Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-17-2012, 11:58 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
But you could not afford the RE Taxes.

Oh! And the countries best kept secret. St. Augustine Beach, Florida. But you do not really want to be here, it is too nice and full of old folk like me . A little humid in the summer but not as bad as South Florida and not as built up and crowded as the West Coast of FLA. Only 4 story buildings allowed here. Go to DayTona, Tampa, Sarasota, FT. Meyers, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami Etc. and you cannot see the ocean for high rises. I looked recently and visited most major cities in Florida. Not a Patch on "Old" St. Auggie. Great Beaches and fishing. We came here by accident and never left.
We recently looked into it, but were "put off" by the number of sex offenders (something like 1 in 93) if I recall. Now looking further down the coast in Rockledge. My Wife likes it because the original name was "Peru" and it is near what is considered one of Florida's best beaches!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

San Francisco area is liberal too, at least as if not more liberal than Oregon.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Ahem, an update in case you missed us being voted THE BEST CITY IN THE WORLD!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

The south end of Bainbridge Island is in a rain shadow. If you buy be sure that you are served by Sewer District 7, their rates are much lower than the City of Bainbridge.

The pic to the left was taken off my deck when we lived there.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:49 PM   #45
Confused about dryer sheets

Austin
quidjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Bellingham, WA
Old 10-18-2012, 04:00 AM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
But you could not afford the RE Taxes.

Oh! And the countries best kept secret. St. Augustine Beach, Florida. But you do not really want to be here, it is too nice and full of old folk like me . A little humid in the summer but not as bad as South Florida and not as built up and crowded as the West Coast of FLA. Only 4 story buildings allowed here. Go to DayTona, Tampa, Sarasota, FT. Meyers, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami Etc. and you cannot see the ocean for high rises. I looked recently and visited most major cities in Florida. Not a Patch on "Old" St. Auggie. Great Beaches and fishing. We came here by accident and never left.
SWR-

What about Amelia Island and Fernandina Beach? It's close to St Augie/Jacksonville. How would you characterize it?
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

The hill country south and west of Austin seems to meet all your criteria except perhaps for the pro team thing. Lots of quaint towns, scenic country in a drier and sunnier way than the Northwest. Easy access to both Austin and San Antonio and Houston isn't THAT far away. The Gulf Coast would be about 4 hours away but there are lots of big lakes in the area. Here's a starting point:

Charming Towns of the Hill Country
texasdiver is offline   Reply With Quote