Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-03-2021, 03:43 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

My number one goal was learning guitar and vocals, and six months into FIRE I am sticking to that plan 100%. It's basically taken over all the time I used to spend at work. And although I'm not quite as productive with that time as I was at work with the boss breathing down my neck, I'm enjoying every second of it as opposed to loathing every second.

The other big goal was to buy a vacation home, probably in the smokies, which I'm still working, but do seem to get cold feet whenever I get close to actually pulling the trigger. The crazy real estate market hasn't helped. One other thing hindering the hunt is that I coach 18U baseball so can't get away during the summer to check anything out. That commitment ends in 3 weeks at which point I'll be truly FIREd!!
cat4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2021, 04:06 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

This is such an interesting thread for me.

RE is in the headlights. Hard to know if its 18 mos or 48 mos away, but its not 10 years.

The "when I retire list" isn't super long...but it is quite specific.

I always said that I wouldn't have OMY syndrome. Nope, not me. I'm hanging the cleats up right on the schedule I said I would.

And yet, here I'm sailing headlong into OMY syndrome driven by the usual impulses...

... I can put more money in the bank in 12 months than I did in my 30s.
... I worked so hard to get here, do I really want to pull the plug?
... Great people invested a lot in me to get me here...shouldn't I stay and do the same?
... Don't I owe it to society to be productive in some way?

Now you have me wrestling with whether my after retirement list is nonsense!
Old 07-03-2021, 09:36 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

^^^^^^^ Regarding the last three of your four points above, it does take a bit of retooling and intentionality for people who got good at succeeding in organizations, like us both, apparently, i.e. we became very good at delivering on othersí expectations. Iím FIREd for one year and have become aggressive about focusing any accountability on only those people I WANT TO, meaning DW, my elderly parents, my very closest friends, and the appointments I generate myself or that I canít avoid. Itís really a different outlook and I relish it. I also notice that the rest of the world keeps on turning and stumbling along about the same.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 09:51 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat4ever View Post
The other big goal was to buy a vacation home, probably in the smokies, which I'm still working, but do seem to get cold feet whenever I get close to actually pulling the trigger. The crazy real estate market hasn't helped.

I certainly understand the draw. My .02 is that you were smart to wait on such a big purchase and give yourself a breather to sort out which of your pre-FIRE plans were sticky and which turned out to be fantasy coping crutches.
Old 07-03-2021, 11:24 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet_Gamer View Post

RE is in the headlights. Hard to know if its 18 mos or 48 mos away, but its not 10 years.

I always said that I wouldn't have OMY syndrome. Nope, not me. I'm hanging the cleats up right on the schedule I said I would.

And yet, here I'm sailing headlong into OMY syndrome driven by the usual impulses...

... Great people invested a lot in me to get me here...shouldn't I stay and do the same?

You will always be able to create more wealth by continuing to work. Is that, and the other items on your list, more important to you than spending quality years with your spouse/partner and/or family? That question made it very easy for me to decide to pull the plug on w*rk exactly when I planned, and not a moment later.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 03:57 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm a few months from 65, but I've actually been semi-retired for decades. Ex-DW and I left the megacorp back in '91 and I haven't worked full-time since. I've done contract / consulting work for most of my career. So I haven't really had a "job" to look forward to retiring FROM. I've had retiree-like freedom all along.

I'm at a traditional retirement age now, but life hasn't cooperated very well with big retirement plans. DW took a hike 10+ yrs ago. We loved to travel, and I had always imagined lots of travel in retirement, but it's not much fun by myself. Then in 2019 I got diagnosed with 2 cancers, and in 2020 this little pandemic thing hit. Due to my suppressed immune system, and 50-50 survival chances if I catch the stuff, I've barely left the house in 18 months.

5 yrs ago my brother (who retired from teaching at 60) asked me "When the heck are you going to retire?" At the time I said "Why would I? I don't hate my job like most people do. I don't have a partner to play with, and I'm not eager to get out and travel all alone. If I didn't have any work, I'm not sure what I'd do with myself." And that's true in spades now with COVID. Plus it's been nice having an income all along.

I'm hoping by next summer COVID will be under control. I probably still won't want to get into a plane, but I'm planning to get a new Tesla and do a lot of road trips.
GaryInCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 04:17 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet_Gamer View Post

You are asking important questions. I know of a few people who retired from lofty positions just to find they didnít like being treated like a normal person afterwards. When I retired, I found many things on my list were things I should have done 10 years before, but werenít feasible anymore. The question of what I owed to society is one I struggled with the most. It took a couple of years to figure out ways I could continue to contribute to society and feel satisfied with what I was doing. For me, that was writing about emerging topics in the sciences, but for everyone that will be different.

