Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: At what age did you or will you retire?
Age 49 or younger 61 13.41%
Age 50-54 109 23.96%
Age 55-59 163 35.82%
Age 60-62 79 17.36%
Age 63-65 28 6.15%
Age 66-69 7 1.54%
Age 70 or older 8 1.76%
Voters: 455. You may not vote on this poll

At what age did you retire or plan to retire?
Old 05-29-2020, 11:56 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

At what age did you retire or plan to retire?

At what age did you fully retire, or at what age do you plan to fully retire? I define "retire" as not working for money, and that includes working even though you don't need the money, or part time work or work that you do just for fun or just because you are bored. If you work for money or to generate income for any reason for any amount of time you are not retired by my definition. And that includes working to maintain rental properties.
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2020, 12:01 PM   #2

See here also, from last year:

At what age did you retire? (retire=NO paycheck)
Old 05-29-2020, 12:18 PM   #3

Yes, but I want a poll that makes it clear that you are not retired if you are working for money in any capacity for any reason for any amount of time. For this poll it does not matter if you do not need the money, or the job is fun, or it does not feel like work, or you only work 2 hours a week, or you only do it because you are bored, or it is a temporary assignment, or any other reason. Working for money equals not being retired, including working to maintain real estate rental property. And you have no plans to return to work.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:41 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Retired at age 57 y.o. after trying to gain employment for 1.5 months, but then realized I could retire.
Not working for any monies now and never will again.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:52 PM   #5

Retired at 45 thanks to 1) being a tightwad, 2) investing in rental real estate in CA, and 3) never being married.
Mr. Tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 01:41 PM   #6

Retired at 60 (+26 days).

I volunteer a lot, but no w*rk for compensation. No plans to ever w*rk again
Old 05-29-2020, 01:47 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Retired at 45, not doing part time work or real estate. The closest thing I do to working for money is managing my mom's portfolio - she doesn't pay me, but it's in my interest since I'll eventually inherit half.
geeky_grrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 02:10 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Planned to retire at 40yo but was able to stop at 34yo. Bought, owned, and sold many rentals while being in the military. Will be 20 years in August. I’ve been fing off now longer than I worked. It’s been the best years of my life.
My goal is to be retired for 50 years.
Arizona1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 02:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
I define "retire" as not working for money, and that includes part time work or work that you do for fun or just because you are bored.

If you work for money or to generate income for any reason for any amount of time you are not retired by my definition. And that includes working to maintain rental properties.
So if someone has a hobby fun thing on the side that is never retired?

Oops then by that definition, I went from 46 to probably-too-old-to-be-early.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 02:42 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I retired at 61.4 years old, on 11/9/2009.

Since that date I have not earned one single cent by working, either for someone else or in self employment. I am DONE, done, done, forever done, and frankly I would rather live under a bridge and starve than go back to work.

But luckily I am doing fine so no danger of that happening. My income sources are:

1) Social Security (32%)
2) mini-pension (13%)
3) investment portfolio dividends (55%).

I usually just re-invest most or all of those dividends because I don't need them, but IMO they are "fair game" if I want to spend more at some point.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 02:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I retired at 61.4 years old, on 11/9/2009.

Since that date I have not earned one single cent by working, either for someone else or in self employment. I am DONE, done, done, forever done, and frankly I would rather live under a bridge and starve than to back to work.

Wow, tell us how you really feel!

Actually, I feel the same way!

Surprised to see a decent contingent of under 49 yo retirees. Maybe should have options for under 39 and under 29, MMM style
Old 05-29-2020, 02:48 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Yes, but I want a poll that makes it clear that you are not retired if you are working for money in any capacity for any reason for any amount of time.
How about owning properties and having it managed by a property management company, BUT I do my own taxes on the portfolio?

I also buy and sell individual stocks and etfs once in awhile. Does that count toward working?
Toocold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 02:51 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I got an envelope with $14 in it today, which represents my earnings from the last 2 weeks of senior group Friday golf..does that count?

I'm still waiting on the envelope to sanitize so I haven't counted it yet.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:57 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBear View Post

It's great to be around people that understand me.

Old 05-29-2020, 03:00 PM   #15

I guess I can't vote... We have a granny flat. I cash a rent check once a month - and by your definition, that makes us not retired. Since we've had the same tenants for almost 6 years, and spend about 15 hours a year on maintenance average - it sure doesn't feel like work. But the income is part of our retirement income stream.

Would it count if I had a management company managing the 1 unit that is on our property? Seems silly to give up a percentage of the rent just to meet your definition of retired.

But... your poll, your rules. A previous poll said if you had kids under roof you weren't retired, you were a stay at home parent. Even though I worked for a paycheck until they were teenagers.

Sure felt like I retired when I quit being an engineer and gave up my paycheck. That was when I was 52, in June 2014.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:06 PM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
Since that date I have not earned one single cent by working, either for someone else or in self employment. I am DONE, done, done, forever done, and frankly I would rather live under a bridge and starve than go back to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBear View Post
Quote:
It's great to be around people that understand me.
Another here, I’ll join that group.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 03:09 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Another here, I’ll join that group.

Old 05-29-2020, 03:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
So if someone has a hobby fun thing on the side that is never retired?
I don't know what you mean by "on the side," the side of what? My answer would depend on whether that person earned money from the hobby. If you work at a hobby and earn money from that hobby then I would not consider you to be retired.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:14 PM   #19

Yes agree on the strictness of the poll is a little artificial. It isn't my fault if people insist on giving me money for things that I would do (and have done in the past) for free. But yes... your poll, your rules!
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 03:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toocold View Post
How about owning properties and having it managed by a property management company, BUT I do my own taxes on the portfolio?
No. Almost everyone has to file taxes, so I don't consider doing your own taxes as working for money, especially if you are not getting paid to do it. And to anticipate your next question... no, saving money by doing something yourself is not the same thing as getting paid.