Join Early Retirement Today

Big change coming for us
Old 02-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Big change coming for us

DW had her retirement luncheon yesterday; Friday's her last day. She's stressing about getting her replacement up to speed before she leaves.

I'm very proud of her and glad that she's able to do it at 56 yo; I er'd 6 yrs ago at 58.

But... I have to confess to a little bit of nervousness about what this radical change will mean for us. I have no reason to think it will be anything but all good, but it will certainly be different!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBOT View Post
DW had her retirement luncheon yesterday; Friday's her last day. She's stressing about getting her replacement up to speed before she leaves.
Very nice. She must have had enough good experiences with her employer to be concerned about not leaving them hanging out to dry with an inadequately trained replacement. I'm past the point about caring about that, personally!

Best of luck and enjoy your retirement together!
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:27 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

That is fantastic! Congrats to your DW.

We had a fairly rough adjustment period with us both being home. Some of it was probably due to the fact that I traveled quite a bit for work so the new found togetherness took some time to adjust to.

Enjoy!
JBmadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I'm very proud of her and glad that she's able to do it at 56 yo; I er'd 6 yrs ago at 58.

But... I have to confess to a little bit of nervousness about what this radical change will mean for us. I have no reason to think it will be anything but all good, but it will certainly be different!
1) Remind her that getting her replacement up to speed is not HER issue. Assuming mgmt knew the retirement was pending, it was their responsibility.

2) You are right. Different, and hopefully good. If you already have a good relationship it will be better.

ENJOY!!!!!!
Original Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Putting on my Karnac hat, I predict that in no time concerns about training a replcement will fade. Other concerns may arise but those should pass forver.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWeinel View Post
1)....... Assuming mgmt knew the retirement was pending, it was their responsibility.
+1

If it's a small family co, then I can understand her feelings. If it's a megacorp or gov't shop, then I say do your best until Friday then forget about it. People leave j@bs all the time, and megacorp don't stress over folks who they lay off/down size
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am sure some folks adapt to being together more with ease, and we've all read stories of others who have serious trouble with 'honey, I'm home - for good!' I know one couple, and their are undoubtedly others, who basically lived separate lives - but it worked for them.

You can make it work, there are probably lots of good articles on the topic, it's a common concern...here's two short ones. Best of luck...

Satisfying Retirement: Adjusting to Retirement: Being Together Full Time

"Honey, I'm Home!" - For Good: The Transition to Retirement, HYG-5159-96

We wish you both all the best!

And I applaud your DW for her efforts to ease the transition to a successor at her soon to be former employer, it's the decent thing to do no matter what the situation (your conscience is far more important in the long run than "getting even" with an employer, even a bad one). Folks who recommend otherwise when they obviously can't know the specific situation are (I'll be kind and say) being arbitrary...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #8

Quote:
She's stressing about getting her replacement up to speed before she leaves.
Congratulations!

One thing I have never understood is caring about a replacement, or the "Should I give only one year notice, or five years?" debate. Most of the time I believe this is inflation of self-worth, but I am sure there are instances where this is not the case.

Consider the case of a manager who has an employee (or employees) that cannot be replaced. Isn't that kindof hanging it out there?

I suppose there are some employers that do care about their employees, but I never had the privilege of w*rking for any of them.

Anyway, I am wishing you both a nice retirement.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #9

Everyone is replacible, don't worry about what your employer will do when you are gone. They will be fine without you.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #10

Congratulations on the dual ERs ! Before you know it you'll find a newfound pace for your relationship. I wish you all the best. And kudos to your wife for being a model employee !
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:30 AM   #11
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
Everyone is replacible, don't worry about what your employer will do when you are gone. They will be fine without you.
+1
HighRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:41 AM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
Congratulations on the dual ERs ! Before you know it you'll find a newfound pace for your relationship. I wish you all the best. And kudos to your wife for being a model employee !
+2
Old 02-22-2013, 07:46 AM   #13
gone traveling

Congrats, in my mind ER doesn't truely begin until both spouses are retired.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the comments & kind words. Today's the day!
As she went out the door we exchanged a look ---"wow".

She slept poorly last night, thinking about loose ends she needs/wants to deal with today. She's just that type. She rose from a mostly clerical position to handling arcane technical & financial stuff that no-one else understands, & wants to make sure her replacement is not left out to sea.

As I said, I'm proud of her.

Onward!