyone have any experience solving the problem of having an area rug bunching up when placed on top of wall to wall carpeting? After moving the rug which used to be on a hardwood floor and stayed flat is now wrinkled and won't lie flat. Rug is big - 10 x 12, heavy and thick. Was only rolled up for 24 hours before being rolled out again. Based on my current research seems like I need a pad underneath but don't know what to get that will be successful. Please let me know if you have had a good experience with a particular product or product type.
ImThinkin2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2021, 12:10 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'd start here: https://www.homedepot.com/b/Flooring...%2Btape?NCNI-5 Cheaper than a pad if one of these tapes works.
Old 03-14-2021, 12:21 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've had success with keeping a large (8'x10') rug on a wall-to-wall carpet, by using something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Stop-No.../dp/B000HJD6NC

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 12:50 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImThinkin2019 View Post
Anyone have any experience solving the problem of having an area rug bunching up when placed on top of wall to wall carpeting?
I am a huge fan of fake oriental throw rugs, and have over half a dozen of them of various sizes (one fairly huge) which I have placed on top of wall to wall carpeting in every place I ever lived in (until my present house, which has wood flooring so they are placed on top of that instead).

Never once had that happen. I can't explain it. My guess is that you are a whole lot more active and energetic than I am! Or maybe you have kids in the house. Sorry that I can't help.
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 02:16 PM   #5

I've tried non-slip pads made to prevent rugs from slipping for a rug on carpet under my computer chair. The rug still bunches up badly. I'd try the tape. I'll probably get a roll myself.
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 07:17 AM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

The problem of a throw rug moving when on top of regular carpet is very common. It is related to the way the natural set of the carpet nap works like little fingers each time they are compressed and then rebound. Hard to predict when it will happen; in my house I have a very large rug in one room that never moves, but a medium sized rug in front of the fireplace that just won't stay still.

In my experience, the tape rarely works - it just leaves a layer of goo on your carpet over time. We can usually tame the problem by just putting an old army blanket under the offending rug. A blanket is so much more flexible and stretchy that it is much less affected by the "moving fingers" of the carpet. Sometimes it can be a perfect fix, but other times it just slows down the problem. For my problem rug in front of the fireplace, it helps a huge amount, but I still have to pull the rug back about an inch or so every few weeks.
Mauser is offline   Reply With Quote
this stuff works good for me in avoiding rug on rug bunching
Old 03-16-2021, 12:40 PM   #7

works better for me than tape.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
I'd start here: https://www.homedepot.com/b/Flooring...%2Btape?NCNI-5 Cheaper than a pad if one of these tapes works.
these worked for me for a while and then don't . plus they do leave residue behind regardless of what they say which you don't want to deal with . trust me.. see my other post for stuff that , for me , works much better.
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 01:52 PM   #9

They sell plastic panels in my local home center. If my rug isn't permanently warped from neglecting un-bunching it I may glue a plastic panel to it in addition to using a non-slip pad. If someone wants to try it before me, let me know how it works out.
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 06:30 AM   #10

I have oriental rugs on top of carpet and have successfully used a very thin pad that looks like a rubber version of expanded metal sheets. it must have the holes.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carpet, rug, trip hazard, wrinkly