Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 10:06 PM   #881
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's not the money, but carrying all this camera equipment on a vacation seems extreme unless one is really into photography.

And if you are, when traveling with other people, will you not be holding them up while you swap lenses and keep trying to get that perfect shot of something?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2018, 10:39 PM   #882
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Didn't see the original post, but on long trips & backpacking, I use a Panasonic 4/3 (Lumix GX1 which is now dated) with a pancake 14mm lens as a default (which with camera is barely bigger than a big cell phone) as well as a 42-150 zoom in the backpack for longer shots which I rarely use. Great combination and doesn't require much additional space (essentially the zoom).

You double 4/3 lens for the lens equivalent of full frames lenses like for the Canons/Nikons but a 4/3 camera and lense take about 1/3 of the space, at the expense of low-light shooting.

I can put the GX1 with the pancake easily in my coat pocket or less easily in my front pants pocket.

YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
It's not the money, but carrying all this camera equipment on a vacation seems extreme unless one is really into photography.

And if you are, when traveling with other people, will you not be holding them up while you swap lenses and keep trying to get that perfect shot of something?
Old 10-27-2018, 10:43 PM   #883

I'm looking at some point to replace the GX1 with the GX-85 when they get further discounted (flex screen, better low light shooting, great video), but I can still use the lenses.

Maybe when I can get one for $350.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:52 AM   #884
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am not a photographer, but have a thing for camera :-). We went to Utah big five Nation Parks in August with my Canon 50D and 24-70mm lens (they are heavy), and hiked on average 8-12 miles a day. This time with a much smaller and lighter camera, I think we will be okay.
The plan is to keep the 15-45mm lens on the camera during the day, and outdoor and only switch lens for night time or inside (low light condition). Plus I always want to get those pancake lens 24mm and 40mm, get them now and say preparing for the trip would get an easy approval from my CFO :-)
Old 10-28-2018, 06:22 AM   #885
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neihn View Post
I am not a photographer, but have a thing for camera :-). We went to Utah big five Nation Parks in August with my Canon 50D and 24-70mm lens (they are heavy), and hiked on average 8-12 miles a day. This time with a much smaller and lighter camera, I think we will be okay.
The plan is to keep the 15-45mm lens on the camera during the day, and outdoor and only switch lens for night time or inside (low light condition). Plus I always want to get those pancake lens 24mm and 40mm, get them now and say preparing for the trip would get an easy approval from my CFO :-)
I'm not an accomplished photographer but I like to create a photo album from each of our trips - particularly bike trips. I like to hang my camera around my neck while riding so I compromised with a Canon G11, a compact camera with an optical viewfinder which is good for outdoors bring light. I recently joined a Kickstarter project for a camera/binoculars holding harness that seems like it will make holding the camera more comfortable than a strap around the neck. It feels quite comfortable and is easy to lock and unlock the camera. I am tempted to get a slight larger mirrorless camera or an SLR with this rig.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:26 AM   #886
Give me a forum ...

I signed up for two VBT bike tours one to the Sonoran Desert in March and one to the Dolomites in Italy in September. The trips aren't the blow that dough expense, the air travel is. For Tuscon we have to fly on our own so we used CC miles for first class. The trip to Italy (actually starts in Innsbrucke) includes airfare but we popped for business class. Can't take it with you.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:30 AM   #887
Recycles dryer sheets

We’ve loved our VBT bike trips. Have fun.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:49 AM   #888
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I have ditched most of my DLSR equipment for a Canon with a f 1.8 24-100mm equivalent camera that I ca carry just about everywhere. It has a 1 inch sensor that gives me very good 16x20 enlargements. It’s greatest feature for most vacation travel is that it is nearly always with me.

