Best or memorable travel meals

Had an amazing meal at a place that translated to "The Tomato" in Saarbrucken, GErmany after a very long, VERY RAINY, many train changey kind of day. on foot. Did I mention the rain? best tomato soup of my life. Had a memorable breakfast in Copenhagen at a place that the name escapes me but the memory does not. Also had my first lieberkis (sp?) sandwich on a train platform at the main station in Hanover, Germany. VERY good esp considering it was a train platform.

You would be in Leberkäs heaven in Munich's, Viktualienmarkt just past the Glockenspiel at the Marienplatz, there are markets and stores with piles of it, we had it with an egg on a German soft bun. Would love that 3 times per day.

I'm gaining weight just reading.

Are you military, if not too revealing? Lots of family of mine are.

I’ll play. There have been so many it would be hard to choose, but a couple that stood out where atmosphere, occasion and/or food all came together to make them memorable for us. In no particular order:

Topper’s - Nantucket MA
Home Port - Menemsha MA
Al Forno - Providence RI
Fish - Jamestown RI
Topolobampo & Frontera Grill - Chicago IL
Chez Panisse - Berkeley CA

Several great restaurants in Italy and Germany when I was young, probably all gone now.

Surprising disappointment: The French Laundry - Yountville CA. It was very good, but by the time we went they were more about turning tables and maximizing the bill than providing an experience. I am sure it was the best restaurant in the world on some lists in their earlier years.

Last edited:
Off the top of my head I can think of two meals that impressed me deeply.

First was long ago on the other side of the world when I had a steak made from real Kobe beef. Utterly memorable.

Second was on one of my first visits to Germany when I had my first Schweinhaxe.

Scweinhaxe is pretty awesome. We had a great dining experience at the old monastery brewery hall in Salzburg. And gosh that’s a gorgeous city!

I’ve been considering trying it at home. I just have to find some non-smoked pork hocks. Should be available around here - most meat cuts are due to large Latino community.

Likely not the “best”, but I had a pizza, in a German restaurant, in Japan...

That’s funny. Reminds me of when I had some very good Mexican food in an English pub located in Shanghai.

Also, maybe cause we were just really hungry after hiking, but the best burger I ever had was at Billy’s Burger in downtown Jackson Hole.

Love seafood, although not much good stuff near where I live. Taking notes from others in this thread on that.

La Tre Sorelle Positano, Italy. The Mediterranean sea to my back, freshly caught fish on my plate finished with tomatoes and olive oil. Wine from the hills around me. Surrounded by friends.

Charcuterie from the local butcher in Pinhao. Bottle of wine from the winery steps away, all spread out on the bed in our hotel room high above the Douro River in Portugal.

Chef's tasting menu at the Little Nell in Aspen. 7 courses paired with wines. Our table surrounded by the waitstaff, all talking about what trails we hiked that day and what trails they like to hike. Eating great food, drinking great wine, hanging with the waitstaff. One of a kind experience.

To be continued....

Fresh porcini mushrooms - had several times in Europe and just out of this world. First in Hallstatt Austria where we raved about the flavor and the waiter explained that they were steinpilzen (stone mushrooms) which I later figured out were boletus/cepes/porcini.

Boletus does grow wild in North America, and if you’re a mushroom hunter you have access. But gosh, so easy to find fresh in markets all over Europe.

Visiting an Iberian pig farm up in the mountains of the Huelva area of southern Spain, sampling their 100% acirn fed jamón ibérico and lomita, along with local cheeses, sherry, orange wine and some white wine I don’t remember. Just incredible.

It looked just like the Texas hill country west of Fredericksburg, except those small live oak lookalikes were actually cork trees (also a type of oak)

Last edited:
Eating at a street food stall in Bangkok. I pointed at a plate piled high with steaming chicken, vegs and chili peppers. The lady put a bunch on a plate for me and when I sat down to eat it she and her family stared at me, ran and got me a soda, wondering if was going to explode from the heat of the chilis. I didn't, but man, that was hot!

