Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-15-2019, 10:10 PM   #581
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Martini, sandwich and appetizer washed down with a beer only $75. Value!
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2019, 10:24 PM   #582
Give me a forum ...

If my sister and her husband have anything done to their home, it will be for their enjoyment and they will not care about resale value. They are likely to die in this home. My sister just does not see that she needs anything more than what she already has.

We are about of the same mindset, but we still did a bit more to our home. Having the countertop changed was not that big a deal, did not take the workers that long, and did not cost a huge amount of money either. And we did enjoy it afterwards, and thought that we could have had it done earlier.

We have talked about redoing the bathrooms, but never got around to looking seriously at the options or having someone providing a quote. We just keep procrastinating. And I am afraid once we have it done, we will tell ourselves that we could have it done and enjoyed it long ago.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:36 AM   #583
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Plunked down 50k for 2018 Genesis. The car practically drives by itself. It will serve me on my long distance trips.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 05:41 AM   #584
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
We're in that mindset too. While we have nowhere near $5M in assets we could afford the granite (or whatever is currently in style) countertops. But neither one of us sees how they would improve our daily lives so we don't bother.
One thing to consider.... if your current countertops will be an impediment to the eventual sale of your house by you or your executor, then replacing them now allows you to enjoy them for your remaining time in the house, may cost less because of inflation and allows you to do it leisurely pace rather than you or your executor having to do it with a sale deadline in mind.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:07 AM   #585

Nice ride!
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Plunked down 50k for 2018 Genesis. The car practically drives by itself. It will serve me on my long distance trips.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:18 AM   #586
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
We're in that mindset too. While we have nowhere near $5M in assets we could afford the granite (or whatever is currently in style) countertops. But neither one of us sees how they would improve our daily lives so we don't bother.
I thought about this, and how it is true that older people tend to spend less than when they were young, even though they have more money now. It's not because they turn miser. It's because they care less about stuff now.

How is that? Could it be because of their declining health, they see that health is more precious than anything, yet money cannot buy it. The other "stuff" becomes less important. And older people turn more philosophical.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:47 AM   #587

Replaced the flooring in our kitchen with a better grade of sheet vinyl...under $500 installed.

Will replace the Formica countertops only because the original design allowed water to pool around the porcelain-over-cast iron sink, so it is now rusting and staining the nearby countertop areas...with the least maintenance counter-top material at a reasonable price (quartz?) plus under-mount sink.

When the last kid is finally graduated will replace the wall-to-wall carpet with hardwood in traffic areas upstairs & on the staircase to the finished basement.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 03:45 PM   #588
Give me a forum ...

I paid $53 US for a hat...about $75 CDN after taxes and exchange. But it's a nice Outback hat that should last a very long time...the straw ones fall apart after a year or so. GF thinks I look good in it so that's a bonus.

hat.jpg
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:45 PM   #589
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Great! I have attached a copy of the story of our trip. Try to find a book called
d Castles Along the Rhine. It will give you the history of the castles you sail by.

We are looking a 15 day European Grand cruise similar in nature....Was it worth the cost?
Thx
cnocmmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:06 PM   #590

Just bought the 2020 BMW X3 M40i. $58k out the door.

And we're up to $62,534 spent on our Africa trip. We haven't even left yet.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:32 PM   #591
Give me a forum ...

Wow how long is that Africa trip and for how many people?

I just got the AAA Vacations brochure in the mail. I was leafing through it and they had this one Spain cruise for 7 days for $7300 per person. I read the fine print and it said it included business-class ticket to Spain.

Still probably more than a comparable DIY trip, though I don't know about cruises.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:52 PM   #592

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Wow how long is that Africa trip and for how many people?
16 days, 2 people.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:29 PM   #593
Give me a forum ...

I'm posting about $70 hats and some of you are talking about $50k cars and $60k trips.

I'm blowing that dough...it's just taking me a little longer to find the groove
Old 09-18-2019, 07:31 PM   #594
Give me a forum ...

Every little bit helps. And besides if the only hats you had before were $7 ball caps, you've gone up a whole order of magnitude!
Old 09-18-2019, 07:37 PM   #595
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Every little bit helps. And besides if the only hats you had before were $7 ball caps, you've gone up a whole order of magnitude!
You nailed it...I've gone from $5 ball caps to $70 quality hats.

Baby steps...
Old 09-18-2019, 07:40 PM   #596
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
You nailed it...I've gone from $5 ball caps to $70 quality hats.

Baby steps...
That's a great looking hat! Definitely a step up from $5 ball caps.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:43 PM   #597
Give me a forum ...

The wife and I ate lunch here on the way to Pismo Beach. A half dozen clams, broiled mahi-mahi, crab cakes, a beer and a cranberry juice with tax and tip...

One hundred dollars. We'll go there again, it was worth it -
Old 09-18-2019, 07:50 PM   #598
Moderator Emeritus

DW's birthday today. Even though I gave her a card and a "suggested" gift earlier this week, today I gave her an Active Guardian pendant. Cost? About $1.28/day.

active guardian.jpg

https://www.medicalguardian.com/prod...ctive-guardian
Old 09-21-2019, 09:37 AM   #599
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ok AJ that is a nice thing to have, but really really inappropriate for a birthday. How depressing to be told " You're Old Here is your badge."
Old 09-21-2019, 09:58 AM   #600
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I paid $53 US for a hat...about $75 CDN after taxes and exchange. But it's a nice Outback hat that should last a very long time...the straw ones fall apart after a year or so. GF thinks I look good in it so that's a bonus.

Attachment 32642
With that hat on you will look like a million bucks! Well worth the money. Just make sure the GF doesn't see you smiling at the other women who are enjoying your cowboy good looks.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote