Automakers (especially GM) may be reporting to your insurance co

RetMD21

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The NYT had an article this morning about a Chevy owner who found out that his insurance cost went up 21% because of fast acceleration and hard braking. He didn't know that GM was reporting his data. Although a some other automakers do this GM is apparently the main focus or the NYT article.

Here is a link to a free Business Insider summary: https://www.businessinsider.com/car...snexis-insurance-rates-increase-report-2024-3

and the original (not free) https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/11/technology/carmakers-driver-tracking-insurance.html

GM says owners have to opt in. Some owners say they didn't. Salespeople apparently may get a bonus for enrolling customers according to NYT.

The NYT had an article this morning about a Chevy owner who found out that his insurance cost went up 21% because of fast acceleration and hard braking. He didn't know that GM was reporting his data. Although a some other automakers do this GM is apparently the main focus or the NYT article.

Here is a link to a free Business Insider summary: https://www.businessinsider.com/car...snexis-insurance-rates-increase-report-2024-3

and the original (not free) https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/11/technology/carmakers-driver-tracking-insurance.html

GM says owners have to opt in. Some owners say they didn't. Salespeople apparently may get a bonus for enrolling customers according to NYT.
21% sounds about what the average car insurance went up. I'm driving an older car that doesn't do that, no changes in my coverage, no tickets or accidents, and mine went up about the same amount in the last year.

I expect they have already assumed I'll be making many WOT (Wide Open Throttle) runs in the type of vehicles I buy and have priced my insurance accordingly. :)

Last edited:
The Dogs at GM enrolled me when I bought my Bolt. Never told me. So I just figured out how to dis-enroll and did it. I really don't want third parties tracking me. :mad:

Thanks RetMD21 for bringing this to light!

The Dogs at GM enrolled me when I bought my Bolt. Never told me. So I just figured out how to dis-enroll and did it. I really don't want third parties tracking me. :mad:

How were you able to know that you were enrolled and how did you dis-enroll?

How were you able to know that you were enrolled and how did you dis-enroll?

I just (30 minutes ago) opened the Chev app on my phone and went to "more" and saw the Smart Diver button. Once I opened it, I saw the data they had been collecting. So I opted out.

I just (30 minutes ago) opened the Chev app on my phone and went to "more" and saw the Smart Diver button. Once I opened it, I saw the data they had been collecting. So I opted out.

Thanks. I stopped using the apps when I stopped all the connected services - like OnStar. I’ll have to log back in and check.

ETA: I checked my apps for the cars I have and there was nothing like "Smart Driver". Maybe you have to have OnStar active for that to be available. Anyway, I couldn't find anything to turn off. Worth checking though.

Last edited:
They use LexusNexus and you can order a report for the data they have on you. Search “lexusnexus privacy report”

I just turned mine off. Interesting looking at it and I dissagree. Said driver seatbelt use was 99.5%... I NEVER move my car without the seatbelt....maybe the dealer when I had it serviced. Also had 5 'hard accel" which I don't know. I drive boringly so must be normal acceleration to merge safely on the highway. Apparently need to take 20+ seconds to get to 60mph to not trigger it. Had 3 hard breaking where my USAA app had none during the period. I tried to read the privacy/shared policy but there are so many references to other docs it is impossible to find a clear answer. I've never subscribed to Onstar but am using a free trial for vehicle access since I'll be on a road trip and using the app would be nice if I accidentally lock my keys out when 1000 miles from home.

Interestingly, my 2023 Charger's touch screen has a menu to track performance, like 0-60, quarter-mile times, etc. It's almost like it's daring me to do something bad, to report to the insurance company!

I have an app on the phone, but I don't know how much info it really tracks. It tells me how many miles are on it, tire pressure, how much oil life it thinks is remaining, and what percentage (but not actual gallons) of fuel it thinks are left. I can start it and unlock it with the phone, but considering it has a fob, I don't think there's much chance of me locking the keys in the car.

I don't know if it's capable of reporting to the insurance company if I do something naughty, or not.

I expect they have already assumed I'll be making many WOT (Wide Open Throttle) runs in the type of vehicles I buy and have priced my insurance accordingly. :)

ROTF-LMAO..... Thanks for the laff this morning....
We just got our bill... 10% increase...
But for the Story... Several years back, a fellow Medic bought a new Camaro and complained about the insurance cost.... then at the renewal, the bill was ASTRONOMICAL..... After several phone calls, discovered that the APP on the phone was also picking up travel habits.... While driving the AMBULACE...

I feel sorry for the folks with Corvettes who find out about this after a "track day." The article mentions a Cadillac driver in Florida who was rejected by 7 insurance companies. One agent tipped him off to checking his LexisNexis report. To be complete you would need your Verisk report as well. Apparently Hyundai/Kia and Honda/Acura and others report data to the information brokers if you turn on the driver coaching features in the apps but not otherwise.

Interestingly, my 2023 Charger's touch screen has a menu to track performance, like 0-60, quarter-mile times, etc. It's almost like it's daring me to do something [-]bad[/-] (fun), to report to the insurance company!
Fixed it for you. :)

Yep, 5 of the last 6 vehicles I've bought all had that plus a "launch control button". Basically "the factory specifications/books", tells you to use launch control (1) stop the vehicle, then (2) press the launch control button, (3) hold the wheel straight, (4) press and hold the brake (hard) then (5) push the accelerator to the floor and "hold it there". When you are ready to "launch" just take your foot off the brake. Then blast off. (or maybe wheee for this forum)... The computers are then suppose to control the acceleration for optimal performance. IMO, it's just gimmick. I can do better turning off the nannys and using good old fashion "seat of the pants" techniques. (More fun too)

My insurance agent loves my vehicles. :)

Last edited:
Apparently Hyundai/Kia and Honda/Acura and others report data to the information brokers if you turn on the driver coaching features in the apps but not otherwise.
I noticed Hyundai was giving me a detailed driving report monthly, never thought about who else they were sending the info too. Fortunately, I don't own a Hyundai any more.

It's really annoying how many entities are out there collecting our personal data, by default in many cases (you have to opt out, then I'm not convinced they don't use/sell data anyway). I avoid uploading any apps I don't absolutely need, but I have noticed some companies make their app a condition of service. Just had this situation with a doctor. :mad:

And it seems you almost can't click on any website these days where they don't ask for location, or more, before the site even comes up... :mad:

Tesla uses driver information if you have Tesla insurance only?
Many providers base your premium on information that has little to do with your driving. We base your premium on how you drive.* We use existing technology in our vehicles to track your real-time driving behavior, no additional hardware required. Tesla does not share your data or monitor your location—your data stays with you.

Last edited:

Just so blame is placed in the right place…
The dogs at GM didn’t do that to you.
The dogs at your car dealer did.

Glad to hear it was easy to correct :)

This is interesting. Awhile back there was a thread in this forum where the overwhelming majority of the people that posted, voluntarily shared their driving information with their insurance company lured by a small premium reduction. Now the overwhelming majority of the posters on this thread are opting out of a service that reports their driving information to their insurance company.

Just so blame is placed in the right place…
The dogs at GM didn’t do that to you.
The dogs at your car dealer did.

Glad to hear it was easy to correct :)

My car dealer sells GM exclusively and I think his salespeople get a bonus for signing you up for Onstar by downloading the Chev app. They are part of the process (the dealer and GM). They push hard to get you to try Onstar for the free trial and it's on when you get the car even if you decline. I had to call Onstar to get off the free trial.

This Smart Driver stuff is built in and I believe the app defaults you on.

With all the government mandates for "better mileage", " more safety features", etc, I'm just waiting for some "bureaucrat" to propose legislation that will limit acceleration and top speeds for all cars. Heck, my nav system knows what the speed limits are by where I'm located and even tells me when I'm speeding. So how hard would it be to just not allow you to exceed that limit. Just a ~few more lines of computer code. I'm surprised that has happened already.

With all the government mandates for "better mileage", " more safety features", etc, I'm just waiting for some "bureaucrat" to propose legislation that will limit acceleration and top speeds for all cars. Heck, my nav system knows what the speed limits are by where I'm located and even tells me when I'm speeding. So how hard would it be to just not allow you to exceed that limit. Just a ~few more lines of computer code. I'm surprised that has happened already.

The way it's going, I may decide to go back to my '55 Chevy or "65 Corvette. No computer stuff and classic car insurance is dirt cheap.

Or maybe pick up a cheap Valiant with the slant 6 and add A/C.

The way it's going, I may decide to go back to my '55 Chevy or "65 Corvette. No computer stuff and classic car insurance is dirt cheap.

Or maybe pick up a cheap Valiant with the slant 6 and add A/C.
There's a lot to be said for that. The only computer control on those cars is the "nut" behind the wheel. :)

However, I will say, many of the computer controlled safety features that have been added over the years have be true lifesavers, particularly ABS.

Last edited:
There's a lot to be said for that. The only computer control on those cars is the "nut" behind the wheel. :)

However, I will say, many of the computer controlled safety features that have been added over the years have be true lifesavers, particularly ABS.

Yes, as an example of a really nice car with ABS, air bags, performance and NO COMPUTER MONITORING is my daughter's 2014 Mustang Premium Edition, which she absolutely loves.

Back
Top Bottom