While in Napoli we did a street food tour 10 food stops and a great guide around the Piazza Dante. Not 4 star dining but 5 star fun.

We also did an 8 mile walk from Santa Lucia to Marechiaro at the west point of the bay. At lunch we stopped in Gastronomia Giulia for a wonderful panini and cold beers. We don't speak italian and they didn't speak english, but I tried my mexican spanish on them and we did ok. The wife got a big laugh when I went to pay our bill with our beer bottle caps in hand so she would know how many we had. No michelin stars but a 5 star meal in our eyes.

IMG_20180922_123728198.jpg

I’ll play. There have been so many it would be hard to choose, but a couple that stood out where atmosphere, occasion and/or food all came together to make them memorable for us. In no particular order:

Topper’s - Nantucket MA
Home Port - Menemsha MA
Al Forno - Providence RI
Fish - Jamestown RI
Topolobampo & Frontera Grill - Chicago IL
Chez Panisse - Berkeley CA

Several great restaurants in Italy and Germany when I was young, probably all gone now.

Surprising disappointment: The French Laundry - Yountville CA. It was very good, but by the time we went they were more about turning tables and maximizing the bill than providing an experience. I am sure it was the best restaurant in the world on some lists in their earlier years.
Chicagoland lady, got a question, Uno, Due, Giordano or Malnati? I'm a Malnati fanboy! And if you happen to be near the cathedral area, get a sub, maybe roast beef at the little joint at E Huron/Rush, rivals NYC delis, oh and a Reuben at Ashkenaz Deli, let me know if a LA rube like me is mistaken, that those are the bomb.
I'll buy you and DH a meal next time I visit the best city.

Eating at a street food stall in Bangkok. I pointed at a plate piled high with steaming chicken, vegs and chili peppers. The lady put a bunch on a plate for me and when I sat down to eat it she and her family stared at me, ran and got me a soda, wondering if was going to explode from the heat of the chilis. I didn't, but man, that was hot!

Did you (like me) enjoy the love of Thais as much as the food? Thai people are special to me!!!!

Chicagoland lady, got a question, Uno, Due, Giordano or Malnati? I'm a Malnati fanboy! And if you happen to be near the cathedral area, get a sub, maybe roast beef at the little joint at E Huron/Rush, rivals NYC delis, oh and a Reuben at Ashkenaz Deli, let me know if a LA rube like me is mistaken, that those are the bomb.
I’ve been to all four pizza places named above and I’d pick none of the above. My pick would be Spacca Napoli, Forno Rosso Pizzeria Napoletana or another artisan Neapolitan style.

And my Reuben would come from Manny’s.

Last edited:
Back from my work days, 2 outstanding restaurants in NYC.
Per Se and Le Bernardin - both outstanding French restaurants in terms of food, presentation, service, etc.
Prices are off the charts, but worth a special one time celebration if a foodie.

I’ve been to all four pizza places named above and I’d pick none of the above. My pick would be Spacca Napoli, Forno Rosso Pizzeria Napoletana or another artisan Neapolitan style.

And my Reuben would come from Manny’s.

But, I do hope you try the tiny deli at Huron/Rush, chewy hoagie/lotsa RB/veg/mayo. Nice place.

- Couple years back in Lisbon, chopped octopus at second floor open window overlooking the street & plaza below. Nice wine.
- In Honfleur, we were looking for a place & a couple were sitting in the window of a place eating buckets of mussels. Went in & had same with a couple of beers. I know, beer in France is sacrilegious.
- Multiple tapas bars' stops one evening in Barcelona
- Best dessert I ever had was at Las Brisas in Laguna Beach. Spectacular views. It's been a good while.