I use my DSLR when I travel by car and photos are the #1 priority.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:53 AM   #889
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I recently joined a Kickstarter project for a camera/binoculars holding harness that seems like it will make holding the camera more comfortable than a strap around the neck. It feels quite comfortable and is easy to lock and unlock the camera. I am tempted to get a slight larger mirrorless camera or an SLR with this rig.
Wow, looks like a very nice strap. Regarding compact mirrorless camera, check out Canon M50 ( not too expensive, and very capable and a nice EVF)
Old 10-28-2018, 06:57 AM   #890
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I have ditched most of my DLSR equipment for a Canon with a f 1.8 24-100mm equivalent camera that I ca carry just about everywhere. It has a 1 inch sensor that gives me very good 16x20 enlargements. It’s greatest feature for most vacation travel is that it is nearly always with me.

I use my DSLR when I travel by car and photos are the #1 priority.
Which Canon is that. I may get a new one this year and am interested in compromises that take excellent pictures without excessive weight. For the last ten years or so I have gone with an optical viewfinder in addition to the screen but I suspect that newer cameras may have brighter screens that are decent in bright light.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:40 AM   #891
Recycles dryer sheets

Upgrade my camera as well. Sold all my Canon gear that served me well in my profession but want a more compact system for traveling. I bought a Lumix G9 with two Leica lenses, the 12-60 and 50-200. Will put them through the test on our safari and Alaskan trip next year.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:23 AM   #892
gone traveling

My first real retirement gift to myself was a new camera outfit: Canon 80D plus the new 100-400 II plus the 1.4 teleconverter. Now, as I am sure many of you will understand, I am reluctant to spend the money to travel to use it (I do bird photography)... :-)
Old 10-28-2018, 11:37 AM   #893

New contract on spec home for $727k. Should be no inspection issues this time
Old 10-28-2018, 12:44 PM   #894
Give me a forum ...

Congrats on saving yourself almost $300K compared to the previous home.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 10-28-2018, 01:13 PM   #895

I just bought a Lumix G7 camera with the 14-42mm kit lens and a 45-150mm lens both at a fraction of the cost of one of my Canon lens. It's much more compact and I shoot 4K video these days more than photos. It works well with my Crane stabilizer for nice and smooth videos. The video quality is incredible considering the price. I was disappointed that Canon has yet to release a new more compact 4K DSLR body that can accept EF lenses.

For travel I use a Lowepro Computrekker camera backpack. It has enough room to carry my Canon DSLR, my Yi 4k action camera and stabilizer, this new Lumix G7 and Crane stabilizer, extra lenses, batteries, wife's Nintendo game, laptop or tablet, noise cancelling headphones. I carry a smaller camera backpack in our luggage for day trips and only take equipment suitable for the activity we are doing that day.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:53 PM   #896

Quote:
Congrats on saving yourself almost $300K compared to the previous home.
He did not save a dime. Pool, landscaping, interior decoration will make up the difference!

OP: Be sure to have an inspection done. New builds have have their share of issues.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:01 PM   #897

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
He did not save a dime. Pool, landscaping, interior decoration will make up the difference!

OP: Be sure to have an inspection done. New builds have have their share of issues.
Wife has already asked for budget for window coverings, new furniture, pool and landscaping. Hopefully won't cost $300k, but I did budget $100k.

I'll wait for the inspection once I get close to the end of the 1 year builder's warranty. Then they can fix everything I missed.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:42 PM   #898

Corn18, you might consider hiring an inspector to review the house as they build. I did that and my inspector found things that were able to be corrected before it got too late. Just a thought.

One of the things that was corrected in my house were gaps in the heating and A/C ducts. My inspector checked before they wrapped with insulation and I was able to call and have them fixed before the insulation was wrapped and the ceiling added. Stuff that you wouldn't know was a problem, even at the 1 year mark.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:06 PM   #899
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
or the guys who go around buying more cars than they have hands to drive them.
Now wait a minute, let's not go too far with all this want vs needs stuff. But I do promise to keep both hands on the wheel (most of the time) and only drive one car at a time.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:45 PM   #900
Moderator Emeritus

Blowing lots of dough at the moment (though not all on fun stuff). I am shopping for a new 1-bedroom condo (probably around $300K) and a new car (up to $40K).
Closed Thread