Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2019, 01:50 PM   #641
Moderator Emeritus
Ronstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 13,519
Ordered a beverage center this morning. On my way to pick it up.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2019, 06:14 PM   #642
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SoCal, SE Florida, Lausanne
Posts: 2,174
Flew to Toronto with my wife over the weekend first class (Air Canada 787 Dreamliner from LAX) to pick up my wife's Obgyn prescriptions from a Costco pharmacy in Toronto. The savings(one year supply) more than covered the entire trip. Even better was our prescription from last November still had refills and was valid so we didn't have to renew the prescription with a doctor in Canada this time. We don't mind stimulating the Canadian economy at the expense of greedy pharmaceutical companies and CVS Caremark. It costs $394 per month to fill the prescription here versus $15.85 per month in Canada using the brand name drug in both cases. The generic version would cost $244 per month here. The drug is pretty common and has been around for decades. We also enjoyed some fine dinners in Toronto.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:15 PM   #643
Recycles dryer sheets
Kwirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBear View Post
...and drive around as much as we want.
I have fond memories of driving in Greece. Now that was an adventure!
Kwirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:53 PM   #644
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
Flew to Toronto with my wife over the weekend first class (Air Canada 787 Dreamliner from LAX) to pick up my wife's Obgyn prescriptions from a Costco pharmacy in Toronto. The savings(one year supply) more than covered the entire trip. Even better was our prescription from last November still had refills and was valid so we didn't have to renew the prescription with a doctor in Canada this time. We don't mind stimulating the Canadian economy at the expense of greedy pharmaceutical companies and CVS Caremark. It costs $394 per month to fill the prescription here versus $15.85 per month in Canada using the brand name drug in both cases. The generic version would cost $244 per month here. The drug is pretty common and has been around for decades. We also enjoyed some fine dinners in Toronto.
Will they fill prescriptions from US doctors?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 04:08 PM   #645
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SoCal, SE Florida, Lausanne
Posts: 2,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Will they fill prescriptions from US doctors?
No. Last year we took the US doctor prescription to a walk in clinic and had the doctor write up the US doctor prescription with double dose. That cost us $50 cash (CDN). Costco allows you to fill 6 months up in Canada and which gave us one year supply with refills this year. Last year we filled it in November. This year we filled it at the end of September. Both times we were at the Costco in North York, there were many people from the US doing exactly the same thing we were doing. For Costco it's an easy cash business without having to process insurance claims. It's 100% legal in Canada. We are under the $800 US customs limit so no issue there either. Plus US Customs are allowing people to cross the border to fill there prescription. They are fully aware of the issue with pharma drug pricing.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:12 PM   #646
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
No. Last year we took the US doctor prescription to a walk in clinic and had the doctor write up the US doctor prescription with double dose. That cost us $50 cash (CDN). Costco allows you to fill 6 months up in Canada and which gave us one year supply with refills this year. Last year we filled it in November. This year we filled it at the end of September. Both times we were at the Costco in North York, there were many people from the US doing exactly the same thing we were doing. For Costco it's an easy cash business without having to process insurance claims. It's 100% legal in Canada. We are under the $800 US customs limit so no issue there either. Plus US Customs are allowing people to cross the border to fill there prescription. They are fully aware of the issue with pharma drug pricing.
What did you say to the Canadian doc to make that happen? "I'm trying to save money because the drugs are so expensive in the US?"
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:39 PM   #647
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,880
I'm gearing myself up to buy a Tesla.
__________________
Al
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:44 PM   #648
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas: No Country for Old Men
Posts: 48,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I'm gearing myself up to buy a Tesla.
You plan on paying cash or charging it?
__________________
Numbers is hard

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:03 PM   #649
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 29,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwirk View Post
I have fond memories of driving in Greece. Now that was an adventure!

Did you drive like dis?

