Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-23-2011, 04:17 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
It sounds very nice during most of the year. I guess in January through March you might spend more time inside, in a temperature-controlled environment. Granted, I haven't lived that far north but that doesn't seem so bad to me. We do that in the South to some extent in the summer. No way am I going jogging outside in August. From here your location seems like a reasonable choice for those who like it up there.
Right back at you. Nawlins is really unique in many (good) ways, there's no place quite like it as far as I know. I am sure there will be aspects you will miss when/if you move north...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2011, 04:32 PM   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Right back at you. Nawlins is really unique in many (good) ways, there's no place quite like it as far as I know. I am sure there will be aspects you will miss when/if you move north...
We will or would miss New Orleans dreadfully. I guess that is why we are putting off the move for now.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:49 PM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
And the best places to retire lists often include places up north, Madison WI and Minneapolis/St Paul MN seem to appear often - they both have a lot to offer if you can handle the winter months.

We chose MSP and have no regrets. It has one if not the best park system of any major town. Fortunately we have a place in the SW to escape the winters.
check6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:17 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by check6

We chose MSP and have no regrets. It has one if not the best park system of any major town. Fortunately we have a place in the SW to escape the winters.
MSP isnt called the Mini Apple for nothing. I love going up there a couple times a year, for no reason other than I like to go. Clean, vibrant downtown, and never need a cab to get where I want to go.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:17 AM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02camp View Post
Happy to see South Carolina make the list but Columbia? Charleston, Myrtle Beach or the Greenville areas are better choices imho.
I agree, Columbia? I live in N Myrtle Beach. Great weather, 5-10 degrees cooler than Columbia in the summer and we get a sea breeze virtually everyday. N Myrtle has much less traffic than Myrtle Beach and the beach is nicer and less crowded. Ya'll come to Dixie fer a visit.

See ya,

W
wallygator69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:15 PM   #86
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmary View Post
The best place for me is right here. We live in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountains, and I thank God every day for this gift (except when it is over 100 in the summertime). My family is all here. I was born and raised in CA/Ore. I wouldn't fit in anywhere else.

We bought property in the 1970's when it was cheap, and just hung on. I live on acreage near a small town that is full of cultural events, artists, humor, celebration, organic farmers, and even has its own community radio station. I can walk down the street and see a friend from 5 years ago; our conversation takes up where we left off.

I guess California/Oregon is just part of me - as is the Mid-west or East part of other people. I think a crucial key to happiness is to be rooted where I am.

I am a bit relieved when we are missing from those lists of "best place to retire," etc.
Hi can you be a bit more specific about where you are located? We're in the east Bay, and are looking to retire in some wide swath between like SLO and Mendocino... I'd love to know where you are located...

Thanks,

RTR
RTR2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:29 PM   #87
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
...and my wife went to college in Iowa City (#23).

Somebody likes small college towns.
I went to school in Iowa City as well, and graduated just 2.5 years ago. We all have different perspectives, but Iowa City, Coralville, and North Liberty are all basically 1 city now and add up to about 110,000 residents (based on estimates and 2010 census). I'm not sure it's a small college town anymore. It's kind of a college town surrounded by a small city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
I can kinda see the appeal of Iowa City. I've only been there once, several years ago, but from what I saw it wouldn't be bad. The downtown was close to the university campus and had a hippie vibe to it. There were nice shops, coffee shops and ethnic (Indian that we ate at) restaurants. If I remember right, this area was a pedestrian strip thru the downtown. I also know that medical and health related needs would be met at Iowa City and surrounding towns. Now, if the river would flood again...maybe, not so good in that way, but otherwise...not bad.
You described it pretty well. It's not in Iowa, it's surrounded by Iowa. Like a little Boulder, CO or something. The hospital's good, the people are nice, the public transit is decent, and the University scene adds a lot to the town.

As far as the river goes, if it floods it mainly impacts people by cutting off a few roads. Only a very small portion of the town gets flooded (Coralville on the other hand...) as Iowa City is mostly above the river.

