Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-29-2019, 04:51 PM   #681
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by googily View Post
A few days late, but I should probably mention I bought a ticket on the secondary market to Game 3 of the World Series. Upper deck, about at 3rd base, and got it for $963 before the Astros clinched their series. Similar tickets were selling for $1250 a few hours before game time.

And yes, the Nats lost, but I went with three generations of family, none of whom had ever been to a World Series, so it was worth it.
I think that is wonderful
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2019, 05:49 PM   #682
Full time employment: Posting here.

My 86 year old father and my sports crazy 11 year old nephew seemed equally enthralled!
googily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:06 PM   #683
gone traveling

Upgraded my wife's iPhone X (huge) to an iPhone 11 Pro (huge) after just 11 months.
Cameras.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:15 AM   #684
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Upgraded my wife's iPhone X (huge) to an iPhone 11 Pro (huge) after just 11 months.
Cameras.
Shocking! LOL!
Old 10-30-2019, 12:43 PM   #685
Recycles dryer sheets

All right, did my part.

Just purchased an 82inch tv (from Costco) to replace a 3yr old 65inch TV. Prices dropped big last night. The old TV will be redeployed.

The good news in all this is my living room simply cannot hold a bigger TV. This should last 7+ years like many of my prior TV purchases.
UtahSkier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 01:49 PM   #686

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahSkier View Post
All right, did my part.

Just purchased an 82inch tv (from Costco) to replace a 3yr old 65inch TV. Prices dropped big last night. The old TV will be redeployed.

The good news in all this is my living room simply cannot hold a bigger TV. This should last 7+ years like many of my prior TV purchases.
You didn't wait until Black Friday? Oh, the horror!! You must have blown that dough!!
Another Reader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 02:07 PM   #687
Give me a forum ...

Not sure if this counts as a splurge or blow that dough, but just bought a gym membership for me and DH for $500 a year (quite cheap). I already play a lot of sports worth $1000 per year just for myself (volleyball), but I've been wanting to add strength training on my off-days, so it's now $1,500 for sports/fitness. The gym has hydromassage tables/chairs as well as massage chairs and red light therapy rooms, so those were the perks that caught my attention, and I imagine I will be using some machines for strength training LOL.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 04:06 PM   #688
Recycles dryer sheets

Awesome...Yep I am next. I have an 90 inch now I purchased 4 years ago lol
cnocmmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:36 PM   #689

Both of us hate cold weather. For the upcoming winter we bought His 'n Hers Milwaukee Electric heated jackets from Home Depot, and I bought a pair of heated gloves from Acme Tools (gender bias still exists; Milwaukee doesn't make them for women) since HD was apparently out of them in my size. We haven't had enough cold weather to really try them out but all seems to work well.

Say, isn't Acme Tools where Wile E. Coyote gets all his stuff? Oh well, our fire/explosion insurance is paid up....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg catalog_study.jpg (14.8 KB, 43 views)
Old 10-30-2019, 05:39 PM   #690
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
You didn't wait until Black Friday? Oh, the horror!! You must have blown that dough!!
A strategic decision after tons of analysis. This TV has an MSRP of $4000 and Costco was selling it yesterday for $3300. Today's price is $2500 which I feel will be the black Friday price.

Trigger pulled today, so I can buy something else on black Friday
UtahSkier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:57 PM   #691

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahSkier View Post
A strategic decision after tons of analysis. This TV has an MSRP of $4000 and Costco was selling it yesterday for $3300. Today's price is $2500 which I feel will be the black Friday price.

Trigger pulled today, so I can buy something else on black Friday
The Black Friday ad is already online, thanks to Costco Insider.

https://www.costcoinsider.com/costco...d/#coupon-book
Another Reader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:28 PM   #692
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Both of us hate cold weather. For the upcoming winter we bought His 'n Hers Milwaukee Electric heated jackets from Home Depot, and I bought a pair of heated gloves from Acme Tools (gender bias still exists; Milwaukee doesn't make them for women) since HD was apparently out of them in my size. We haven't had enough cold weather to really try them out but all seems to work well.
So the heated jackets isn't clothing if it's from Home Depot?

Is it some kind of blankets which you plug in, not battery-powered?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:42 AM   #693
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the tip Walt! I just ordered some heated gloves from Amazon. They should keep my fingers from freezing when I'm plowing snow on the atv.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:35 AM   #694
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
, and I bought a pair of heated gloves from Acme Tools
I think I may have Raynauds disease, because the symptoms sound identical to what occurs with me. https://www.google.com/search?q=rayn...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Tell me how the gloves work out for you, i've been looking for answers.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:00 AM   #695

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
I think I may have Raynauds disease, because the symptoms sound identical to what occurs with me. https://www.google.com/search?q=rayn...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Tell me how the gloves work out for you, i've been looking for answers.

Have you tried hand warmers? They're single-use chemical thermal packs, and while they would need to go in the palm of your hand, that usually helps warm the fingertips, and you can always pull your fingers into the palm of your glove.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:13 AM   #696

I just replaced 15 year old carpeting in three bedrooms with wood flooring. And then replaced ugly white tile counter tops with quartz adding a new sink too. Love the look now.

Then I had 7 old discolored can lights replaced and had new metal rollers put on the 9 foot tall slider. It was a busy couple of months, but I am very happy with everything. It all cost about 20K.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:43 AM   #697
Give me a forum ...

Paid for my first golf club membership at a local course, for November through March. Perhaps not really blowing that dough, I just need to play 12 more times between now and the end of March to be ahead. We should get some nice days in the Mid-Atlantic area during that time.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:11 AM   #698

Booked flights, hotel, and game tickets for quick trip to NYC in November to the Empire Classic at Madison Square Garden. BFF e-mailed me that she and her husband were going (they live within driving distance and visit the city often); I checked my calendar and realized I could fly up Thursday morning, come back Saturday, and still see DS who will be in town on Sunday. Bonus - I get to spend time Friday with DD who is in law school there. Since neither kid will be home for Thanksgiving, it's nice to get to see them just before the holiday.

Not too much dough as the flights were reasonable and I used points for most of the hotel cost. But a few years ago I would have thought this was frivolous and not made the trip.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:47 PM   #699

$2500 fishing boat, wood chipper, towable cart for ATV, planer & table, new dremel multi-tool...moved to our forever lake home...renovations about to begin, and more utility toys to come! (all these items in past week!)
Old 11-01-2019, 06:41 PM   #700

I had sold my previous larger motorhome about 1 month ago. Bought this new (used) motorhome last Friday. Drove back from Florida, towing my car I drove down. Little over 2100 miles in 5 days for the round trip. Picture of new motorhome ready to hit the road back to home. I wanted to downsize, this one is 37 ft length, my old one was 45 ft. Not too much of a blow the dough since most of the funds for new motorhome came from selling the old one. Looking forward to some future trips. 20191026_112936.jpeg

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote