Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-10-2017, 12:36 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The nicest sheets I've experienced are Pure Beech Sateen from Bed Bath & Beyond. They are a synthetic fabric called Modal. Very soft and hold up well. People who stay in our guest bedroom usually ask us where they can buy these sheets. I think a Cal King set with 2 pillowcases is $100 or less using the 20% off coupon BB&B constantly sends out.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2017, 04:53 AM   #22

I love cotton jersey sheets--like sleeping in a T-shirt--and found the best quality at, of all places, Walmart. On sale, a set is about $16.00. That's a steal, but they only last about 3 years before needing replacement.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:10 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$23.00, and far nicer than my 600 thread count cotton sheets.
I bought a set of microfiber sheets and loved them at first. Some got nights were slightly warm and I instantly hated them. They don't breathe like cotton, I'm back to loving 100% cotton sheets. Happy you are pleased with low cost sheets.
Sunnymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:12 AM   #24

I have no idea what they are made of, but in the winter the bride puts on these thick flannel sheets, Love them! They are never cold when I slip into the bed.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:35 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I bought 2 sets of thick cotton flannel sheets at Costco--wonderful! Use them year round, warm in the winter, and cool in the summer if used without blankets. I also have a set of 600 count sateen cotton ones, also from Costco. Have had them for over 10 years. Love the feel of them!
Old 07-10-2017, 10:29 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Everyone who sells a product tries to convince you to buy theirs. Is this something you only just became aware of?

No one really 'needs' a high end watch, or designer shoes, or a car that goes 0-60 in a handful of seconds. Some people/companies make their money selling high end goods. Some make their money by trying to give you the best value, or the cheapest (which sometimes is a poor value).

The choice is yours. At any rate, I like choices, I don't buy high end bed sheets, but I'm glad someone does in case some day I want some. Maybe I could tell the difference?

-ERD50
Well said,

You can make the same argument for Louie Vuitton bags. which, yes I love and call them my one vice. No, I don't "need" a $2,900 bag . but I drool over them anyway.

Maybe the $200 sheets are worth it? I did stay in a 4 seasons in Paris and I would have sold one of my son's for the duvet. It was sooo soft and comfortable.

I did purchase a bed in a bag from Bloomingdales, I think it was ~150.00 bucks and included the comforter. I love it because it's a nice cotton blend. since the big "M" started I've been having hot flashes and these sheets keep me cool. I think that's the most I've ever spent
Old 07-10-2017, 10:35 AM   #27

I like cotton sateen, 300 count+

I get sets when needed at Homegoods or Marshalls. $40 or less for a queen set. But yeah I might one day treat myself to whatever they use at Ritz Carltons.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:41 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Late wife bought nothing but cotton sheets. There are several sets in the closet.

I hang them on a clothes line to dry, would not think of ironing them.
Slowly getting the hang of all this domestic stuff DW was doing.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:46 AM   #29

I don't like sateen sheets, they seem to slippery for my taste. I think we got our cotton sheets at Macy's.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:46 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

My mattress is queen size. My issue with sheets is that they are always sold in a set. Queen top sheets are too narrow, move around much and they don't cover the 'subject'. I buy a King top sheet and a queen bottom from L. L. Bean. Those cotton sheets have heft and are soft... likely last my lifetime.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:04 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

When I was a kid everyone ironed their sheets because they were so wrinkled that they were uncomfortable to sleep on. As soon as the fabrics got better everyone stopped.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:09 PM   #32

I used to buy linens from LL bean. Thanks to this thread, I might look there first.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:11 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
When I was a kid everyone ironed their sheets because they were so wrinkled that they were uncomfortable to sleep on. As soon as the fabrics got better everyone stopped.
OK thats probably why I didnt have to hold them for her as a teen, I only remember this chore when I was young
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:33 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

We opt for cotton vs polyester, even for the sheets in the camper, and especially for pillow cases.

The cost really isn't relevant. Sheets (at least quality sheets) last for years and you're in contact with them 7 - 8 hours a day, most days. The difference in cost/night's sleep is very small. Saving a little for something I use a lot wouldn't make sense if the quality/utility/enjoyment was diminished, even a bit.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:01 PM   #35

I see a lot of comments associating cotton with higher quality and better enjoyment, but I'm very curious to hear from people who have tried both. Aside from the one comment about them sleeping warmer, I haven't seen anyone mention that they have tried the microfiber and then went back to cotton.

Is it possible that you have been trained to think that cotton is better than microfiber and have just gone along with that assumption for many years without testing the alternatives? I know I did.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:51 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I made the comment that microfiber is hotter, but I know sheets are personal. I love crisp percale, dislike slinky sateen. I'm fussy about how my sheets feel.

I wash my sheets alone, carefully dry them for ten minutes, remove then from the dryer, immediately putting the bottom sheet on the bed, smoothing it flat, then iron my pillowcases and sides of my top sheet, then put the top sheet on the bed with no covers to let them completely dry, then put on the coverlet.

Yep, I like my sheets just so.
Sunnymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:27 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I've tried both, and by far I like Harmony Linen (microfiber) sheets best. ~$20 on Amazon.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:24 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I checked the sheets on Amazon that Ready posted. Those are the ones that we use, too. When we stay in places that tout their cotton thread count sheets, I always love it when we come home to our soft sheets. So soft that DH says he likes them better (and he doesn't notice much). At this price, they don't last 10 years, but I just re-order some more.

One of my childhood jobs was to iron the sheets. Once I got out on my own, I stopped ironing my sheets. Who sees them anyway?
bhoferp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:50 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I've tried both, and by far I like Harmony Linen (microfiber) sheets best. ~$20 on Amazon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoferp View Post
I checked the sheets on Amazon that Ready posted. Those are the ones that we use, too. When we stay in places that tout their cotton thread count sheets, I always love it when we come home to our soft sheets. So soft that DH says he likes them better (and he doesn't notice much). At this price, they don't last 10 years, but I just re-order some more.

One of my childhood jobs was to iron the sheets. Once I got out on my own, I stopped ironing my sheets. Who sees them anyway?
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. It's funny how you learn a lesson early on in life and you just keep going with it and never stop to reevaluate if it still applies.

I remember the polyester sheets from my youth and they were just awful. So I could see why cotton was the way to go. But I think the new microfibers are so much better than cotton that the only reason cotton keeps selling so well is because most of us never noticed that it just isn't the best material for sheets any more.

I suspect most of the posters on this thread have never evaluated the alternatives. The sheets I bought have a money back guarantee. In fact, the seller is so confident in their sheets that they offer to give you your money back if you are not satisfied and you don't even have to return the product.

When was the last time Target or TJ Maxx offered that to you?
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:56 PM   #40

I like the cotton jersey (T-shirt) sheets also.

But maybe someday I'll save up and try linen. www.roughlinen.com