Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-24-2008, 03:07 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn54 View Post
Since we're discussing temps. Which is worse. Freezing cold in MN in the winter or Steaming hot in FL or AZ in the summer? I say the heat is worse because you can always put on another layer of clothing to stay warm if it's cold but you can only take off so much and you're still hot.
Money Magazine obviously prefers cold winters to hot summers when it comes to the best 10 small cities. I think it's an individual thing. I never feel the heat but the cold, oh my God.

There is also the daylight issue in the northern cities--long winter nights plus the longer cold season are depressing to me. FL and AZ don't have the sunshine deprivation. But again, seasonal daylight changes don't bother everyone, obviously.

And as I said, Minnesota is beautiful and Minneapolis is an awesome city.
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2008, 03:18 PM   #22
gone traveling

Quote:
Since we're discussing temps. Which is worse. Freezing cold in MN in the winter or Steaming hot in FL or AZ in the summer? I say the heat is worse because you can always put on another layer of clothing to stay warm if it's cold but you can only take off so much and you're still hot.
I have lived in Eastern Washington (coldest winter day was about -28 ) and Phoenix AZ (Hottest summer has been +118 )

Both extremes suck. You are a slave to your furnace all winter in one climate; your air conditioner all summer in the other. I would give the colder climate a slight advantage for younger folks, but as you get older, that advantage may well sway to the warmer climate.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:19 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

You are correct about the long winters with short daylight. I suppose SAD, seasonal affective disorder, is not discussed much in FL or AZ. Most everyone needs a vacation in the winter to break up the long cold spells. Its funny when I go somewhere warm in the winter there are always lots of Canadians there. Wonder why?
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:28 PM   #24
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
What part of the country do you live in, Skittles?
I'm in Louisiana. I agree with you about cold weather. I never had to live in it, and never plan to. But there's a lot of beauty up north I'd like to see.
skittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:46 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

no reflection on the topic at hand and just to hijack for a comment because i used to like the best city for this and best city for that articles until i started reading this and for some reason tv talk shows popped into my head. you know how everyone gets all excited just because the guest mentions some city or another.

so now i think these articles are just going after cheap applause.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:47 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sorry, my mind must be going, hopefully not too late. As marquette pointed out, the city is Plymouth, MN. Yes ziggy, there is no one best city. I agree. Although if it wasn't so *&!! cold here in the winter I wouldn't be looking to move. As far as living in the suburbs, it depends on what you're looking for. Open spaces yet close enough to a metro. area and university. It could be worse.
I agree, the problem with the MN and WI area is the exteme cold in the winter. Otherwise they'd be at the top of nearly anyones list. I live 5 minutes from a lake (Lake Winnebago) that is very recreation-friendly and only a little over an hour from Lake Michigan. Low crime, low pollution, low traffic, and affordable prices. A nice home on the lake can be had starting at $250K. BUT, and that's a big but, winter lasts for 4+ months and is nearly intolerable. I don't know how they could put any snow-belt city at the top of the list. That makes it so unappealing to so many people that it should be disqualified immediately.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:07 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Living in WI I am exposed to extreme heat as well as extreme cold. It does hit 90 with 60%+ humidity in the summer which some may say is worse than the 110 dry heat in AZ. Although the 90 with humidity is uncomfortable the -10 with -40+ windchill is down right painful for me. So I very, very much prefer the hot over the cold.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:08 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I agree, the problem with the MN and WI area is the exteme cold in the winter. Otherwise they'd be at the top of nearly anyones list. I live 5 minutes from a lake (Lake Winnebago) that is very recreation-friendly and only a little over an hour from Lake Michigan. Low crime, low pollution, low traffic, and affordable prices. A nice home on the lake can be had starting at $250K. BUT, and that's a big but, winter lasts for 4+ months and is nearly intolerable. I don't know how they could put any snow-belt city at the top of the list. That makes it so unappealing to so many people that it should be disqualified immediately.
Pinochle cures winter - double deck if you can get enough people.

