Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-30-2019, 01:50 PM   #641
Moderator Emeritus

Ordered a beverage center this morning. On my way to pick it up.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2019, 06:14 PM   #642
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Flew to Toronto with my wife over the weekend first class (Air Canada 787 Dreamliner from LAX) to pick up my wife's Obgyn prescriptions from a Costco pharmacy in Toronto. The savings(one year supply) more than covered the entire trip. Even better was our prescription from last November still had refills and was valid so we didn't have to renew the prescription with a doctor in Canada this time. We don't mind stimulating the Canadian economy at the expense of greedy pharmaceutical companies and CVS Caremark. It costs $394 per month to fill the prescription here versus $15.85 per month in Canada using the brand name drug in both cases. The generic version would cost $244 per month here. The drug is pretty common and has been around for decades. We also enjoyed some fine dinners in Toronto.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:15 PM   #643
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBear View Post
...and drive around as much as we want.
I have fond memories of driving in Greece. Now that was an adventure!
Kwirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:53 PM   #644
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
Flew to Toronto with my wife over the weekend first class (Air Canada 787 Dreamliner from LAX) to pick up my wife's Obgyn prescriptions from a Costco pharmacy in Toronto. The savings(one year supply) more than covered the entire trip. Even better was our prescription from last November still had refills and was valid so we didn't have to renew the prescription with a doctor in Canada this time. We don't mind stimulating the Canadian economy at the expense of greedy pharmaceutical companies and CVS Caremark. It costs $394 per month to fill the prescription here versus $15.85 per month in Canada using the brand name drug in both cases. The generic version would cost $244 per month here. The drug is pretty common and has been around for decades. We also enjoyed some fine dinners in Toronto.
Will they fill prescriptions from US doctors?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 04:08 PM   #645

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Will they fill prescriptions from US doctors?
No. Last year we took the US doctor prescription to a walk in clinic and had the doctor write up the US doctor prescription with double dose. That cost us $50 cash (CDN). Costco allows you to fill 6 months up in Canada and which gave us one year supply with refills this year. Last year we filled it in November. This year we filled it at the end of September. Both times we were at the Costco in North York, there were many people from the US doing exactly the same thing we were doing. For Costco it's an easy cash business without having to process insurance claims. It's 100% legal in Canada. We are under the $800 US customs limit so no issue there either. Plus US Customs are allowing people to cross the border to fill there prescription. They are fully aware of the issue with pharma drug pricing.
Old 10-04-2019, 07:12 PM   #646
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No. Last year we took the US doctor prescription to a walk in clinic and had the doctor write up the US doctor prescription with double dose. That cost us $50 cash (CDN). Costco allows you to fill 6 months up in Canada and which gave us one year supply with refills this year. Last year we filled it in November. This year we filled it at the end of September. Both times we were at the Costco in North York, there were many people from the US doing exactly the same thing we were doing. For Costco it's an easy cash business without having to process insurance claims. It's 100% legal in Canada. We are under the $800 US customs limit so no issue there either. Plus US Customs are allowing people to cross the border to fill there prescription. They are fully aware of the issue with pharma drug pricing.
What did you say to the Canadian doc to make that happen? "I'm trying to save money because the drugs are so expensive in the US?"
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:39 PM   #647
Give me a forum ...

I'm gearing myself up to buy a Tesla.
Old 10-04-2019, 07:44 PM   #648
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
You plan on paying cash or charging it?
Old 10-04-2019, 08:03 PM   #649
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwirk View Post
I have fond memories of driving in Greece. Now that was an adventure!

Did you drive like dis?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:35 PM   #650
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Did you drive like dis?
I didn’t have quite that much fun. But I can say for certain that 2 cars side by side in a 2 lane road with an oncoming truck wouldn’t have been seen as a problem: everybody adjusts a bit and goes on their way. Shoulders are (or were) de facto lanes in Greece.
Kwirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:14 AM   #651

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
What did you say to the Canadian doc to make that happen? "I'm trying to save money because the drugs are so expensive in the US?"
We showed him the prescription from the US Obgyn and explained that we wanted it filled in Canada and wanted a one year supply. The doctor spoke to my wife and actually took her vitals and discussed how long she has been taking the medication. Then he wrote out the prescription with a dosage of twice per week versus once per week. That was it. We have no issue paying for medication at a fair price, but $4750 per year vs $185 for the exact same medication is a little too hard to accept. When you buy from a retail pharmacy in Canada like Costco, you have assurances that the medication is legit.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:09 PM   #652
Give me a forum ...

Both (groan).
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You plan on paying cash or charging it?
Old 10-05-2019, 07:00 PM   #653
Give me a forum ...

Yeah Baby! Write that big check, it's fun!
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:46 PM   #654
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

Where are you hiding the real T AL ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:50 PM   #655
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Where are you hiding the real T AL ?
That's what I was thinking, too!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 09:05 PM   #656
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We showed him the prescription from the US Obgyn and explained that we wanted it filled in Canada and wanted a one year supply. The doctor spoke to my wife and actually took her vitals and discussed how long she has been taking the medication. Then he wrote out the prescription with a dosage of twice per week versus once per week. That was it. We have no issue paying for medication at a fair price, but $4750 per year vs $185 for the exact same medication is a little too hard to accept. When you buy from a retail pharmacy in Canada like Costco, you have assurances that the medication is legit.
Wow, a huge difference in price! OMG!
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:23 AM   #657
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If we had a true free market, the above price difference would not happen.

The above price ratio of 25x is a lot more than the average as reported in the following article, which says 16x between the US and India.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ore-for-drugs/

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:10 AM   #658

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBear View Post
Cephelonia or Milos, shoulder season. Was looking at Santorini, but the cost and crowds turned me away. I hate dealing with the logistics, so we’ll pick single island and camp out for a few weeks, maybe with 1-2 moves at most. Don’t need to see anything famous either, so probably minimal time in Athens. Just want to sit in cafes, and kayak and drive around as much as we want.

Which islands do you enjoy??

We loved Milos but were only there 4 nights. It’s a pretty small island. Have you considered Naxos? We spent a week there and could have been happy staying for much longer. Stayed at a great Air BnB right on Playa for around $350 for 7 nights. Not fancy but well-located, safe and clean.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:41 PM   #659

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
We loved Milos but were only there 4 nights. It’s a pretty small island. Have you considered Naxos? We spent a week there and could have been happy staying for much longer. Stayed at a great Air BnB right on Playa for around $350 for 7 nights. Not fancy but well-located, safe and clean.

Glad you loved Milos. Will plan to go eventually. Smaller is fine with us. Saves time running around. Will look into Naxos too.

One of the many appeals of the Greek isles, is the relatively low cost of food and lodging.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:33 PM   #660
Give me a forum ...

Santorini lodging isn't cheap is it?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote