Join Early Retirement Today

Best Day Ever?
Old 04-14-2014, 08:26 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Best Day Ever?

What would you consider the best day of your life?

(some of the introspective threads have been interesting lately)
cj1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2014, 08:33 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Tomorrow, I hope...
Old 04-14-2014, 08:44 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This is the day that popped into my head:

September 1980. I was 23, and a neurosurgical intern on a grueling 1 in 2 call schedule. That meant I worked every weekday, every other night, and every other weekend. On my free weekend my Dad and I drove to a very pretty golf course about 20 miles away and played 18 holes in beautiful September sunshine. Then we drove to the closest town, http://kinsale.ie , which is both a historic and a gourmet centre, and ate a wonderful seafood dinner. We arrived home tired and happy. The memory of that glorious day kept me going through many difficult days and nights in the weeks ahead.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:55 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's tough to decide on the absolute best day, but I will say Fri Sept 30, 2011, the day I walked out of MegaCorp HQ for the last time and officially began my early retirement, was one of the best days of my life.
truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:04 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I have 2, way ahead of all others.

The days my two sons were born. Prior to this I felt like a was only apprenticing to life.

Ha
Old 04-14-2014, 09:13 PM   #6
Administrator

Tough choice!!

I would say Monday, September 17, 1973, the first day I started work after leaving home. I grew up in a small mining town and no one in my extended family had ever graduated High School let alone gone to university. We never had a car or telephone, no inside bathroom until I was 14, and I knew almost nothing about the world outside my County. On Saturday 15th of that month my parents saw me off on the train to a new life, with a rucksack on my back and a suitcase containing everything I owned. I had earned a place at University with an apprenticeship from a big company, 6 months working, 6 months at university. I arrived at my lodgings, a single room "bedsit" on the Saturday night, and Monday morning walked about 3 miles into my new place of work where I met up with 12 other new student apprentices.

It was a magical day and I made some lifelong friends, as well as met my future wife. (we became friends and started dating about 9 months later)
Old 04-14-2014, 10:07 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

This isn't really "best day ever" material, but a great family day. It's related to that "Dad" thread. That Cubs/Cards game happened on my birthday, and they put my name up on the scoreboard. I got a photo (no, I won't post) and the best part is you can see Andre Dawson looking up at the board.

The Hawk!!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:49 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The day I left home for good, off to college in summer, 1980. It was like getting out of jail, away from despot (father who was drunk half the time, abusive, and narcissistic), into freedom. Never looked back or went back. Had I stayed, I would either ended up in jail, in mental institution, or dead. Took 20 more years for nightmares to stop, and a few more years to be truly happy.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Best Day Ever?
Old 04-15-2014, 01:18 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Best Day Ever?

My wife's birthday in 2004 when the doctor came out of her surgery and said "It's ovarian cancer, but I think we got it all." Ten years later she's still going strong and free of that awful disease because we caught it early enough and that surgeon took such wonderful care with her. I've cherished every day with her since knowing how close I came to losing her.
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:38 AM   #10

Don't know the exact date, but in 1977 when DS was about 14 months, he was diagnosed with retina-blastoma. No other possibilities. Wheeled him in to OR to remove eye and test for spread of the tumor. After a very short time were told that it wasn't that, what they saw was detached retina from Coates disease (genetic malformation of capillaries in retina; rarely shows up in second eye). Never imagined how elated we would be upon being told our son was blind in one eye and had been from birth! Retelling the story still brings tears to my eye. This was preceded by a week's wait in which we did all sorts of research (pre internet) and were collecting whatever assets we could sell to send him anywhere we could. As it turns out, never having sight in that eye, he was perfectly able to play tennis, baseball, and other competitive sports.

Good to retell this. Reminds me of all we have to be thankful for.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:23 AM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Tomorrow, I hope...
Yup. Can't put it any better than this

MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:39 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj1717 View Post
What would you consider the best day of your life?
That is a tough one. Probably the day we were married - beautiful day and everything went off without a hitch with lots of friends and family present. I had no idea how lucky I was at the time.

Another really good day was a day bass fishing with my Dad and my son. Three generations having a great day together out on the water (and a smidgen of fishing trash-talk too).