But, I do hope you try the tiny deli at Huron/Rush, chewy hoagie/lotsa RB/veg/mayo. Nice place.
Looks like it closed in 2012? Last post on FB was Oct 2012 too.

https://www.timeout.com/chicago/restaurants/ashkenaz-deli-closed

Ashkenaz Deli (closed) in Chicago, IL 60611 | Citysearch

Ashkenaz Deli

Ashkenaz was the last big Jewish deli in the Gold Coast, at 12 E. Cedar St., in a building now gone and replaced, next door to where The Goddess and Grocer now stands. But Ashkenaz deli history dates to 1910 when Russian immigrants George and Ada Ashkenaz first opened in North Lawndale near the corner of Roosevelt Road and Karlov Avenue. In 1940, their son Sam Ashkenaz took over, then moved the family deli to Rogers Park at 1432 W. Morse Ave. There he would become known for his cheese blintz topped with fresh, in-season blueberries. In the 1970s a second Ashkenaz location would temporarily pop up in North Shore suburb Wilmette, at 3223 W. Lake St., soon before the famous deli made its final move to the Gold Coast (though the date is unclear).

Restaurateur Howard Cohan bought the business in 2005, then closed the Ashkenaz deli in 2012. At the time, Cohan said the recession and the passing away of an older Jewish clientele in the Gold Coast had hurt the business, reported Crain's.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/dinin...chicago-jewish-delis-1108-20171103-story.html

Last edited:
Twenty years ago, a friend and I were traveling by car in Spain. While along the Mediterranean, for dinner, we drove up the hillside to a tiny restaurant with a great view of the sea and the town below from the piazza where we were seated.

I ordered an Argentine steak that came with some sort of sauce. The meat was to die for...tender, succulent, and oh-so-flavorful. I still dream of that steak.

Last December, I was in Argentina and was hoping for a similar dining experience, even visiting an Estancia an hour outside Buenos Aires and having a 'home-grown' steak there. Alas, although the steaks were good, they did not compare with the one I had in Spain many years ago.

omni

Twenty years ago, a friend and I were traveling by car in Spain. While along the Mediterranean, for dinner, we drove up the hillside to a tiny restaurant with a great view of the sea and the town below from the piazza where we were seated.

I ordered an Argentine steak that came with some sort of sauce. The meat was to die for...tender, succulent, and oh-so-flavorful. I still dream of that steak.

Last December, I was in Argentina and was hoping for a similar dining experience, even visiting an Estancia an hour outside Buenos Aires and having a 'home-grown' steak there. Alas, although the steaks were good, they did not compare with the one I had in Spain many years ago.

omni
20 years can blur memories & over-rate something you enjoyed back then. But great.

In Chicago, we always send people to Lou Malnati’s!

Classic French meal in (of all places) Hong Kong

Fish & Chips from a take-our joint in Grantown-on-Spey (chosen because there was a line out the door and we figured locals knew best)

In NYC Nov 2001 - walked into some of the best restos in town without reservations, including Daniel Boulud

In Paris, there is a Korean restaurant a couple hundred yards from the Statue of Liberty. Akasaka - don't ask me why it has a Japanese name.:confused: It seats perhaps 20 customers. There is no getting in w/o a reservation. My Korean DW loved the food (and her standards are high indeed). I thought the food was great as well. Even the Kimchi (most kimchi is mediocre - store stuff is awful). We had a great lunch, added some take away to our order, and left as very happy and slightly fatter tourists.

We definitely have some places we consider must stops, and we may just be guilty of planning routes way out of our way just to be able to eat at them. :) In no particular order:

At Sara's Table in Duluth, MN. This is a popular place, and over the last decade or so we have eaten here 9-10 times. Part of it is the ambiance of sitting on the deck when the weather is nice, a large part of it is the made from scratch farm to table type food, and another good part has always been the service. Breakfast or lunch, we've never had anything bad. And we have purchased a few things to take with us (some cranberry bread for my wife, and pure maple syrup infused with something that makes it the best I've had).

Beau Jo's pizza, at least the original in Idaho Springs, Colorado. Fresh made dough daily using honey as the sweetener, fresh copious ingredients, and honey on the table makes it a winner. Over the years some of the other locations have been good still, but the one in Idaho Springs has always been spectacular. Not sure what colorado style pizza is, but they have a couple of different crust styles. The Mamma Mia mountain pizza is my favorite. And Mount Evans to the south is worth driving to the top unless you are in the winter. I believe it is the highest paved road in North America, and the only permafrost location in the lower 48. The lake below the summit is a good stop, and if you can make it up the last little bit from the parking lot at the top you can claim you hiked one of the 14k peaks in Colorado. ;)

4 Aces Diner in Lebanon, NH was a stop on the way back from a month long road trip that took us all the way up to Quebec City and down through Maine and Vermont. We had quite a bit of pure maple syrup with us and found this place because it offered it on the menu. The eclectic (to us) subway car dining room combined with excellent food was great. I still talk about the fried, homemade donut in maple syrup with whipped cream on top dessert I had there. I just wanted to taste it after my meal, but ended up eating the whole thing.

Salt Lick BBQ in Driftwood, Texas. I don't think the airport location does this any justice, so go to the original. A bit out in the country, but it feels like you are going to a hidden winery and being able to see in the pit was a lot of fun. We have at times ordered turkey breasts delivered out of state from here for Thanksgiving. I've had a lot of BBQ across the country, but the Salt Lick is my favorite. A few may have just as good or maybe even better BBQ in certain categories, but for overall experience and great across the board, can't suggest it enough.

Moonshadows in Malibu, CA mostly for the ability to sit at a pseudo private booth/table covered by curtains outside overlooking crashing waves, but the food was good too. I think this is also the bar that some actor (Mel Gibson??) got in trouble at, but that was after we went their the first time. Check out El Dorado State beack just north of here...along with being a very fine beach when it isn't high tide, it is where I asked my wife to marry me (as the sun set no less) many moons ago. ;)

Early Girl in Asheville deserves a mention but it may no longer be the same. The first couple of times we went to it this farm to table type place was amazing. I'm not sure if the original owners sold it, or if the publicity they have received in big travel magazines have caused them to go downhill a bit, but the last two times they were just not nearly as good. We may go back, but in their heyday this was my favorite breakfast place anywhere.

Lou Manetti in the Chicago area has already been mentioned. I wouldn't maybe have it on my top lists in the country, but if you are in the area I'd certainly suggest going to it.

Trail Head restaurant? In Estes Park is another favorite. While the elk stew is good, and other menu items are above average, the real reason to come is the view of Deer Mountain while sitting on their deck. This is just outside the quieter entrance (from Estes Park anyway) into Rocky Mountain National park and is always a welcome respite after hiking or crossing trail ridge road. It is also well above the hustle and bustle of what is becoming too touristy downtown Estes. I think it is some sort of visitor center or something and they have a big gift shop, but we have just gone for the views and to get a decent meal in a touristy town.

The Original Mexican Cafe in Galveston, TX is memorable because it has a very nice blend of what I consider to be real Mexican food but also a little bit of southwest style flavoring. We eat at Mexican restaurants everywhere we go, and this is hands down our favorite. Don't forget to take the ferry ride over the Bolivar Peninsula, see the houses (and school!) up on stilts, visit the fort park, and drive for some nice scenery up to the bird sanctuary.

We definitely have some places we consider must stops, and we may just be guilty of planning routes way out of our way just to be able to eat at them. :) In no particular order:

At Sara's Table in Duluth, MN. This is a popular place, and over the last decade or so we have eaten here 9-10 times. Part of it is the ambiance of sitting on the deck when the weather is nice, a large part of it is the made from scratch farm to table type food, and another good part has always been the service. Breakfast or lunch, we've never had anything bad. And we have purchased a few things to take with us (some cranberry bread for my wife, and pure maple syrup infused with something that makes it the best I've had).