One thing I wished I had done was retire a few years earlier, so I could have done more things on my list. I find that money is not nearly as big an issue as I thought it would be. I also found out that nobody missed me at work - I was completely replaceable, much to my dismay.
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 04:23 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Wanted to travel a lot. Did for the first 5 years, but travel has been slim the past 2 years due to COVID and elder care.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 04:25 PM   #49
Dryer sheet aficionado

[QUOTE=pacergal;2625670]So far, retirement plans are nothing what I envisioned--they are turning out better!
Grandbabies arrived

Same here - we have three grandbabies with a fourth soon to arrive. Who know entertaining 2 years olds was so much fun!
kflesko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 04:30 PM   #50

I had this idea that I was going to crave structured time in retirement after decades of work. So I signed up for an Italian class at the local community college. Loved the class and it worked well to have class 3 days a week at 8am. Since I had kids under roof (still do) it worked with getting them to school (which was next door to the community college).

3 semesters later I'd maxed the Italian options and took a random class (accounting) just to learn something new. Fortunately it was online. Decided I really didn't need structure or more stuff to do.

I thought I'd volunteer a lot. And I have - but not at the activities I thought... I thought I'd volunteer at school, food bank, etc... Ended up involved in local planning issues and city chartered planning groups. It's hyper political (which I don't like) and many of my neighbors are not at all who I thought they were.

So my vision of retirement wasn't what I thought it would be. But it's a lot better than working. Turns out I don't need structure. Turns out I can do duolingo, or facebook messenger with my husband's Italian cugini to work on my Italian at my own pace.

Real retirement *might* be starting this fall. Youngest graduated last month and is going to college. Oldest, after a false start/rebound home, is moving out around the same time. Empty nest!!! I am really looking forward to just having the hubster and I to consider when making plans.
Followed the plan
Old 07-06-2021, 04:40 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Followed the plan

I started consulting a day a week the week after I retired. Kept that up for 5 years. Run in the mornings, tennis in the afternoons, pickleball in the evenings. Fish, hike and take road trips all over the country. Travel overseas. A couple of fairly intense volunteer roles chairing a college board and a large nonprofit foundation board. Everything exactly as I planned. It's a good life. Maybe because I'm an engineer my plan was just that, a well thought out plan that met our needs instead of some strange coping mechanism? But then I liked my job, I had nothing to cope with.
steveark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:26 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

It was very important to retire TO SOMETHING rather than just FROM SOMETIHNG. We did not spend much time at home in Cincinnati, and took time to travel...a lot:

1. We spent 1 week on a cruise to Alaska, then 4 weeks in an RV up there.
2. We took a Round the World Cruise (137 days) and just loved it.
3. We went on a 7 week safari in 5 countries in Africa...and would like to do more of that.
4. We spend 3 months each year in the Dominican Republic
5. We volunteered at the local theater for many years until everything shut down.
6. We purchased our Forever Home in Hilton Head last year, and make quarterly visits back up to Cincinnati.

Not the specifics that we had envisioned 10 years ago, but definitely the general direction we were leaning towards. It is important to have a plan, and to seize those opportunities when they pop up.
levindb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:36 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

This is an interesting thread. We also plan to travel and last year some of those plans were interrupted by Covid, but we have taken a couple trips so far this year and have a couple more planned.

We enjoy being at home so last year wasn’t really that big of a change except for not going out to eat. We’re back to normal on that.
JRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:48 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

A few years before retiring, I made a list of areas of life such as creating, providing, volunteering, exercising, socializing, etc., and then listed activities in each area I might like to do in retirement. I forgot about it and found it recently, 6 years later. To my surprise, I am engaging in the vast majority of those activities. The only area I didnít correctly predict is volunteering. I still canít stand the idea of having to be some place at a certain time - it feels too much like w*rk to me. So Iím doing different volunteer activities than I thought I would - more episodic things.
Into spreadsheets, making art, walking in nature, gardening, fitness training, beer, pickleball, reading
Mantras: Carpe diem & Gratitude
PointBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Be honest: Which of your pre-FIRE plans turned out to be coping fantasies?
Old 07-06-2021, 09:50 PM   #55

Be honest: Which of your pre-FIRE plans turned out to be coping fantasies?

^^^^^ Nice. Your comment raises questions for me about books like Ernie Zelinkiís ďHow to Retire Happy, Wild and Free.Ē

A lot of people have read that book, including me, but I wonder how many of the readers actually do the workbook exercises to design their retirement?
Old 07-06-2021, 10:07 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Many of the things I did for relaxation I still do. I added a sailing yacht which takes up a lot of time and I enjoy it a lot. We have done a lot of traveling but COVID put a damper on that. We both learned new skills and I have become adept at CAD design with 3D printing plus designing and building IoT devices. My wife became a famous award-winning photographer and expanded her Day Trading skills (although ironically we haven't touched any of that and probably never will need to in our lifetimes). We over-planned financially and are always gaining rather than spending as we are spending a lot less than our incomes.
Old Microbiologist is offline   Reply With Quote