__________________
"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:35 PM   #650
Recycles dryer sheets
Kwirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Did you drive like dis?
I didnít have quite that much fun. But I can say for certain that 2 cars side by side in a 2 lane road with an oncoming truck wouldnít have been seen as a problem: everybody adjusts a bit and goes on their way. Shoulders are (or were) de facto lanes in Greece.
Kwirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:14 AM   #651
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SoCal, SE Florida, Lausanne
Posts: 2,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
What did you say to the Canadian doc to make that happen? "I'm trying to save money because the drugs are so expensive in the US?"
We showed him the prescription from the US Obgyn and explained that we wanted it filled in Canada and wanted a one year supply. The doctor spoke to my wife and actually took her vitals and discussed how long she has been taking the medication. Then he wrote out the prescription with a dosage of twice per week versus once per week. That was it. We have no issue paying for medication at a fair price, but $4750 per year vs $185 for the exact same medication is a little too hard to accept. When you buy from a retail pharmacy in Canada like Costco, you have assurances that the medication is legit.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:09 PM   #652
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,880
Both (groan).
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You plan on paying cash or charging it?
__________________
Al
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:00 PM   #653
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RobbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Central CA
Posts: 6,572
Yeah Baby! Write that big check, it's fun!
__________________
Retired at 59 in 2014. Should have done it sooner but I worried too much.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:46 PM   #654
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 11,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I'm gearing myself up to buy a Tesla.



Where are you hiding the real T AL ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:50 PM   #655
Moderator Emeritus
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 45,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Where are you hiding the real T AL ?
That's what I was thinking, too!
__________________
Happily retired since 2009, at age 61.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 09:05 PM   #656
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
We showed him the prescription from the US Obgyn and explained that we wanted it filled in Canada and wanted a one year supply. The doctor spoke to my wife and actually took her vitals and discussed how long she has been taking the medication. Then he wrote out the prescription with a dosage of twice per week versus once per week. That was it. We have no issue paying for medication at a fair price, but $4750 per year vs $185 for the exact same medication is a little too hard to accept. When you buy from a retail pharmacy in Canada like Costco, you have assurances that the medication is legit.
Wow, a huge difference in price! OMG!
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:23 AM   #657
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 29,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
We showed him the prescription from the US Obgyn and explained that we wanted it filled in Canada and wanted a one year supply. The doctor spoke to my wife and actually took her vitals and discussed how long she has been taking the medication. Then he wrote out the prescription with a dosage of twice per week versus once per week. That was it. We have no issue paying for medication at a fair price, but $4750 per year vs $185 for the exact same medication is a little too hard to accept. When you buy from a retail pharmacy in Canada like Costco, you have assurances that the medication is legit.
If we had a true free market, the above price difference would not happen.

The above price ratio of 25x is a lot more than the average as reported in the following article, which says 16x between the US and India.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ore-for-drugs/
__________________
"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:10 AM   #658
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 3,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBear View Post
Cephelonia or Milos, shoulder season. Was looking at Santorini, but the cost and crowds turned me away. I hate dealing with the logistics, so weíll pick single island and camp out for a few weeks, maybe with 1-2 moves at most. Donít need to see anything famous either, so probably minimal time in Athens. Just want to sit in cafes, and kayak and drive around as much as we want.

Which islands do you enjoy??


We loved Milos but were only there 4 nights. Itís a pretty small island. Have you considered Naxos? We spent a week there and could have been happy staying for much longer. Stayed at a great Air BnB right on Playa for around $350 for 7 nights. Not fancy but well-located, safe and clean.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:41 PM   #659
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
We loved Milos but were only there 4 nights. Itís a pretty small island. Have you considered Naxos? We spent a week there and could have been happy staying for much longer. Stayed at a great Air BnB right on Playa for around $350 for 7 nights. Not fancy but well-located, safe and clean.


Glad you loved Milos. Will plan to go eventually. Smaller is fine with us. Saves time running around. Will look into Naxos too.

One of the many appeals of the Greek isles, is the relatively low cost of food and lodging.
__________________
Living the dream...
FreeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:33 PM   #660
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,274
Santorini lodging isn't cheap is it?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blow that Dough! - 2018 audreyh1 Life after FIRE 1099 04-12-2019 07:15 PM
Blow that dough or keep saving for inevitable? gayl FIRE and Money 29 08-31-2018 11:22 AM
What Would It Cost Today...Or Blow That Dough in the 80s TrvlBug Other topics 29 05-24-2018 09:00 AM
A month in Europe! (Blow that dough) flintnational Travel Information 40 04-11-2018 09:01 PM
Blow that dough (It's official now) braumeister FIRE and Money 164 01-03-2018 02:00 PM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:59 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.