Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-27-2020, 04:44 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My father wasn't handy at all, so I have been learning throughout life. Reasonable now, but nothing great.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2020, 05:03 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I had a similar upbringing/experience. My father was an electrician and did side jobs on the weekends for "beer money". The first dollar I earned was at the age of five pulling cable in a crawl space he couldn't fit in, by ten I was wiring electrical outlets (under close supervision of course) doing plumbing jobs and by 14 was helping to overhaul car engines. It wasn't until I started working in a gas/service station in HS that I realized how unusual that exposure to tools and "fixing stuff" was.
Dear Walt, your story of being in the crawl space reminded me.

Many years ago, I was helping my cousin rebuild a 1947 Stinson (single engine aircraft). I had to rewire the entire aircraft, and had to run a wire down the tail cone and out the back for the rear position light. I told my 5 year old son about midgets bucking rivets during WW2, and sent him down the tail with the wire.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Beware of Ageism
Old 07-27-2020, 05:23 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Beware of Ageism

Our dryer had stopped working and my wife was desperate to get something dry ASAP!

I tried the knobs, buttons and other controls, checked the circuit breaker and plug and could find nothing obvious. I started to close the dryer door and I noticed something odd. The interior light was staying on with the door nearly closed. Normally, it turns off a split second before full closure. The door switch! Sure enough the door switch was broken in the door open position which stopped all dryer functions. A bit of tape held it in place long enough to get her wash dried.

Later she asked me how I managed to figure it out. “Is there some secret stuff dads teach only to their sons?”
Old 07-27-2020, 06:03 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

"If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy"
- Red Green
zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:36 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

That is the sort of clever, money-saving "hack" that frugal parents may not necessarily teach their kids, but which a little girl or boy can observe if they are interested...it teaches us to try just one more thing before giving up and calling the repair-person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Our dryer had stopped working and my wife was desperate to get something dry ASAP!

I tried the knobs, buttons and other controls, checked the circuit breaker and plug and could find nothing obvious. I started to close the dryer door and I noticed something odd. The interior light was staying on with the door nearly closed. Normally, it turns off a split second before full closure. The door switch! Sure enough the door switch was broken in the door open position which stopped all dryer functions. A bit of tape held it in place long enough to get her wash dried.

Later she asked me how I managed to figure it out. “Is there some secret stuff dads teach only to their sons?”
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:39 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

After I watched the a/c guy use my shop-vac to clean out the drain pipe on an outside unit that had stopped working, I tried it for myself when the same thing happened again 6 months later, and the unit started working again.

I mentioned this during the semiannual a/c inspection, and got a compliment for being so smart! Now, I wonder if a man would have gotten the same compliment?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:22 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
After I watched the a/c guy use my shop-vac to clean out the drain pipe on an outside unit that had stopped working, I tried it for myself when the same thing happened again 6 months later, and the unit started working again.

I mentioned this during the semiannual a/c inspection, and got a compliment for being so smart! Now, I wonder if a man would have gotten the same compliment?
That's not sexism, that's salesism.
Old 07-27-2020, 07:41 PM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedd View Post
"If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy"
- Red Green
I think that's how I caught a bride!
Old 07-27-2020, 10:34 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

As a member of this illustrious group you must be smart. Take it at face value.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:28 PM   #70

Quote:
As a long-ago former A/C service tech I can assure you that most guys are not that observant either.

Tags
ageism