Automakers (especially GM) may be reporting to your insurance co

... Heck, my nav system knows what the speed limits are by where I'm located and even tells me when I'm speeding. ...

The navigation app in my Hyundai Sante Fe usually tells me what it thinks the current speed limit is. But the speed limit display is blank at times. And there are times where the speed limit posed in the navigation app is not correct. It is correct most of the time, but wrong often enough that I do not trust it.

The way it's going, I may decide to go back to my '55 Chevy or "65 Corvette. No computer stuff and classic car insurance is dirt cheap.

Or maybe pick up a cheap Valiant with the slant 6 and add A/C.

Just don't annoy the tanker truck drivers :cool:

Attachments

• Duel_RR_Crossing.jpeg
    Duel_RR_Crossing.jpeg
    192.1 KB · Views: 7
The navigation app in my Hyundai Sante Fe usually tells me what it thinks the current speed limit is. But the speed limit display is blank at times. And there are times where the speed limit posed in the navigation app is not correct. It is correct most of the time, but wrong often enough that I do not trust it.

Interesting. I’ve never seen my in car (GM truck) nav unit display the wrong speed limit. I’ve seen it be blank, but never noticed it being wrong.

I understand. However, I've "noticed" that my Nav systems are becoming more and more accurate as time (and updates) go by. My latest one is about 90+% accurate most of the time. I've watched it several times as the posted speed limit changes from "let's say" from 75 to 55. It will "often" indicate the change within a hundred feet (or less) of the posted sign and usually within a few hundred feet. Pretty good, IMO.

With all the government mandates for "better mileage", " more safety features", etc, I'm just waiting for some "bureaucrat" to propose legislation that will limit acceleration and top speeds for all cars. Heck, my nav system knows what the speed limits are by where I'm located and even tells me when I'm speeding. So how hard would it be to just not allow you to exceed that limit. Just a ~few more lines of computer code. I'm surprised that has happened already.

They're already on it.

Proposed CA bill would electronically restrict cars from going over speed limit

With all the government mandates for "better mileage", " more safety features", etc, I'm just waiting for some "bureaucrat" to propose legislation that will limit acceleration and top speeds for all cars. Heck, my nav system knows what the speed limits are by where I'm located and even tells me when I'm speeding. So how hard would it be to just not allow you to exceed that limit. Just a ~few more lines of computer code. I'm surprised that has happened already.

Nothing like misleading titles to get outrage clicks. Sad.

Whether 10 miles over is reasonable or not, it might be nice to stop street racers going FAR over the speed limits - the ones going 90+ mph weaving in and out and passing the rest of us. If it begins with new cars in 2027 it would be MANY years before it would have any impact.
It would require any new car or truck made or sold in the state in 2027 or later to have special technology installed in the car called "speed governors." The device would make it physically impossible for vehicles to go 10 miles per hour over the posted speed limits.

Last edited:
Please - how long do you think it would take for someone to program a workaround? I agree that a lot of people drive too fast and need to slow down, but this is like a lot of laws, the only impact will be to law abiding individuals anyway.

I never thought I’d be in favor of this but, what I’ve really come to want is cameras at lights to catch people running red lights (or at least a very bright yellow). It seems to be a major problem now. Anytime I’m making a left turn, I hesitate to see if the person coming from the oncoming lanes is going to stop. Often, they do not.

I never thought I’d be in favor of this but, what I’ve really come to want is cameras at lights to catch people running red lights (or at least a very bright yellow). It seems to be a major problem now. Anytime I’m making a left turn, I hesitate to see if the person coming from the oncoming lanes is going to stop. Often, they do not.
They had them at quite a few intersections around Chicago when I lived there over 5 years ago. I saw one that ticketed a driver missing the light by 0.4 seconds, in a suburb (Deer Park) that shortened their yellow lights noticeably from anywhere else. Don't ask me how I know...

Last edited:
This is interesting. Awhile back there was a thread in this forum where the overwhelming majority of the people that posted, voluntarily shared their driving information with their insurance company lured by a small premium reduction. Now the overwhelming majority of the posters on this thread are opting out of a service that reports their driving information to their insurance company.

I suspect you are simply seeing responses from different people.
There is also a big difference between voluntarily sharing personal info and having it shared without your knowledge.

Please - how long do you think it would take for someone to program a workaround?
Not long. Realistically, a few months before a fix is developed and marketable.

I agree that a lot of people drive too fast and need to slow down, but this is like a lot of laws, the only impact will be to law abiding individuals anyway.
How often have you exceeded the "speed limit" even by just 5mph? How-a-bout 10mph or more?

I never thought I’d be in favor of this but, what I’ve really come to want is cameras at lights to catch people running red lights (or at least a very bright yellow). It seems to be a major problem now.

They had them at quite a few intersections around Chicago when I lived there over 5 years ago. I saw one that ticketed a driver missing the light by 0.4 seconds, in a suburb (Deer Park) that shortened their yellow lights noticeably from anywhere else. Don't ask me how I know...
They had them in some of the big cities here in Texas a few years back but have since been outlawed.

https://guides.sll.texas.gov/recording-laws/red-light-cameras

Last edited:
I understand. However, I've "noticed" that my Nav systems are becoming more and more accurate as time (and updates) go by. My latest one is about 90+% accurate most of the time. I've watched it several times as the posted speed limit changes from "let's say" from 75 to 55. It will "often" indicate the change within a hundred feet (or less) of the posted sign and usually within a few hundred feet. Pretty good, IMO.

If the speed limit changes, and the navigation app updates the displayed speed limit within a few hundred feet, I agree that is pretty good. And I would be satisfied with that.

On our Sante Fe the navigation app is not always that good. Even after a recently installed map update. It is good most of the time, but not always.

