Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Big City to Small Town: Experiences
Old 07-29-2006, 08:35 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hindsight being 20/20 - I was brainwashed in youth.

Coming of age in the late 50's/early 60's with the Beach Boys et al - da burbs.

Seem to be most comfortable - where I can drive to the 'big city' or 'to the country'.

Although a fish camp over Lake Ponchartrain (1979 - 2005) wasn't everyone's vision of suburbia.

heh heh heh heh
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2006, 09:15 AM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennevis
Nords, I listed the "culture" stuff in Pittsburgh.* *Here's what I do and see:
symphony, opera, football, baseball, malls, restaurants, science museum, golf courses, mountains, Kennywood amusement park (do you remember Kennywood?) - all done recently.
Well, I've done all those things (except opera) but I just haven't found any reason to do them in the last couple decades.

I do enjoy science museums like Buhl Planetarium. Yet even around here we just haven't found a reason to spend any time at Bishop Museum's exhibits in the last couple years.

And my good 2nd grade buddy, Phil Stoll, named the Kennywood rollercoaster (the Thunderbolt) which earned him lifetime admission and made him everybody's good buddy...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 10:00 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

There's some undeniable witchcraft about large cities. It's noisy and crowded and busy but that's all made up for by the fact that the noise and crowds and busy are there to put everything at your fingertips. I love being in big cities, the ability to walk out the door and find, within 5 minutes walk, twenty different kinds of ethnic food, entertainment, shopping. Maybe a short cab ride to opera or theatre or a movie.

I don't live in a city now. I'm on a little island, population 10k. Piss poor restaurant selection, so we cook a lot ourselves (my wife has just managed to duplicate moules poulette a la the Jubilee on E 54th in NYC, so I am in heaven!) It's an artsy fartsy place, so there's no lack of culture, even if it isn't up to New York standards. UPS brings almost anything to the door. Peace and quiet, good friendly helpful neighbors. It's got limitations, you make your own stimulation, and if you really need a fix, well, that's what plane tickets are for.

What I don't get is suburbia. I just don't get it. It has none of the advantages of either of the above and IMO all of the disadvantages.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:26 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfs
I don't live in a city now.* I'm on a little island, population 10k.* Piss poor restaurant selection, so we cook a lot ourselves (my wife has just managed to duplicate moules poulette a la the Jubilee on E 54th in NYC, so I am in heaven!)* It's an artsy fartsy place, so there's no lack of culture, even if it isn't up to New York standards.* UPS brings almost anything to the door.* Peace and quiet, good friendly helpful neighbors.* It's got limitations, you make your own stimulation, and if you really need a fix, well, that's what plane tickets are for.

What I don't get is suburbia.* I just don't get it.* It has none of the advantages of either of the above and IMO all of the disadvantages.
Oh do I remember your island, 50 years ago I was one of a group of teenage girls on a sailboat that tied up on your dock. It didn't take long to get the attention of the locals. Had was a great time!

Old 07-30-2006, 12:02 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfs
I love being in big cities, the ability to walk out the door and find, within 5 minutes walk, twenty different kinds of ethnic food, entertainment, shopping.* Maybe a short cab ride to opera or theatre or a movie.
It all depends on what kind of "culture" you are after. I don't eat out, so ethnic food is of no interest to me. I don't shop except when I need new shirts, pants, ant killer stuff and such, and K-Mart/Home Depot/WalMart have them in spades. The kind of "culture" that I consume consists mostly of old books and old movies, which are much easier to find on the Internet/cable TV than in person.

Why would I bother with Video Vault in Alexandria, VA (or their 800 service) when we have Netflix, TCM and FMC now? Why go to Strand, when you can find vastly better selection at lower prices without leaving your home? Why spend time and money on opera houses when all the classical music that I could possibly want (which isn't saying much) is on the internet/CDs?

Granted, if my definition of "culture" included museums or live theater/opera, then it would be a different story.
Scrooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 12:41 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Probably attend the theatre once every couple of years. Never been to an opera or ballet; might someday just to say I did it. Nothing special about the museums in DFW; couple of nice art museums, but a third-class science museum... Do enjoy the variety of live music, mostly in smaller venues. Like having variety of restaurants...