If it weren't for the lack of mountains, we'd love to move back to Iowa City for retirement. Enough to do, but not huge, good places to eat, not much traffic, and we like the snow, thunderstorms, and tornadoes

Status: Saving. Started in Oct 2011, I am ~9 months ahead of where I expected to be and about ~3 months ahead of my desired schedule.
studbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:25 AM   #88
Recycles dryer sheets

Marquette MI Maybe if you are an Eskimo and love cold and snow. The winter can start there in September and end in June if you are lucky!!! I lived in Houghton MI for 6 years and it is no picnic. I will say that it is beautiful and the air is pure and invigorating but no thanks to all that snow and cold. If you like winter though it would be fine!
afntrn56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:52 AM   #89
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallygator69 View Post
I agree, Columbia? I live in N Myrtle Beach. Great weather, 5-10 degrees cooler than Columbia in the summer and we get a sea breeze virtually everyday. N Myrtle has much less traffic than Myrtle Beach and the beach is nicer and less crowded. Ya'll come to Dixie fer a visit.

See ya,

W

wallygator...North Myrtle Beach? I spent lots of my youth & some of my earlier adult life in that area...my home town (Rockingham, NC) is about 110 miles or so. I heard the Captain's Plank restaurant isn't there anymore...is that true? Spent many hrs fishing on the Cherry Grove Pier. Good times...I really miss it! I'll be in NC for a visit in the summer, & plan to be bringing my 5 yr old grandaughter to the beach at that time.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:30 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by afntrn56 View Post
Marquette MI Maybe if you are an Eskimo and love cold and snow. The winter can start there in September and end in June if you are lucky!!! I lived in Houghton MI for 6 years and it is no picnic. I will say that it is beautiful and the air is pure and invigorating but no thanks to all that snow and cold. If you like winter though it would be fine!
Every place has it's trade offs. I wouldn't choose Marquette, but the parts of MI along Lake Michigan especially further north, are just beautiful in summer. Mackinac, Charlevoix, Traverse City, Harbor Springs, etc. - but winter is brutal indeed.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:17 PM   #91
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by check6 View Post
We do enjoy the park system in Minneapolis. I have been planning to buy a pair of snow shoes, but there are no snow on the ground. The weather has been unseasonably mild this winter.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #92
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallygator69 View Post

See ya,

W
Agreed. When the DW and I retire NMB, mostly Cherry Grove is where we plan on going. We vacation there every summer and have almost called it home. Even went as far to book an extra vacation at Tidewater Golf Club to see how life would be!
Still want to visit the Savannah area again. But I feel we'll end up in Cherry Grove.

Cheers!
Cassius King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #93
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just hit 9 months in retirement. Like not working. Lots of second thoughts though. Kind of wish I had take a little better look at Boise. Probably could have golfed/biked a lot of the winter there. Even still wondering if we should have stayed in the UK.....even with the weather.
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #94
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
Just hit 9 months in retirement. Like not working. Lots of second thoughts though. Kind of wish I had take a little better look at Boise. Probably could have golfed/biked a lot of the winter there. Even still wondering if we should have stayed in the UK.....even with the weather.
Well, you could always spend some time in each place over the next few years (especially Boise) and make up your mind, right? You have your whole life in front of you. I have heard that Boise is really nice, and since you have already lived in the UK then you know the plusses and minuses of living there very well.

We cancelled our plans to move to Springfield at the last minute, but the thought is still there. We'll think about it more for the next 5 years and we can always move up there at that time, if we want to. And if we still don't know after 5 years, we can wait another 5. Nothing has to be permanent.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:58 PM   #95
Dryer sheet wannabe

Send a message via Skype™ to MuzikLvr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassius King
Agreed. When the DW and I retire NMB, mostly Cherry Grove is where we plan on going. We vacation there every summer and have almost called it home. Even went as far to book an extra vacation at Tidewater Golf Club to see how life would be!
Still want to visit the Savannah area again. But I feel we'll end up in Cherry Grove.

Cheers!
Can you share how the weather is year round. I've been once in may and it was very windy and breezy. Also, doesn't MB have merky waters?
MuzikLvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:07 PM   #96
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron
Another one of those lists. Some towns I've never seen before. Naturally, my town never makes the grade

25 Best Places to Retire - Marquette, Mich. (1) - CNNMoney

1. Marquette, Mich.
2. Cape Coral, Fla.
3. Boise, Idaho
4. Danville, Ky.
5. Weatherford, Texas
6. Southaven, Miss.
7. Pittsburgh, Pa.
8. Broken Arrow, Okla.
9. Lake Charles, La.
10. Winston-Salem, N.C.
11. St. Joseph, Mich.
12. Huntsville, Ala.
13. Clearwater, Fla.
14. Clarksville, Tenn.
15. Tucson, Ariz.
16. Austin, Texas
17. Bloomington, Ind.
18. Lawrence, Kan.
19. Spokane, Wash.
20. Columbia, S.C.
21. Albuquerque, N.M.
22. Marietta, Ga.
23. Iowa City, Iowa
24. Conway, Ark.
25. Georgetown, Texas
Oh my. #12 Huntsville, AL. I lived here and had a business back in 2002. It the home of Redstone Arsenals - Army. Unique Alabama city not like the cities in the stay. I own a home there and the economy hasn't hurt it much compare o most other cities. It's definitely a family town. Interesting.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:13 PM   #97
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99
Best "Place" to retire?

To our RV, traveling the US and Canada, satisfying our wanderlust.

At the same time we'll be taking notes on 'the best place for us' should we decide one day that we want a more traditional residence.
I want to do this, but honestly, I want to bill, maintenance, insurance, tire-buying, oil changing free. Lol. I want to live all around the world 3-4 months st a timer until I find that place to stay for a longer period of time. However, when I'm done doing that, i'd drive against the bad weather in an RV and stating on bases that are located on the ocean, FL, LA, TX, VA, CA, etc.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:16 PM   #98
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
The state analyzed the census data and came up with a "startling" conclusion:
Report: Hawaii has nation's most-expensive rent, houses - Pacific Business News
I'm from Los Angeles and as much as I would love to go home..... I cant afford it. I'd be one of those living under a bridge.. j/k
Old 03-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #99
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2Bfree
Wow, I work in Marietta, Ga., No. 22 on the list. And I had a Marietta address for 18 years, though I now live in Atlanta. Marietta is nice enough, I suppose, but there are a lot of places I would expect to see listed ahead of it. It's not where I will retire to.
I agree. I'm in Lawrenceville right now and hate the landlock, but love my home. I'm suffocating. If rather be out traveling the unknown. Lol
Old 03-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #100
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerM
I always look at these type of lists with a skeptical eye. There are many factors with expat living that make a list like this useless without factoring personal tolerances and flexibility (or lack of).

For most of us I think the best first decision is to first ask:

1. What are you seeking really by planning to retire overseas? If it is perceived lower costs, remember that may be true only if you ( and your spouse) are willing to accept much higher convenience costs.

2. If it is for the experience and adventure - good for you! However I suggest you start with identifying a continent of preference and reviewing the common issues there before being overly concerned about a specific country on a list. For example, if central Europe how will your U.S. Dollar retirement fare in Euro-land? If South America or Asia, how patient are you with inefficiencies?

3. Don't underestimate the importance of knowing the local language. If someone tells you it is not required, don't buy it unless you want to live in somewhat isolation and forgo much of the richness of the people and culture.

4. Travel and rent first always, several month minimum in any place you are seriously considering. Use the time to seriously evaluate your personal aggravation factor, experiences with local food shopping, medical, and true security issues (on security do not believe what you read, it can easily be much better or worse than outward appearances!)

5. If either of you have any somewhat serious medical needs, don't go. Medical care is really better in the States than the majority of places in the world, including Europe or the UK.

Remember that there is a big difference between those expats living overseas for work, and those retired. The former (in fair disclosure I am one of these) have a built-in support structure, the latter do not. Big difference. Don't be discouraged, just careful!
Thank you. This is what and how I've been evaluating. Especially the medical.

May I ask what country are you in?