Join Early Retirement Today

Asheville NC
Old 02-01-2021, 03:05 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Asheville NC

Hi all. Anyone here live in Asheville, or moved there following retirement? I am getting ready to ER and looking to move there. Would love to hear from someone who did that.
medved is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2021, 03:43 PM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have lived there before (in the 90s) and am doing an ER back to WNC this summer too. Depending on your budget, and where you are coming from, housing in Asheville is pretty pricey. Check out the City-Data forum too for some WNC specific discussions of relocation.

In my family's case we are looking at some of the towns west of Asheville. Waynesville, Sylva, and as far as Franklin are all pretty nice. Hendersonville is a popular alternative to Asheville but is located on a plateau and lacks the views IMHO.
ospreyjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 04:20 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the responses. We have been to AVL a bunch of times -- usually for only a few days or a week, but one time for a month. So we have a decent idea what its like. But of course not like someone who lives there.

It does seem the housing is pretty expensive. We probably should have bought a place there 5 years ago. Oh well. I am not too concerned though because we have saved a decent amount of money, and we are coming from a location that is more expensive than AVL.

But another issue is the housing stock. There are just not that many houses of the type and in the neighborhoods that we like that are for sale. And demand is high, so houses sell quickly, and sometimes with multiple offers. That is easier to deal with if you are already living there, and can "pounce quickly" rather than coming from of town.

I agree with the observation that AVL is diverse, both politically and in other ways -- homeless people and hippies, well-off and highly educated retirees, outdoorsy types, etc. One of the things we like about AVL is that these groups all tend to co-exist pretty well. It is less balkanized than where we come from.

The cold winters are a concern. Wife would like to address that by buying a condo in FL. My preference would be to just rent places in the winter, when we want to escape the cold. A couple of months in the Caribbean or FL or whatever, to break up the winter. We will see. First we need to find a house in AVL and then I need to pull the plug at w*rk.
Old 02-01-2021, 05:55 PM   #4
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by medved View Post
The cold winters are a concern.
This is way too funny.
Have you ever lived in Minnesota or upstate New York?
Buffalo is cold.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 06:40 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Yea, I lived for some time, as a kid, in upstate NY. The difference is now I have a choice where to live!
Old 02-01-2021, 06:49 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

No, Asheville is not politically diverse, but extremely liberal. If you want consrvative, go to the rural part of WNC, where you often see Confederate flags proudly waving from front porches and pickups.
sanfanciscotreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 07:38 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Hi all. Anyone here live in Asheville, or moved there following retirement? I am getting ready to ER and looking to move there. Would love to hear from someone who did that.

Following this thread. Asheville interest me as well, but I think we will likely move from Seattle to Charleston.
dcoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:23 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfanciscotreat View Post
No, Asheville is not politically diverse, but extremely liberal. If you want consrvative, go to the rural part of WNC, where you often see Confederate flags proudly waving from front porches and pickups.
AVL does have a "liberal reputation" -- and the city itself is pretty liberal - but Buncombe county voter registration is about 37% Democratic, 27% GOP, and 37% independent. So, whatever the reputation, there is in fact a good amount of political diversity. Asheville is represented in Congress by Rep, Cawthorn, a Republican.

In any event, I don't judge people based on their political views. Sure, there are views that I find abhorrent -- people who advocate white supremacy, terrorism, violence, etc. But I have been around long enough to know that there are people of goodwill with all sorts of different political views, and I don't need to live in an echo chamber where everyone agrees with me. Indeed, my favorite political discussions are with really smart people who disagree with me. That is a great way to learn. And if someone can recommend a good hiking trail, a great new taco place, or the best session IPA in town, then I don't care what their politics are!
Old 02-02-2021, 05:58 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Medved, what things interest you about Asheville? I live in WNC. Visit AVL from time to time. Love the trendy restaurants, Biltmore Estate and Village. Shopping is just like any other city.

I live higher up, so I view the winters there as kind of warm. Currently, AVL is a warm 25 and we are sitting pretty at 17.

I would live in one of those small towns 20 minutes from AVL. Looks like plenty of housing stock. Do you want a no maintenance townhouse? A 2 car garage in a development kind of house? A mountain estate with no one around and views?
Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 12:50 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3Dreamer View Post
Medved, what things interest you about Asheville? I live in WNC. Visit AVL from time to time. Love the trendy restaurants, Biltmore Estate and Village. Shopping is just like any other city.