I could live without most of these items, and just drive to the city when the urge struck...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 12:56 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrooge

Granted, if my definition of "culture" included museums or live theater/opera, then it would be a different story.
Unless you are really rich, a lot of theater, all opera, even well known jazz club acts are too expensive for a retired person. I think they are very appealing, and I am glad I had a lot of all that, but it costs a lot now.

My wife sometimes gets symphony or opera freebies, which area nice treat. She even invites me along on occasion!

To me, the main good thing about a city is all the night life, dance classes, opportunities to participate in drum circles, dance groups, whatever you might like. These are usually not particularly expensive, although it can add up over time. Also museums, which fequently have a free day once a week or so; or senior pricing on some days.

I enjoy moderately chaotic street life too. If it gets too freaky I want to be gone quick. I've seen too many of these nut cases go over the edge to be completely comfortable.

For years I was willing to drive to get this, but now I think it would be* lot easier to be local. Long drives well after midnight are getting freaky for me. And since a lot of things really don’t get started until 10PM or so, it runs late. I suppose I could just admit that I am getting up there, and find other interests, but – not quite yet.*

Ha
Old 08-08-2006, 08:30 PM   #68
gone traveling

What is really funny I lived near NYC for 50 years and only drove past the empire state building, never was in it never went to the statue of liberty kayaked around it a few times.

I did eat at the destroyed WTC a few times though.

I am sure the destruction which I witnessed with my eyes that day has something to do with my move away from the NYC area.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 01:31 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

When we were in our late 20s and early 30s we did a lot of the "culture" stuff - symphony, ballet, dance, plays, jazz concerts, famous musician concerts.

But a funny thing happened.....

By our late 30s, we had quit doing any of that stuff. We didn't like going out at night anymore. Dressing up lost it's appeal. We were more interested in avoiding crowds. We became outdoors people and did all our fun stuff in the day time. Hiking, birdwatching, exploring the outdoors, etc.

This is still true today. We couldn't care less about attending a "cultural" event, although we'll visit a museum now and then if it happens to be convenient. Nature provides enough of a "show" that substitutes for the human-created stuff.

Lots of nice restaurants and great grocery stores (like Whole Foods) were the main benefits of living in a larger city by the time we left. Now while we travel, we have access to good restaurants now and then. Top of the line grocery stores are not quite as accessible, but we occasional get near one and stock up.

Don't miss the big city. Really don't miss suburbia. Suburbia was depressing - yech!

We like being out in the boonies most of the time - prefer it.

Audrey
Old 08-14-2006, 08:10 PM   #70
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfs

What I don't get is suburbia. I just don't get it. It has none of the advantages of either of the above and IMO all of the disadvantages.

Wow, nfs, and I thought that I was the only one who thought that. For me, it's either give me the Rocky Mountains or NYC/DC. The in between stuff is just not worth it. Tried it for 5 years in a Philly suburb. It had all of the traffic of a big city but none of the culture and none of the excitement. It had all of the boredom of a small town but none of wide open country roads and big mountains on which ride my bike for hours on end. The skiing was a joke. I couldn't believe that I had pay $45 to ski on a little hill that I can finish in 2 minutes.
Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:50 PM   #71
Confused about dryer sheets

NYC Guy,
Have you considered moving to a smaller city that offers some of what you enjoy in NYC and with direct flights to NYC?
Raleigh, NC is a college town, on the off broadway circuit.
We have our own symphony.
We have several amphitheaters that bring in a variety of artist.
We are in the middle of 3 large universities with very competitive sports teams in football and basketball.
We have a pro hockey team that won the Stanley Cup last season.
We are 1.5 hours from the beach, 4 hours from the mountains, on a direct flight to NYC and other major cities.
We have 4 seasons although sometimes our winters are just chilly.
We have several resturants that are owned by NYers that have moved south.
Our area has a diversity of people from all over the world and country.
Our downtown is growing and offering downtown condo living.
Raleigh and Cary have made Forbes list of best places to live and raise a family!

Raleigh is the smallest suburban area I have lived in. I came here for college and never looked back.....I love to help people settle in Raleigh.
Good luck in your decision...NYC is a great place (my Dad was born and raised in the Bronx)
southern transplant is offline   Reply With Quote