Best or memorable travel meals

1988, down in the Selous, Tanzania, ate Wildebeest (prepared in a variety of ways, but still Wildebeest), every meal for a week since the airstrip was flooded and new supplies were unavailable.

Big Island, 13,000 feet at the top of Mauna Kea in our rental car watching the sun set. Meat/cheese platter and a pre mixed alcoholic drink from costco.

Ive been to michelin star rated restaurants...ive also been to holes in the wall where I had just as much mouth pleasure as I did at the higher end restaurants. Finding amazing tasting food isnt difficult...finding something that tastes good with the perfect setting/location...thats what's memorable to me.

Mine is also from The Big Island: fresh poke from a shack on the Hilo side. I had to go back. Several times.

Michael Warring/Vallejo, CA. Never heard of Vallejo? Not surprising. It's a lower-end suburban community in-between Berkeley and Napa, just over the Carquinez Bridge. Also, this restaurant is located inside a teeny-tiny strip mall that itself hides inside a rural housing development beside a golf course.

Reading this brought back memories! I lived in Valley Joe for a few years back in the early '90's. Was on a limited budget so things like Bud's burgers, the Highway 29 cafe and House of Soul (where I was first introduced to offal in the form of chitlins) were the places that I could afford to eat at on occasion.

Knowing the town back then, it surprises me to see this restaurant located there, but hey, the times they are a changin'!

La Tre Sorelle Positano, Italy. The Mediterranean sea to my back, freshly caught fish on my plate finished with tomatoes and olive oil. Wine from the hills around me. Surrounded by friends.

February 2003. We took a bus from Sorrento to go down to Amalfi for a day trip. On the way back, hopped off the bus at Positano, then walked down the crooked steep stairways and winding alleys to get down to the beach.

It was about 2PM, and in an off-season day at that, so the town was all quiet. We needed to find a place for lunch, and were lucky to find a restaurant opened. Could have been the one above. I am not sure but it was on the beach.

Had grilled squid for lunch. The plate looked like the photo below. We were the only tourists in town at that time, and the only people in the restaurant.

On the climb back to the main road to catch a bus back to Sorrento, we got lost and wandered around quite a bit, because we often mistook private stairways on the hill side that dead-ended at somebody's home. An elderly Italian woman was out during that time, saw us, and laughed when she saw that we got lost.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/R...c32d160df46a485!8m2!3d40.6280247!4d14.4871123

Last edited:
We don't eat out much when traveling due to the expense of it. Then again, we have not been overseas but once in Scotland and even then we ate in mostly. The food there leaves a lot to be desired anyway, except maybe the fish and chips.

But here in the states, when we travel to our timeshares we will eat a couple of meals out and have had some really good meals. One recent one that comes to mind was at the Family Table in Jeffersonville, VT. The best Shrimp Scampi ever and the waiter we had knew how to make a perfect double White Russian (per my instructions)- best I have ever had out.

We are not that hard to please. My husband is not an adventurous eater and he is pretty much a meat and potatoes type guy and not into tiny portions of fancily prepared food. Eating out to us is a special treat

A few travel [mostly cheap] favorites I never miss on the road....

Langer's Deli in Los Angeles - their #13 Hot Pastrami is unforgettable! (Cantor's isn't bad either)
Houston Airport bars - Don't know their names, but can't miss their fresh, delicious Gulf Shrimp while passing thru.
San Diego - Barrio Logan - Los Cuatros Milpas Mexican food (my visiting brother's top stop)
Sydney, AU - Rockpool Restaurant and Manta are tough to beat for a night on the town. $$$ Part of our annual visits.
N. AZ - Rock Springs Cafe - on the way to Flagstaff - the best Jack Daniels Pecan Pie in the world! Great BBQ too.
Toronto - Shakespeare's Bar in Yorkville - their patio is one of the best happy hour/evening hangs in town. Toronto's St. Lawrence Market is amazing too - so are street dogs. If you can get to Montfort's in Oakville, just off the QEW, order their Montfort's Chicken Sandwich and go straight to heaven (don't forget to use the two sauces that come with it). You're welcome.
Toronto Airport/Cottage Country - Weber's charcoal-grilled burgers. Best burger East of In-n-Out.
Montreal - La Queue de Cheval. "The Horse's Ass" 'The crown jewel of steakhouses'. No lie.
D.C. - Luke's Lobster [rolls]. Need I say more? Several locations around town.

Europe is full of great restaurants and the Michelin guide is the best way to find them. If you're a foodie or wine connoisseur, don't pass up a trip to the Alsace. Strasbourg is one of the most amazing cities for great food in the entire world, hands down.

If you find yourself in Mumbai, Trishna was listed by the Global Gourmet in the NY Times as one of the 10 restaurants to try before you die - remarkable seafood like you've never seen. Also Leopold Cafe, an expatriate oasis and nightly hangout when I was there on business.

Last edited:
I eat like a pot belly pig, and snuffle the food first.

Bern Switzerland, just walk along the main trolley St, look in windows filled with fried meat, go in, take a preemptive blood thinner and dive in. No names required, sizzling meat smell wii guide you.

Ala Moana Beach on Sunday, "cook on the beach day", find a Samoan family, try to blend in and get a plate. "young and old among them, clear blue island breeze". Izzy

Not much on ex-cargoes but the little boogers do have a unique texture and flavor, like eating a bike inner tube with a KY jelly inside, yum yum.

I've knowingly eaten rats, snakes, eels, rabbit, possum, horse, camel, crocodile tail from 24 ft long behemoth, kangaroo, a tarantula (threw up), earth worm soup, and much worse.

Let no meal escape your palate?

Here's another memorable meal. It was in Segovia, Spain. We were staying in Madrid, and took the train to Segovia for a day trip.

We took an early train from Madrid, then walked all the way from the Segovia train station to the Segovia Castle, then the Aquaduct, and finally the Cathedral. At the Cathedral, being tired and hungry we looked for a restaurant that served Cochinillo Asado or Roast Suckling Pig, a dish for which Segovia was well-known. As it was now in the afternoon, the chance of finding an open restaurant was not great, let alone finding one that offered the dish.

On the way walking in from the train station in the morning, we had stopped at a small neighborhood grocery to get some bread and jamón for a quick breakfast. I inquired the very nice shop owner for a restaurant serving this dish in town, and he could not help me. He even called someone, and said he did not know of anybody serving it for lunch. So, I did not have high hope that we could get to taste this local dish, unless we hung around till dinner time which would mean getting back to Madrid very late.

At a square not too far from the Cathedral, we stumbled upon an open restaurant, and yes, they had the dish. Wow, how lucky was that! I think because of the location, the restaurant did cater to tourists who came at odd hours, and we just lucked out. We were so happy.

See photo I took below. This is what travel memories are made of. Note the three servings. We were traveling with a female friend of my wife who was an American of German origin. She spoke some Castilian but not Catalan, and was upset when she could not understand people in Barcelona.:)

PS. Franco suppressed the use of Catalan under his regime, and the use of the language did not proliferate until after his death. Recently, Barcelona wanted to become free by having a referendum. I have not followed the news to see where it stands.

10965-albums220-picture1746.jpg

Last edited:
A few years ago we went to Sardinia on a family bike trip. One day we hiked up a small mountain to eat spit roasted suckling pig and fresh (still warm) ricotta goat cheese all made by the old shepard that tended his goats up there. Simple but incredible (and I think gluten free ;-)

A few years ago we went to Sardinia on a family bike trip. One day we hiked up a small mountain to eat spit roasted suckling pig and fresh (still warm) ricotta goat cheese all made by the old shepard that tended his goats up there. Simple but incredible (and I think gluten free ;-)

As a real cheese lover, I'm incredibly envious.

As a real cheese lover, I'm incredibly envious.

I never thought of myself as a cheese lover but that was a believer out of me. Unfortunately I have never found anything like it again. Maybe things just taste better after hiking up the mountain.

Most memorable meal - ever : the White Morph restarting in Kaikoura, New Zealand. Food was fabulous, service awesome.
Mind you, we live near New Orleans, where fine food is a way of life.

Back
Top Bottom