Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Baby Boomers
Old 02-02-2006, 02:35 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
Dave, I was feeling annoyed with your politics and anti-boomer attitude--and was about to ask you which of the gay cowboys serves as your avatar--but then you quoted "Africa."
I luv ya, man

=astroboomer
Howling on the Floor and LOL!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2006, 02:56 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oh man...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 02:59 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Thilly boyth... *:P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 03:09 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Thavages!

Come on folks, Dave is a CPA. As we recently learned, if you're a CPA *and* a marketing exec, you can write a book on a topic you have no personal experience with and the info in it is not only unquestionably valid, nobody should talk about it.

I'm still unclear on whether its just the CPA thing, the marketing exec thing, or the combination that creates the indomitable expertise, however.

So in the plausible case that Dave is also a marketing executive, I think we should accept his thesis, if not the gayness as well.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:19 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew894
To quote the Men at Work song 'Africa': "There's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do."

Uhmm, that would be "Toto" not "Men at Work". You're definitely not a boomer.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:22 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Shhh...the 'men at work' thing is rather pivotal here...
Old 02-02-2006, 03:25 PM   #47

Oh yeah, "Africa" by Toto. I know that song from "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City"
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 06:47 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Again, I take personal shots at me as a compliment, as I wouldn't want to argue the other side of some of my messages either.
Wait a minute.....a cowboy avatar and an attitude of "I'm under attack because I'm telling you the unpleasant truth".

Dave, you aren't really GWB are you? ...

Old 02-02-2006, 07:35 PM   #49

Quote:
Again, I take personal shots at me as a compliment, as I wouldn't want to argue the other side of some of my messages either. There seem to be an awful lot of 'retired early' 50+ old pharts (pardon the expression) around here, with some level of latent anger about having worked so long or some other troublesome issue. I won't make the same mistakes. Keep your eyes closed and the personal attacks coming. They're funny.

Good! - I'm glad we struck a nerve!
Old 02-02-2006, 08:12 PM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

Dave, I'll have to take back my earlier comment,

Quote:
This is what I got from your response "The world s_ _ _ _. It's not my fault and I don't give a s _ _ _ about doing anything about it and that's why I want to ER." Correct me if this is wrong.
This is better,

Quote:
I have suggested solutions. I have paid money to support policital parties whose voices have been purposely silenced by the two political parties. I have done what is asked of all of us in terms of obtaining an education and being a productive member of society. I have dedicated and continue to dedicate a signficant portion of my time toward these efforts.
At lot of disillusionment but still much better,

MB

mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 08:15 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

50+ old phart... got a nice ring to it!

Painting as large a group as the Boomers with too broad a brush is illogical, as Spock would say.

Old 02-03-2006, 07:23 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Funds, Will Retire
50+ old phart... got a nice ring to it!*

Painting as large a group as the Boomers with too broad a brush is illogical, as Spock would say.
I prefer "Groovy Spock"

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/S...1/2-sides.html

Trust me, you have to watch the video.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 09:25 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby
I prefer "Groovy Spock"

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/S...1/2-sides.html

Trust me, you have to watch the video.
I'm sure Leonard was following in his buddy William Shatner's footsteps. This is truly the worst song on the planet, with "the legend of dildo bildo baggins" a close second. :P

http://www.pathcom.com/~boby/lsd.htm
Old 02-03-2006, 10:40 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
I'm sure Leonard was following in his buddy William Shatner's footsteps.* This is truly the worst song on the planet, with "the legend of dildo bildo baggins" a close second.* :P

http://www.pathcom.com/~boby/lsd.htm
I don't know about that. They're tied in my mind.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 02:47 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

There seem to be an awful lot of 'retired early' 50+ old pharts (pardon the expression) around here, with some level of latent anger about having worked so long or some other troublesome issue.

As a 50+ old phart (actually 60- would be more accurate) I can say that the anger seems a lot more patent than latent to me, but maybe that's because my mind has turned to mush from all my acquisitions. And,yes, I am mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore. What were we talking about again? I forget.

setab
Old 02-03-2006, 02:49 PM   #56
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by setab
And,yes, I am mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore. What were we talking about again? I forget.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:55 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Hush my mouth, slap your Grandma, Dave...

Don't care how she got them britches on... how does one get them off??

Old 02-08-2006, 05:15 AM   #58
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
I have been bothered by the condition the boomers have left this country in for as long as I've known what a 'boomer' is.
Dave,

As a boomer who has always admired dissent, I appreciate hearing your viewpoint . While the resentment against my generation surprises me, it doesn't offend me. I had at least noticed how much harder it is for your generation to get started in life compared to us. I was aware of all the breaks I had growing up, getting scholarships, gettting into IT when it was all shortage, making money in the 90's bull market, and selling my home in the current bubble. Although I worked pretty hard at times, always lived below my means, and abhorred debt, I never felt entitled to any of it and still don't. I always knew that the American middle-class stood at the top of the consumption heap of history despite their persistent feelings of victimhood.

I gather that to your generation the boomers collectively seem like an army that has descended upon the land and is despoiling it. Point of view is everything here. While armies are powerful, a soldier is not. I suppose that can't excuse us any more than the Grande Armee.

Anyway, good luck to you. Staying out of debt is still a good strategy. Opportunities may yet surprise on the upside.

NYCGuy
NYCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 07:04 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Being preoccupied with either over consumption or under consumption is still being preoccupied with consumption. I find both extremes offensive and borderline doctinaire. Blaming Boomers, or any other single group, for the "current state of things" is just plain silly and Wag the Dog, at best.

setab
Old 02-08-2006, 08:12 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Dave,

You need help. How you jump to to Arabs from my meager post is a little scary.

setab