How often have you exceeded the "speed limit" even by just 5mph? How-a-bout 10mph or more?

Generally, I drive the speed limit +5. On the highway I never drive 10 over. I set my cruise control at 9 over under the possibly incorrect assumption that the police will not likely stop anyone going less than ten over.

The cost to people like me is the cost added to the new vehicle for the equipment. Generally, a governor at 10 over wouldn’t impact my driving at all.

Hopefully some day they’ll figure out how to handle the speeder that’s weaving in and out of traffic that is clearly a danger to everyone on the road, as opposed to the people just driving fast but using their lanes and signal’s properly.

Personally, if our roads were maintained and people respected lane usage, I wouldn’t care if there were no speed limits on a highway. When I think of the speed limit being 75 back in the 60’s and 70’s when the cars were built at that days standards, that was crazy. Comparatively, today’s vehicles should be allowed to go much faster just based on the improvement to the overall design. Heck, we should be at 80mph just based on having radial tires.

Generally, I drive the speed limit +5. On the highway I never drive 10 over. I set my cruise control at 9 over under the possibly incorrect assumption that the police will not likely stop anyone going less than ten over.

Ah, I see... It's okay to speed as long as the cops won't bother you.:rolleyes:

Hopefully some day they’ll figure out how to handle the speeder that’s weaving in and out of traffic that is clearly a danger to everyone on the road, as opposed to the people just driving fast but using their lanes and signal’s properly.
I can agree with that totally. I'll admit, I have been known to drive way to fast on the open road with few (or no) other vehicles around me but I'll slow down and just go with the flow when in traffic.

Personally, if our roads were maintained and people respected lane usage, I wouldn’t care if there were no speed limits on a highway. When I think of the speed limit being 75 back in the 60’s and 70’s when the cars were built at that days standards, that was crazy. Comparatively, today’s vehicles should be allowed to go much faster just based on the improvement to the overall design. Heck, we should be at 80mph just based on having radial tires.
Agree with that too... Heck most highway speed limits around here are 70 and 75mph. So many drive 80+. And there is a stretch of highway (about 40 miles long I think) near Austin that's 85 mph. So that means 90+ is common.

Now for the stupid transportation award of the decade: Next year Texas will stop requiring annual passenger car vehicle inspections. So we now have the fastest speed limits in the country and soon no required annual vehicle inspections. What could possibly go wrong that!

Last edited:
Ah, I see... It's okay to speed as long as the cops won't bother you.:rolleyes:

I would characterize it a little different. I'll go with the flow of traffic, which does involve speeding, but my limit is 9 over. After that, I'm happy to just move over and let faster traffic go by (rather than speed up any further).

^^^^^
Just messing with you. :) Slow day around here.

Actually "in traffic", I'll usually just go with the flow too, but in my case, it's regardless of the speeds. It's not uncommon to get with a caravan (pack of cars) going pretty dang fast on the open highways around here.

Last edited:
^^^^^
Just messing with you. :) Slow day around here.

Actually "in traffic", I'll usually just go with the flow too, but in my case, it's regardless of the speeds. It's not uncommon to get with a caravan (pack of cars) going pretty dang fast on the open highways around here.

One of my best friends is a retired Houston PD Sargent. His favorite saying to speeders used to be "Five you are fine, Ten you are mine!"

I once got busted for doing 78 in a 65. I was going the flow of traffic. However, I was an out-of-state driver, on I-95 south, near Emporia VA. I think they live off of out-of-state drivers.

If I had been going the speed limit, I would have been a safety hazard!

I once got busted for doing 78 in a 65. I was going the flow of traffic. However, I was an out-of-state driver, on I-95 south, near Emporia VA. I think they live off of out-of-state drivers.

If I had been going the speed limit, I would have been a safety hazard!
Yes on both counts. They love out of state drivers and even if you drove the speed limit, you would have actually been impeding the flow of traffic in that case. Oh, and those drivers passing you for doing the speed limit wouldn't be signaling that they think you are #1.

Cops are people too and "I've" found most to be reasonable in most cases. True Story (that I may have posted here in the past): I was stopped one time in one of my Vettes for (let's just say, for going well over the limit). But since I was the only car on the road in the area and not endangering anyone but myself, he gave me a written warning. The warning didn't say how far over the speed limit I was going, only that I was exceeding the posted limit. :) Then we stood on the side of the road for the next 5+ minutes just talking about sports cars. More to the story but any cop that likes sports cars that much is A-okay in my book.

Last edited:
Looks like Suburu does this also.

It would suck if you have to give up features like smartphone controlled remote start to disable the data sharing.

I ran a small fleet of 6 identical trucks, Ford E350's, and had a 3rd party company track each driver's movement. Lots of hard starts, hard braking, etc. and conversations with staff about their driving habits. Finally, I took one truck for a ride and manually logged my hard starts, hard braking, etc. Unfortunately, the reports were very questionable. E.g., report would show hard braking or fast starts when I know I was driving safely. When I purposely would do things to activate the "flags" for unsafe driving, it didn't always show in the report. Bottom line... I stopped fighting and reprimanding the guys as it wasn't 100% accurate.

Looks like Suburu does this also.

The NYT article says that they share only odometer data.

Ford seems to have a strong policy in place

Ford “does not transmit any connected vehicle data to either partner,” said a spokesman, Alan Hall, but partnered with them “to explore ways to support customers” who want to take part in usage-based insurance programs.

One of my best friends is a retired Houston PD Sargent. His favorite saying to speeders used to be "Five you are fine, Ten you are mine!"

My BIL was a county LEO before he retired. His phrase was "At eight, you're great. At nine, your mine!

Back
Top Bottom