Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-19-2019, 12:09 AM   #341
Recycles dryer sheets

IMG_2120.JPG

Promised my wife this will be my last toy right before retirement. 2019 Targa 4GTS....OTD 182K.
targatom2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2019, 12:13 AM   #342
Recycles dryer sheets

And here is my other toy before the Porsche but after July 5th, I must learn to live on $60k per year. Off-shore fishing boat IMG_2604.JPG
Old 06-19-2019, 05:30 AM   #343
Moderator Emeritus

Not a lot of dough, but just ordered another Tilley hat. My third.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:37 AM   #344
gone traveling

I'm modding up an old (rust free) 1996 F150 for daily use during the Winter;
-tinted windows
-new stereo/speakers
-new truck bed liner
-fixing the front suspension
-full tune up including belts, hoses, plugs/wires, cap/rotor, fluids, and filters
-new brighter headlights, and fog lights
-steering wheel, and dash covers
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:50 AM   #345
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipertom1970 View Post
And here is my other toy before the Porsche but after July 5th, I must learn to live on $60k per year. Off-shore fishing boat Attachment 31886
Thinking you might have a problem with the $60k figure. Gas, insurance, tags and other incidentals for the toys might have you living under a bridge dining on cat food on that income.
Another Reader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:57 AM   #346

Love my Tilley hat too! Have had it for almost two decades, so no excuse to Blow Dough. Did Blow Dough on a new smartphone though, although itís a model 3 years old.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:58 AM   #347

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Thinking you might have a problem with the $60k figure. Gas, insurance, tags and other incidentals for the toys might have you living under a bridge dining on cat food on that income.
This.... plus, while we can't tell much from the pics, the property taxes on your dwelling are probably not negligible either... BUT: you are correct, BLOW THAT DOUGH!
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:28 AM   #348
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife and I already did a monthly expense budget and it’ looks good on paper including associated costs for the new car but not the new boat. I am in SoCal and coworkers could not believe my yearly expenses is only 60k per year and no way we live on cat food. The key for me is zero debt but reality will kick in about two weeks.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:07 AM   #349
Recycles dryer sheets

i bought 7 more antique Harley Davidson motorcycles in the last month & a half for a bit over $103,000 blow that dough!
knucklehead 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:27 AM   #350
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1

I used to think I could live on that much. Well, I could if I had to. I am sure I could do it, if there was no other choice.

Thankfully, I have had another choice.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:49 AM   #351
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Break Out Another Thousand

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
+1

I used to think I could live on that much. Well, I could if I had to. I am sure I could do it, if there was no other choice.

I get by on less, and donít even eat cat food...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:03 AM   #352
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead 61 View Post
i bought 7 more antique Harley Davidson motorcycles in the last month & a half for a bit over $103,000 blow that dough!

Very nice!
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:13 AM   #353
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Quote:
+1

I get by on less, and don’t even eat cat food...
Me, too. I suppose a lot depends on whether or not that $60K has to cover a mortgage, car payments, travel, dependents, and so on.

As forum members have discussed many times on other threads, some people prefer to have a mortgage so that they don't lose "opportunity cost"; others like me would rather just have it paid and done with. So, that mortgage shows up in their annual spending.

Expenses of $60K/year would be pretty doggone lavish for a single, debt free, mortgage free non-traveler like me.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:42 AM   #354
Give me a forum ...

If you have a $200k car, your taste for other things like food and clothing may run well beyond $60k annual budget.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:57 AM   #355
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
I'm modding up an old (rust free) 1996 F150 for daily use during the Winter;
-tinted windows
-new stereo/speakers
-new truck bed liner
-fixing the front suspension
-full tune up including belts, hoses, plugs/wires, cap/rotor, fluids, and filters
-new brighter headlights, and fog lights
-steering wheel, and dash covers
Nice ! Here's my Gen 10 (1998) F150 Lariat with 49,000 miles on it.

