Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-19-2019, 05:42 PM   #121
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
What's popular in the Caribbean? Do they have their own style of cuisine or is it mostly tailored for American tastes?
Both. The Caribbean has a very wide range of cuisines which reflect the many roots of their ethnic heritage and there are many differences among the islands.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2019, 09:48 AM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
DW and I took a break from the MD winter and spent 5 nights on St John. Flew direct from Dulles to St Thomas. Ferry across to St John. Rented a jeep and an AirB&B. Great trip. Sprung for economy plus for the flight back. A shout out to "Extra Virgin". Had literally a top 5 lifetime meal there. Great service too. Right in Cruz Bay on St John if you get down there. Probably do St John again next year but also want to see St Croix. I sleep better in U.S. territories for some reason. Returned to write a 46K check to my home builder. Should move in on or before 15 April.

I love the USVI, can’t wait to go back again!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:50 AM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Looking at some of the food pics on Google, it looks pretty darn tasty.

Yes, of all the USVI, we think St. Croix has the best food. Savant and Rowdy Joe’s were our two favorite places.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:01 PM   #124

Our spending in my first two years of ER has been about 50% of what FireCalc says is our SWR at a 95% confidence level over 30 years, so DW and I need to learn to "blow that dough!"

I got it into my head to buy a pump for homebrewing as lifting 5 gal buckets of near-boiling water up a stepladder to dump into a cooler teetering on a couple of milk crates on a folding table is getting old. As I was perusing web sites for the cheapest pumps available, I looked at our bank balances and decided to go for the best. And why not add tubing with quick-connects and get rid of the hose barbs? And add thermometers for all three vessels I use. And a couple of sight glasses. And a few other accessories which I won't try to explain here.

It felt good. I'm spending my day installing all this stuff. Can't wait for the weather to break so I can brew outside soon and try this out.

Next up: plan a great vacation for this year.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 07:38 PM   #125
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
Bought an Omega Speedmaster Pro moon watch. And a JB Champion mesh bracelet for it. Now I get to play astronaut.
I'm not into watches as much as I used to be, but I'd really like an older Omega Constellation with the rice-style bracelet.
Slow But Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 01:53 PM   #126
Recycles dryer sheets

My DW and and I are savers, but last year took a World Cruise on Regent Seven Seas. This is an all inclusive trip, meaning no additional cost for alcohol, for laundry, medical, shore excursions, wi-fi, gratuities, etc. We went to 30 different countries, 62 different ports and learned what places we would want to visit in the future. It took 137 days to complete the cruise, so it is like 10 two week vacations....but you only have to unpack once!

Think about it...seriously. Expensive on the front end ($150K), but well worth it when it was done.
levindb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 02:15 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by levindb View Post
My DW and and I are savers, but last year took a World Cruise on Regent Seven Seas. This is an all inclusive trip, meaning no additional cost for alcohol, for laundry, medical, shore excursions, wi-fi, gratuities, etc. We went to 30 different countries, 62 different ports and learned what places we would want to visit in the future. It took 137 days to complete the cruise, so it is like 10 two week vacations....but you only have to unpack once!

Think about it...seriously. Expensive on the front end ($150K), but well worth it when it was done.
I bet you were not in an inside cabin
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 02:57 PM   #128
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I bet you were not in an inside cabin
I do not think that ship has inside cabins. They are all suites with balconies. Although some of them are pretty darn small.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:33 PM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Talk about needing a vacation *after* your vacation...wow!
Old 02-25-2019, 04:43 AM   #130
Recycles dryer sheets

Bruichladdich black art 4.1
captain3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:18 AM   #131
gone traveling

Quote:

When families spend several thousand dollars on a few weeks vacation at Walt Disney World, this cruise of a lifetime is a better deal.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:02 AM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain3d View Post
Bruichladdich black art 4.1
You are a better man than I am. I cannot believe how the prices of single malt have gone up!
Old 02-25-2019, 12:16 PM   #133
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
You are a better man than I am. I cannot believe how the prices of single malt have gone up!

True. I bought the 4.1 and a Springbank 20 single cask Fresh Sherry at the same store for $600 out the door. Crazy expensive but a ‘good deal’ at today’s prices.
captain3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:14 PM   #134
Give me a forum ...

IKON ski passes for next year for my son and I. We'll take a trip out west next winter at one of the participating resorts, and buying now allows for skiing this spring at a nearby ski resort. I'll probably make a couple trips next year.

New skis for me too. Been a few years. They say skis last about 100 days (of skiing). I probably have 250-300 or more on mine, though a lot of 2 hour days.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 02:30 PM   #135

After spending a month in Florida and using a commercial gym for the first time in decades, today I went out and bought 250 pounds of rubber coated weight plates with hand grips as an upgrade to my regular steel weights:

weights.jpg
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 02:34 PM   #136

Offf! That makes me tired just thinking about getting them into the house.
Old 03-09-2019, 03:01 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
After spending a month in Florida and using a commercial gym for the first time in decades, today I went out and bought 250 pounds of rubber coated weight plates with hand grips as an upgrade to my regular steel weights:

Attachment 30979
Those look fantastic. I still have the solid plates and they clank a lot. And without handles they get cussed at quite a bit.
corn18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 03:12 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
Those look fantastic. I still have the solid plates and they clank a lot. And without handles they get cussed at quite a bit.
I love them...and the price was just 15% more than regular steel plates ($1.15 per pound rather than $1). Plus I'll get back some money by selling the steel plates privately. So, I guess technically it doesn't really fall under "blow that dough!!" standards.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:17 PM   #139
Full time employment: Posting here.

Blow that dough for 2019 so far---

Bought a 2019 Ford F250 with all the bells and whistles. Will be upgrading our RV sometime this year. Got the new truck to pull it. Just booked a 13 day cruise leaving out of New York going to Europe. 2 days in New York City first, cruise and then a couple of days after the cruise in Amsterdam. So far all total for both is $58,000 spend that dough!

Didn't do any travel last year so making up for it in 2019.

Planning a trip with the RV out East for September and October.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:40 PM   #140

Well,

This is sort of a cross between unblow the dough and where are you traveling.
We got a brochure for a cruise of the San Juan Islands out of Seattle. The price for an 8 day cruise for the 2 of us was $10K plus airfare.
We have been interested is going to the San Juan Islands for some time,but this was a bit much.
Also, I was looking to fly a P-40 next month for $2200, but by not doing that, we can pay for a $200 a night hotel in Friday Harbor for a week and have money left over for meals. The best part would I would be spending it with my wife!
We have not made definite plans, but I do stealth planning I have the ferry schedule, the airline schedule, and a price for an aerial tour of the islands. I also have an inquiry to the ferry company for any hotel packages they have.
I figure that we will be way ahead of the cruise cost and spend a week on San Juan Island.