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:09 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Difficult to pin down the best day, but one sure comes to mind...

My family was never the outdoors type, and I grew up in the South, but as I kid I always longed for the mountains and the West.

My first vacation on my own, after I'd moved away from home, was to Yellowstone National Park. I'd never been to a national park before, nor any of the Rocky Mountain states. I flew into Billings, Montana, whose airport sits on top of a bluff. The arrival was awe inspiring.

I rented my car, a little 3-cylinder Daihatsu Charade. I'll never forget that. A little 3-cylinder car trying to make it over Montana mountains. I had it floored, and it was barely moving.

As I drove west from Billings to Bozeman on I-90, it's like the whole world opened up. Words can't describe it. I could see why they call Montana "Big Sky Country". The open land, blue sky, clouds, the mountains in the distance. That drive, and visiting the park later, literally changed my life.

I moved to Denver sight unseen a few months later because of that trip, which started my love affair with the Rocky Mountain west. It's one of the reasons I want to so desperately move back there for at least a couple years when I quit in about another year.

There's a bit of my soul I left in Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado when I left, and I need to go get it back and do those trips again.
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:06 AM   #14

It was an ordinary day in the spring of 1987. My sons were 5 months old and almost 3 years old and we took a late morning walk up to the bank at the shopping center. I had the baby in the stroller and my older son rode his tricycle. It was warm enough for light jackets. It was sunny and the birds were chirping and both kids were happy to be out for an errand. The baby cooed and babbled and his brother talked about anything and everything all the way up to the bank.

Nobody got cranky or loaded up a diaper or needed a bathroom stop (older son was succeeding at toilet training) and I remember thinking that this was exactly what I always wanted, which was to just be a Mom at home with my kids, having the time to take walks and enjoy a lovely spring day with my boys.

Coming in second may be the day that DH and I drove to the state capitol to meet with the pension system retirement counselor. DH had lost his job the previous month and we were seriously considering him retiring when he hit 55 in 2 months. The pension system had a very good website and all the calculations looked good but I wanted to make sure that we were accurate on the amount of reduction based on 100% to surviving spouse. We had all our questions prepared and the counselor gave us the final number for 100% to surviving spouse option and clarified the health care insurance options (vastly changed since then).

On the way home I double checked our budget numbers and the now officially verified pension estimates and we seriously talked about the option of retiring. As we talked it all started to sound better and better. He had a job interview coming up and we realized that if it didn't work out, he really could retire. We wouldn't starve, we wouldn't even have to make drastic changes. I could see the weight come off of his shoulders and the worry lines in his face relax. By the time we got home we both knew we'd be just fine!
Old 04-15-2014, 11:36 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I love this thread already. It needs a Like button!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:11 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by truenorth418 View Post
It's tough to decide on the absolute best day, but I will say Fri Sept 30, 2011, the day I walked out of MegaCorp HQ for the last time and officially began my early retirement, was one of the best days of my life.
Same here, Friday, October 31, 2008, the day I ended my career and began my early retirement. It's the only time I had tears of joy.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:23 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I can't really choose just one day as the best day ever.

But gosh, I am surprised that with all the academics here, nobody here has even mentioned their dissertation defense day as their best day. I was on top of the world that day.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:28 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

But gosh, I am surprised that with all the academics here, nobody here has even mentioned their dissertation defense day as their best day. I was on top of the world that day.

The world has been deprived of Dr. Steelyman. I don't care, like Belushi I will DANCE

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:07 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

Perhaps that was also one of the worst days stress-wise, up to a point? I can imagine what a roller coaster that day must have been, Dr. W2R!

I have a lot of little personal moments that are crystallized in my mind, when I knew how special that moment was while it was happening, and I can close my eyes and almost relive them. But Dash man and h20dude's post are good reminders of the knee buckling, thudding feeling of relief when we learn the biopsies were negative, or that the teenager suffered only a couple of broken bones when the car was totaled, that this time at least the news won't be bad. I need to remember those times and feelings, too.
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:13 PM   #20

Easy,
Senior year of college -- the day the girl who turned out the be my DW finally consented to my advances to be more than just a buddy.

Sealed the deal with a nice kiss.

-gauss
gauss is online now   Reply With Quote