1998 F150.jpg
Old 06-19-2019, 12:32 PM   #356
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I get by on less, and don’t even eat cat food...
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Expenses of $60K/year would be pretty doggone lavish for a single, debt free, mortgage free non-traveler like me.

I am sure that I would not be eating cat food if I cut down to $60K/year. Never said anybody would have to eat cat food on $60K, though some may have to because they mismanage their finance.

In fact, just looking at my Quicken screen, I can see that if I cut out gifts/charity, travel, and expenses of the 2nd home, put my motorhome on blocks, I can live fine on $60K and still eat filet, and lobster, and Dungeness crab, etc...

And still drink XO Cognac too, as I don't drink that much anymore, and also drink stuff like Bombay Sapphire which is a lot cheaper in comparison. And I still live in the comfort of my large home with AC, and surf the Web and chat with y'all just like I do now.

But that's because I have no fancy cars, boats, etc...
Old 06-23-2019, 11:52 PM   #357

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
If you have a $200k car, your taste for other things like food and clothing may run well beyond $60k annual budget.

Thatís what I would think. Donít know any Porsche and boat owners living on $60K in So CA. We donít have either and spend three times that.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Blowing that dough on travels!
Old 06-24-2019, 09:13 AM   #358
Dryer sheet wannabe

Blowing that dough on travels!

In the past month, I planned a trip to Edinburgh for April 2020. DH's plane ticket is with AA miles, mine is cash, and since we're so far in advance, I found a great-looking airbnb apartment (Edinburgh locals on TripAdvisor tell me they know the place and it's really nice). Next will be booking an Outlander tour during the trip, and planning restaurants.

We've already booked and paid for our annual Jamaica trip (we have spent my birthday in Negril for many years) but still need to book flights. For the first time, I'm looking at a non-loyalty airline (JetBlue) because AA has gotten so bad with delays and there's always a connection on that trip. If I have played my "CC Sign-up bonus" right, we should be able to do one paid + one award ticket.

There's so many places I want to go, or I have gone on my own for work and want to re-visit with DH now that he's retired. I can't think of any traveling that I felt like it wasn't money well-spent.
kwblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:29 AM   #359
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
That’s what I would think. Don’t know any Porsche and boat owners living on $60K in So CA. We don’t have either and spend three times that.
Wow $180,000 expense ! Your salary must be above $230,000 just to break even and I don’t even make 1/2 of that working.
Blow that dough on health and fitness!
Old 06-24-2019, 09:31 AM   #360
Dryer sheet wannabe

Blow that dough on health and fitness!

I feel guilty, a little, for blowing money on this but...there I go anyway.

$1250 a year on concierge medical care--a fancy way of saying "like having a doctor back in the old days who had time for his patients." This gets me (along usual co-pays) a doctor with a small practice, takes phone calls, spends ample time if needed, doesn't insist on me coming into the office for things that can be handled over the phone, doesn't lose my records, doesn't read off a generic script, remembers who I am from one visit to the next. I toyed with the idea of not "blowing that dough" on this after DH retired...one visit to a regular practice for a gyno issue changed my mind. This one is staying in the budget.

Big "blow that dough": we both have personal trainers. It is pricey--$60 a session, however often we go (roughly twice a week, fluctuates some). Looking at it on paper, it's crazy--we could do workouts at home, go to the condo clubhouse gym, join the Y. But we've main significant gains in strength, flexibility, balance, etc. It's personalized so if I've rolled my ankle or whatever, my trainer can adjust what we do that day so I can get some benefit. DH is learning correct form for lifting and just better form for ADLs all around.

Most of my aches and pains I had before have gone or at least diminished.

And there's never more than 2-3 people in the area at once, so it's not so...people-y.

And it's fun. Our trainers are cool. DH's was in the Polish Olympics, mine teaches classes like "self-defense in enclosed spaces/with multiple attackers/in the dark". We have a good time blowing that batch of dough :-)
kwblack is offline   Reply With Quote