Beau Jo's pizza, at least the original in Idaho Springs, Colorado. Fresh made dough daily using honey as the sweetener, fresh copious ingredients, and honey on the table makes it a winner. Over the years some of the other locations have been good still, but the one in Idaho Springs has always been spectacular. Not sure what colorado style pizza is, but they have a couple of different crust styles. The Mamma Mia mountain pizza is my favorite. And Mount Evans to the south is worth driving to the top unless you are in the winter. I believe it is the highest paved road in North America, and the only permafrost location in the lower 48. The lake below the summit is a good stop, and if you can make it up the last little bit from the parking lot at the top you can claim you hiked one of the 14k peaks in Colorado. ;)

4 Aces Diner in Lebanon, NH was a stop on the way back from a month long road trip that took us all the way up to Quebec City and down through Maine and Vermont. We had quite a bit of pure maple syrup with us and found this place because it offered it on the menu. The eclectic (to us) subway car dining room combined with excellent food was great. I still talk about the fried, homemade donut in maple syrup with whipped cream on top dessert I had there. I just wanted to taste it after my meal, but ended up eating the whole thing.

Salt Lick BBQ in Driftwood, Texas. I don't think the airport location does this any justice, so go to the original. A bit out in the country, but it feels like you are going to a hidden winery and being able to see in the pit was a lot of fun. We have at times ordered turkey breasts delivered out of state from here for Thanksgiving. I've had a lot of BBQ across the country, but the Salt Lick is my favorite. A few may have just as good or maybe even better BBQ in certain categories, but for overall experience and great across the board, can't suggest it enough.

Moonshadows in Malibu, CA mostly for the ability to sit at a pseudo private booth/table covered by curtains outside overlooking crashing waves, but the food was good too. I think this is also the bar that some actor (Mel Gibson??) got in trouble at, but that was after we went their the first time. Check out El Dorado State beack just north of here...along with being a very fine beach when it isn't high tide, it is where I asked my wife to marry me (as the sun set no less) many moons ago. ;)

Early Girl in Asheville deserves a mention but it may no longer be the same. The first couple of times we went to it this farm to table type place was amazing. I'm not sure if the original owners sold it, or if the publicity they have received in big travel magazines have caused them to go downhill a bit, but the last two times they were just not nearly as good. We may go back, but in their heyday this was my favorite breakfast place anywhere.

Lou Manetti in the Chicago area has already been mentioned. I wouldn't maybe have it on my top lists in the country, but if you are in the area I'd certainly suggest going to it.

Trail Head restaurant? In Estes Park is another favorite. While the elk stew is good, and other menu items are above average, the real reason to come is the view of Deer Mountain while sitting on their deck. This is just outside the quieter entrance (from Estes Park anyway) into Rocky Mountain National park and is always a welcome respite after hiking or crossing trail ridge road. It is also well above the hustle and bustle of what is becoming too touristy downtown Estes. I think it is some sort of visitor center or something and they have a big gift shop, but we have just gone for the views and to get a decent meal in a touristy town.

The Original Mexican Cafe in Galveston, TX is memorable because it has a very nice blend of what I consider to be real Mexican food but also a little bit of southwest style flavoring. We eat at Mexican restaurants everywhere we go, and this is hands down our favorite. Don't forget to take the ferry ride over the Bolivar Peninsula, see the houses (and school!) up on stilts, visit the fort park, and drive for some nice scenery up to the bird sanctuary.
Nice moves dude, thinking the same Moonshadows trip for my new love, awesome place.

Westcott Bay Oyster Company

Spending most of a week on San Juan Island, our lodging reception mentioned that Westcott Bay offered barbecued oysters (IMO that should be grilled oysters) out at their farm.

So we checked it out the next day. The grilled oysters were out of this world! Picknicking outside, right where they raise their oysters, clams and mussels.

So we bought clams to take home, and went back the next two days to eat more oysters! We had more grilled and I has some raw oysters too. A lot of work last I had to shuck them myself, but it was so worth it. Even got to pick out my own oysters from their tanks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom