Black Friday

We bought some Cheesecake Factory gift cards for holiday gifts. For every $25 in gift cards you buy, you get 2 gift certificates for a free slice of cheesecake.

We bought some Cheesecake Factory gift cards for holiday gifts. For every $25 in gift cards you buy, you get 2 gift certificates for a free slice of cheesecake.

and those slices are huge! we stop at the CF when traveling and usually share a slice with strawberries on top.

Well I wasn't going to get anything but I decided to look at Costco online and they had an offer to get $350 gift card on a $3000 purchase and that got me thinking... not always a good thing. Bought a new computer earlier this month that was $250 off at the time. Today $400 off. Had been waiting to by some Arlo cameras and the system was $250 off. Finally, I had been wanting to get automatic defibrillator for the cottage... $350 off and that put me just over the $3000 mark. Best laid plans but part of the money had been already spent and the rest was planned, although not essential, spending.

One tradition I’ve had going on about 10 to 15 years now is to be at Home Depot when they open on Friday. They have poinsettias for $1, limit 12. If you’re there early and near the front of the line you might even get some of the white ones. Either way, 12 plants spread around the house and a few to friends was a good tradition. I’m wondering if the poinsettias will still be there, but they are not advertised in their paper. I don’t think I’ll go there this year to find out, but I’m curious.

They have big ones too!

One tradition I’ve had going on about 10 to 15 years now is to be at Home Depot when they open on Friday. They have poinsettias for $1, limit 12. If you’re there early and near the front of the line you might even get some of the white ones. Either way, 12 plants spread around the house and a few to friends was a good tradition. I’m wondering if the poinsettias will still be there, but they are not advertised in their paper. I don’t think I’ll go there this year to find out, but I’m curious.
We used to head to visit friends in Florida for a few days over Thanksgiving and other than the big dinner and football on Thursday, the Friday morning trip to Home Depot for the $1 poinsettias was always a thing.

Apparently there weren't as many shoppers as usual for Black Friday here in New Orleans.

"Today was not as busy as in previous Black Fridays, but traffic was strong," said Erin Graham, spokesperson for Lakeside, the region's largest mall with about 1 million square feet of retail space. "We had little to no issue with customers complying with the face mask mandate, and overall it was a good day."

I didn't go shopping in person, and I didn't find anything online that I wanted either; oh well! :)

The family has become small over the years and buying gifts for the holidays is no longer an issue. We will gift the maximum money for the 2 grown children to enjoy and make their life easier. That pleases us but that is the extent of gift giving other than a larger than usual donation to animal rescues. I like surprising my wife but she has most everything she wants. There isn't much of anything that I would like to have either that is possible at the moment. But when it is safe for us to travel again we will be using the money for that. Experiences are more important for us than more things.

Cheers1

Jockey underwear and socks for 40% off. It's our yearly renewal of the sock and undie drawers.

An artisanal chocolate treat for 50% off (which is still expensive. In a million years I wouldn't pay the full price, but I did send a separate order to my sister, who loves such things). Incidentally, this was an example of successful FB marketing. www.elementstruffles.com

I have not yet found any good deals on clothing that we need. Probably because we need T-shirts and shorts, and most retailers are getting rid of cold-weather clothing.

A Dyson Cyclone Animal cordless stick vacuum, $330 at BJs instead of $500+ elsewhere.

Glass Eye Studios has some 50% off handmade glassware - I bought two votives (I put battery tealights in them). Shipping is a bit steep, but they do a great job of wrapping up their glassware. www.glasseyestudios.coom

I bought some model train lighting accessories that I was planning to get anyway. $20 off with $100 or more spent. Stuff was about 10% cheaper at another site, so it was more like 10% off with this deal.

I went to Menards for a flag light bulb Friday am. Not as many shoppers as I expected.

Now I'm scoping out tool chests on Gerstner's site. 40% off through the weekend. I need some restraint.

A new tripod from Feisol at 15% off.

I posted that I wasn't going to buy anything, but ended up buying a Christmas gift for my DD - a Eufy camera doorbell for $50 off retail.

A $100,000 TV??
That's just plain crazy.
Yeah, but just look at how much you are saving!!! Where you could ever find another TV where you save $50K? You could buy a car with those savings!

Might be a flaw in that thinking though...

Haven't even looked for a deal to buy - don't need anymore crap.

Same here. Could not even bother looking for something on sale that I do not need.

Ended up getting some AirPod Pros at Costco for $170. Happy with that. I have some noise isolating wired earphones, but I thought I’d like some noise canceling earphones so I’ll try these. I’d rather have the BOSE headphones, but my anatomy rebels against having any pressure where the headphones rest around the ear so I’m stuck with earphones. Hope I like them.

Ended up getting some AirPod Pros at Costco for $170. Happy with that. I have some noise isolating wired earphones, but I thought I’d like some noise canceling earphones so I’ll try these. I’d rather have the BOSE headphones, but my anatomy rebels against having any pressure where the headphones rest around the ear so I’m stuck with earphones. Hope I like them.

You'll love them.
I bought a pair in March. I've used Bose noise canceling headphones many times on airplanes and liked them, but tried these on a flight this summer. Hardly any difference at all -- these are fantastic!
They're also a tenth the weight and a small fraction of the bulk, so I'm an extremely happy camper with my Airpod Pros.

Apple has a Black Friday / Cyber Monday sale on with gift cards instead of discounts. I’ve been waiting for this and bought the Apple TV 4k. Still pricey but much less so. :)

No issue with the gift card instead of discount, that’ll soon be spent.

Still love my Bose QC35's but I got a free pair of AirPod Pros when I bought an iPad for distance teaching in the fall and am impressed by them. Best feature is ability to adjust balance. My deaf right ear can hear again!

I have saved an awful lot of money over the years by not bothering with shopping malls, boxing day sales, black friday sales, 50/60/70 percent off sales...you name it.

It probably contributed to our ability to retire early.

Back
Top Bottom