Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Bats in the Belfry - Cats in the Car!
Old 12-30-2005, 03:14 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
Hey, you do other things than just golf!*
Eagle 43: Cut me some slack, we're working on our 9th. day of rain!

Checking out conditions of the course today, an optomistic outlook would be 2 weeks at least before it's playable. Stand by for some wierd posts.
Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2005, 05:24 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Girl
Gee, all these great stories makes me glad that I'm a DOG person
DanTien,

How about a poll of forum participants - dogs, cats, both or no pets?

Grumpy
Old 12-30-2005, 10:14 PM   #23

We moved from Iowa to Arizona with two cats and a dog about 4 years ago. We were driving two vehicles, so we brought the dog in one truck and the cats in the SUV. Both the vehicles were loaded with all the junk that we didn't put on the moving van. Our cats had been barn cats in Iowa. We moved the cats into the car in cat carriers, but then left the carrier door open and gave them the option to do whatever they wanted. One of them came up to the passenger seat and sat next to my wife (she was driving the cats). The other one tunneled down into the stacks of junk and hid. The drive took us two and a half days, so during the evenings we moved the two of us, one dog and two cats into a hotel room -- then back into the vehicles for the drive the next morning. The logistics of loading and unloading our stuff and the pets each day was tedious, but we really didn't have any problems. All three pets are still doing fine.

sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 04:44 AM   #24

From the collective wisdom here I can see this trip will be a crapshoot. Some cats do well it seems others don't. I know it will all be ok. DW is the scardy cat.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:45 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

By the way, Motel 6 has a "pets ok" policy at almost all of their locations. So do some others, but my dad was able to just stop at any motel 6 he came to, "declare" the pet, and never had a problem.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 11:19 AM   #26

If we need a hotel then you'll know the cat barfed...and/or whatever. The trip is (only) 11 hours and we usually go straight through. Blastoff is scheduled at 4am on the 15th.

Old 12-31-2005, 12:01 PM   #27

La Quinta is "pet-friendly."

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 01:21 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM
OK so I spend an hour in Barnes and Noble looking through "All About Cats" books. DW has a PIA cat DW has a lovely tabby that just misses her terribly when we hit the road for a month or so.

Usually we have someone come in once a week to tend the kitty. However this time we'll be gone during the winter and I want to save on the already too high energy bill. Hell, with a little twist of logic - thats why we are leaving in the first place...too damn cold.

Anyway the books say forget it. Not worth it. Cats hate the car...messes with their equilibrim the vet says. Drugs probably won't work the vet says. The trip is 11 hours with 2 stops for gas and leg stretching.

Heating the house for the cat is not gonna happen. I plan to turn the 'stat down to 40something. The cat could probably hack it since the sun warms the living room to 60-70. DW thinks thats a* barbaric idea. So we are bringing the cat.

I've built a darling travel carrier complete with comfy bedding and her favorite toys. I keep it near us in the den and she is now napping in it and otherwise getting used to it. Next step is to latch her in for a few minutes at a time. Later we'll take her on a short ride I guess to see what might happen*

So if you see me chasing a cat down the interstate...best not to get involved.

Anybody ever done this?

I have taken cats all over the counrty by car, they loved it. One liked to lay in the back window with his head on a little dog with the head bobbing. He liked to try to catch the window washing thing at gas stations. We took another to Alaska and back in the winter. She didn't like being in a sleeping bag and we slept in the car. She would get out and lay on top and shiver. After a few days she learned to like it in a sleeping bag.
The trick to travel with cats is to start with kittens and take them everywhere. I had to cats once that didn't travel but after one died we decided to take the other camping. Everytime we let her out she headed for home through the woods, she seemed to know which way home was but it was too far and too much wildlife to let him try. He spent most of the weekend in the car unless we were holding him.
old woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 02:36 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Here I was,--- all excited to hear a story about travelling with Bats!

JD
Sundance Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 07:01 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I used to have a cat that loved riding in the car. Just like a dog...whenever I went out to the driveway, she'd follow me, hop in and sit up in the shelf under the back window and just have a great time. One day I went to put up the rear power windows without realizing she had her head stuck out the opening and caught her head. No damage, I saw it and stopped and put it down before it did much more than startle her.

Never got in the car after that though.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:58 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM

I've built a darling travel carrier complete with comfy bedding and her favorite toys. I keep it near us in the den and she is now napping in it and otherwise getting used to it. Next step is to latch her in for a few minutes at a time. Later we'll take her on a short ride I guess to see what might happen

Chapter 2

We've gotten kitty used to the aforementioned homebrew car carrier. Left treats inside... even manage to lock her in for a few minutes at a time. Last week we prepared for the the first trip in the suv, put down plastic, blah, blah, blah.

Bottom line, after a little whining...not a peep! Now we take her with us someplace everyday just to keep things going before the "big trip".

So far so good.

Old 03-17-2006, 04:19 AM   #32

Epilog

Trip to NC with the cat went just fine. Eleven hours and hardly a peep. However she didn't seem to like New Jersey...there was alot of meowing through there. Otherwise all was rather quiet, thankfully.* The home brew cat carrier with a blanket cover worked well. Once we arrived at the beach little missy got very shy and buried herself between the sofa cushions for the day. Now she's a big shot and thinks she can pick fights with the seagulls, while hiding safely behind the sliding glass doors.

Bottom line pets and travelling ERees are a problem. For this trip at least, so far things are turning out just purrrrrfect.

Old 03-17-2006, 11:29 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM
. . .However she didn't seem to like New Jersey...
New Jersey affects a lot of people that way too.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 05:54 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Bum,
Glad to see you had success with you're cat. The way you acclimated her to the car was the right way to go. I did the same thing with our cat when she was young.
We take our cat and dog with us when we go down to the* island. Now it's every other weekend, off season.
3 years, 10 months, 1 week, 3 days, 9 hours and 13 minutes from now maybe we'll be going down for 3 months or so.
kbst
kbst is offline   Reply With Quote