Join Early Retirement Today

Bittersweet lunch with former coworker
Old 10-31-2008, 06:47 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Bittersweet lunch with former coworker

Today I had lunch with a former coworker. It was great to see him and hear about my work family. As he described the current environment I momentarily felt the old stress wash over me. I was taken aback that after two years just hearing about it could have that effect.

So tonight I am both happy to have retired and sad that my friends have not been as lucky as I.
FurBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2008, 07:04 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The stress was aptly described to me by a co-worker as taking a sleeping pill and drinking Red Bull at the same time. It's nuts.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:33 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had a similar encounter this week. I attended a retirement reception Wednesday afternoon for an old coworker. I met many of my old coworkers and had a good time.

This morning I got an email with a list of nine names of people that were let go yesterday. All of them I knew and three of them I had talked with Wednesday afternoon.

That brings the total to 12 since the first of the year in a group that numbered about 80 a year ago. And these people were not slackers by any stretch of the imagination. Some had 15 years of service.

It's starting to get ugly.
Old 11-01-2008, 01:35 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just READING about this makes me stressed!

While I was working I felt like I was good friends with my colleagues, but after the first year or so of being away from the US and a couple rounds of e-mails, I just feel no need to contact them any more (nor they me). When I go back for visits with family and other friends.. I really have no desire to check in at my old office or see my old business partners. I feel sort of guilty about it since we shared most of our days continuously for years. It's also hard to initiate contact after such a long hiatus...
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 02:15 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Next week will be interesting for me. I mentioned in another thread that I had been asked to return for a short term project. One or two weeks. So sometime next week I will go in and have a refresher course on what it is like to work again. This will be a breeze knowing that it is just for a few days. But I'm sure I will be reminded why I retired.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:29 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I haven't w*rked in quite a while, but I do remember the queasy feeling I had when school would start in the fall. Even though I did not have to go back, just the thought gave me the heebie jeebies...this went on for years.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:39 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Yeah the occasional "WTF I went back to work! How did this happen?!?!" nightmares lasted at least 5 years.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 02:46 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I've had those nightmares too. I wake up in a cold sweat. The frequency decreased dramatically after the first few months. Now they are just occasional.
FurBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:27 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had a reminder yesterday after an unusually contentious HOA board meeting and subsequent call to our now-fired landscaper. My stomach churned for hours.

Even though my kids throw righteous tantrums on occasion, there's no political maneuvering at home. So nice.