I live higher up, so I view the winters there as kind of warm. Currently, AVL is a warm 25 and we are sitting pretty at 17.

I would live in one of those small towns 20 minutes from AVL. Looks like plenty of housing stock. Do you want a no maintenance townhouse? A 2 car garage in a development kind of house? A mountain estate with no one around and views?
We like (in no particular order) living in a smaller city but still with lots of stuff to do, a walkable downtown, great restaurants, lots of independent (non chain) businesses, excellent beer selection and bars we enjoy hanging out at, beautiful scenery, lots of great hiking opportunities without a long drive, the farmers markets, the slightly "off beat" environment (especially in West AVL but certainly other places too), Southern breakfasts, the coffee shops, hidden terraces to have a meal or a drink, some local educational opportunities, mostly friendly people, lots of people "from away" so we would not be unusual, the River Arts district, a very civilized airport, and a "live and let live" environment, where people tend to respect one another and get along even if they come from very different backgrounds -- or at least more of that than where we come from.

In terms of housing, we would like to be close to commercial activity -- ideally walking distance, but that is not essential if there are compelling trade offs, such as very nice views. A big enough house (at least 2500 square feet) that is relatively quiet and in excellent, renovated, modern-on-the-inside condition. I like Montford. Wife likes East West Asheville. We have looked in some other neighborhoods too and we are flexible.

The small surrounding towns seem very nice. I liked Weaverville, for example, But coming from urban areas I think we might be better off more close in. We will pay more for that, but we are OK with that.

We would likely leave for at least a month every winter, to go someplace warm.
Old 02-02-2021, 01:50 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For anyone interested in the NC mountains but looking for less expensive and less
"hipster"-- look at the Boone, NC area, including Banner Elk and Blowing Rock. Beautiful area with a nice University.
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 06:02 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Have you considered enlisting the help of a local real estate agent?
It might be helpful to have a local person working for you that knows what you have in mind. Then when a property comes available, they could send you the specs on the place.
Yoheadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:22 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I thought a while back that Asheville could be a possible retirement landing spot. Then we visited. A few hours downtown was more than enough to convince me that Asheville wasnít for us. Seems to be more of a big city than what I expected.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:48 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Asheville is nice but as mentioned already I prefer Boone, NC. Itís smaller and home to App St. The surrounding areas such as Blowing Rock are nice as well. My wife and I would move to Boone if we could both gets jobs. Nothing wrong with Asheville but Iíd definitely check out Boone, NC if you are considering the NC mountains.
RxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:54 PM   #15

At one time I thought we'd move south in retirement. Didn't happen, but we did go visit Ashville. Two things struck me as concerning. There did not appear to be a good amount of healthcare. I think there were two major hospitals, but it seemed thin in that area. The more significant issue was found driving around. I had never driven around in a mountainous area. Well, that was interesting. I can't imagine driving there in my later years. Like most things, if you're serious about it, go visit. Rent a place. Overall, it was cool, but I think I like flat land.
Old 02-02-2021, 09:26 PM   #16

Asheville NC

Quote:

Following as I have considered doing the same myself. One thing Iíve heard is that with an influx of Northerners with the same idea, housing prices there have skyrocketed. Affordable living is progressively getting further out from Asheville proper.
Old 02-02-2021, 09:26 PM   #17

When I put my home up for sale last September (resort town) several realtors face timed the walk through & talked with the clients. We had at least 13-14 showings the first day. Realtor was scheduling every half hour. I ended up with 13 offers...all over asking. (that was the plan)

So if you can't make a showing there are options
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 09:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3Dreamer View Post

Where could one find a no maintenance condo,apartment or townhouse with nice mountain views as well in that area?
Old 02-03-2021, 05:17 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
Where could one find a no maintenance condo,apartment or townhouse with nice mountain views as well in that area?
Look at Sugar Mountain ( a ski area) in Banner Elk--it is closer to Boone, NC. Many nice reasonably priced condos, many with mountain views. You could leave for Florida in the winter and rent your condo to skiers.
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:10 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
Following as I have considered doing the same myself. One thing Iíve heard is that with an influx of Northerners with the same idea, housing prices there have skyrocketed. Affordable living is progressively getting further out from Asheville proper.
That is definitely right. AVL has become popular and prices are high. I am just accepting that because I want to live where I want to live... But if cost were the driving consideration, I would certainly pick a different place.