Of course my ancient ancestors were from upper Michigan and held strange views - down south was Detroit.

heh heh heh - The MN branch(by Sis's marriage) always claimed a trip to Vegas helped the winter blues.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:09 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Living in WI I am exposed to extreme heat as well as extreme cold. It does hit 90 with 60%+ humidity in the summer which some may say is worse than the 110 dry heat in AZ. Although the 90 with humidity is uncomfortable the -10 with -40+ windchill is down right painful for me. So I very, very much prefer the hot over the cold.
Don't forget the BUGS to rival anything found in the Lone Star State!
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:16 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Don't forget the BUGS to rival anything found in the Lone Star State!
You mean these bugs?
LAKEFLIES ATTACK!! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!! on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 07-24-2008, 04:18 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Pinochle cures winter - double deck if you can get enough people.

Of course my ancient ancestors were from upper Michigan and held strange views - down south was Detroit.

heh heh heh - The MN branch(by Sis's marriage) always claimed a trip to Vegas helped the winter blues.
I went to Vegas in Feb a couple years ago to get away from the cold and it was in the 30's with a cold wind. Not what I expected.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:29 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I remember those and the mosquitoes and the clouds of little ones you inhale.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:55 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
They've obviously never been to Plymouth.

and I question them choosing suburbs. If someone came over here for the best small city in America and wound up in Plymouth or Chaska, I think they'd want a refund.
I question them regarding suburbs too. And when I looked at the 100 best list they had Hunter Mill VA listed. Not even a suburb, it's just a neighborhood within a suburb. Very weird choices.

Harley
Old 07-24-2008, 05:05 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I question them regarding suburbs too. And when I looked at the 100 best list they had Hunter Mill VA listed. Not even a suburb, it's just a neighborhood within a suburb. Very weird choices.

Harley
Hunter Mill has a population of nearly 125,000 people. Hardly a "neighborhood". I chose to live in the city i'm in because I didn't want to move to the " big city" of 60,000 to the north. Whether you're talking about temperature or population everything is very relative. Opinions very greatly from person to person.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:12 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hunter Mill has a population of nearly 125,000 people. Hardly a "neighborhood". I chose to live in the city i'm in because I didn't want to move to the " big city" of 60,000 to the north. Whether you're talking about temperature or population everything is very relative. Opinions very greatly from person to person.
My mistake, sort of. They aren't talking about the real Hunter Mill area, they are talking about a district within Fairfax County VA. They also list Sully. These are both gerrymandered rich districts within the county. Nice places, but I still can't see how they would qualify as cities or towns. Both contain other cities (Vienna, Chantilly, Centreville, etc.) I just don't understand Money's criteria.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:54 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I noted both Roundrock, TX and Naperville, IL on the list. Somewhat like my 'burb, they're well-to-do, but if you have to commute, gawd help you...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:05 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

One thing I have noticed since moving to the central city- there is way less traffic. Traffic and rush hour are for the most part suburban phenomena.

It's always a tradeoff, but as long as I can avoid areas of major personal crime I prefer big cities, especially ones with an old urban core laid down before cars were common.

Ha
Old 07-31-2008, 09:10 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Born and raised in the Midwest, I can honestly say I hate winter. So to solve the hot summer and below zero winter dilema, I am buying a house in Florida for winter and keep my cabin in the Midwest for summer.

I'll pick my favorite city to live not some magazine.
lynxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:18 AM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

I live in Naperville, IL which is number 3 on the list. It has probably been in the top 5 most years in one poll or another. Please don't move here it is already too crowded and the traffic is terrible. Oh, yeah, property taxes and housing are very expensive by midwest standards. If it weren't for the j*b I would have left years ago. Also you pay a premium for you gasoline too. You pay a premium for every possible service because the trades know you got it and they are going to get it.

They have a good school system, they should since teachers probably make $100,000+ per year. You better make that much if you expect to live here. I warned you!
Tom52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:22 AM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I tried that approach Tom and it doesn't work very well...