Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-28-2019, 06:32 PM   #241
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrencewendall View Post
Just blew 1k on 4 cases of steaks and chicken. Does that count?
Getting into RobbieB territory.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2019, 08:00 PM   #242
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Lately I've occasionally been buying DVD-based courses from The Great Courses. It feels kinda like blowing that dough, because after I finish the course, what do I do with the DVD set? Donate them to the library? I already subscribe to DVDs-by-mail from NetFlix and also check movies and documentary DVDs out of the library.

On the positive side, in general I've been pleased with the quality of the courses I've purchased. Also, it's nice to financially support a company that is disseminating our scientific and cultural heritage to folks who otherwise might be "tuned out".

I recently finished 12 hours (24 lectures) on emergency medicine. I've never been to an emergency room (emergency department), so learning what it is like to be an ER patient and doctor was fascinating. The way people drive here in Florida, an ER visit may be in my future, and now I'm better prepared.
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:42 PM   #243
Recycles dryer sheets

Blowing $3 k on summer trip to SoCal CAn't wait
Octogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:08 PM   #244
Give me a forum ...

Got a contract on painting the exterior of the house, $2800. Work starts in 2 weeks.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:31 PM   #245

We blew a little over $8000 to replace all the heating ducts beneath our house after they got infested by rats. We put in AlumaFlex ducts that are supposed to be "almost" rodent-proof. We also replaced the rat-chewed access doors to the crawl-space to keep those creepy disgusting little buggers out from under the house.

We're slowly replacing the 16 windows in the house. We installed new vinyl windows when we did major work on the house in 1999, and we're slowly using the lifetime warranty to replace them as they lose their vacuum seals. so far we've replaced 8 at no charge.

I'll be doing three fishing trips this year to Mexico and Alaska for $3000-4000 each. I think that counts as blowing the dough, although I will bring home about 200 lbs of filets to help offset the cost of the trips.
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:43 PM   #246
Give me a forum ...

Send me some Halibut!
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:01 PM   #247

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Send me some Halibut!
Next time I pass through central CA I'll bring you some. What town?
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:58 PM   #248

$5000 to DS for his graduate school graduation gift.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:39 AM   #249
Recycles dryer sheets

Ford 150 King Ranch to replace 10 year old Expedition and pull Airstream for annual 2 week trip to Dakotas in Aug and shorter ones in between. Love the adaptive cruise control, cameras and tow mirrors!
Sanstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:14 AM   #250
Moderator Emeritus

^Nice! Perfect way to blow some dough!
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:16 AM   #251
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post
Lately I've occasionally been buying DVD-based courses from The Great Courses. It feels kinda like blowing that dough, because after I finish the course, what do I do with the DVD set? Donate them to the library?
You can get a decent price for them on e-Bay, too. I LOVE The Great Courses!
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:25 AM   #252

Yes, they're popular on ebay, so no problem getting rid of them. I've bought too many of them, but for the last few years I just get the download version. No worries about what to do with physical discs and easy to store on my phone or pad when traveling. I love listening while driving.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:04 AM   #253

Not that big of an expense, but I pulled the trigger on WhiskyFest tickets for NYC this year, since the friends I usually go with decided to go again (after we took off last year), and there was an early bird discount that expired on Sunday. We sometimes get all of our families together, which for me means getting a hotel room downtown, and probably theater tickets for them while we're attending the whisky tastings.

If anyone else here is going, PM me if you want to say hi.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:54 AM   #254
Give me a forum ...

I finally did buy that Breville Compact Convection oven I have been looking at for a year. $138 for what some consider a glorified toaster oven!

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:42 PM   #255

I converted most all of my yard tools from 2 stroke gas to battery. These things are great! No messing with fuel mixes, hard start, storing, etc. I have a weed eater, chain saw, blower and an angle grinder along with a drill and driver set. All use the same battery. I have 8 batteries and charger for 4 at a time. Much quieter and no worries about putting them away until next time. I'll get the mower as well soon.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 04:47 PM   #256

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
I converted most all of my yard tools from 2 stroke gas to battery. These things are great! No messing with fuel mixes, hard start, storing, etc. I have a weed eater, chain saw, blower and an angle grinder along with a drill and driver set. All use the same battery. I have 8 batteries and charger for 4 at a time. Much quieter and no worries about putting them away until next time. I'll get the mower as well soon.
What brand?
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:01 PM   #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
Not that big of an expense, but I pulled the trigger on WhiskyFest tickets for NYC this year, since the friends I usually go with decided to go again (after we took off last year), and there was an early bird discount that expired on Sunday. We sometimes get all of our families together, which for me means getting a hotel room downtown, and probably theater tickets for them while we're attending the whisky tastings.

If anyone else here is going, PM me if you want to say hi.
Oy. Now I'm regretting even this moderate splurge. We're going to Blow That Dough on a five-figure vet bill. As long as our horse survives, it will be worth it, I can live on ramen and hooch instead of good scotch and craft beer, I did it during college!
Old 05-06-2019, 05:16 PM   #258

On our recent cruise in Alaska, we went on the White Pass a & Yukon Railroad. Our ship offered a VIP car for $350 a person. It was so well worth it! Rather than sitting on wooden benches with 40 people,, we only had 12 passengers. The seats were overstuffed swiveling leather club chairs. We were also served hors d'oeuvres and beer and wine. It was a great experience.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6779.jpg (574.1 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6781.jpg (615.0 KB, 67 views)
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:28 PM   #259

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
What brand?

Makita
The tools use 2 each, 18 volt batteries for a total of 36 volts. The chain saw as especially impressive. I had 4 downed oak trees from winter and the saw did a great job of chopping them up. I'd say I can cut half a cord on a pair of batteries.

The blower is also nice as it's adjustable. From very low to more blow than my backpack Husqvarna. Low is nice for the garage as it doesn't blow everything around. Also nice for flower beds with bark mulch to remove leaves. High will blow anything I want.

The string trimmer has two speeds; slow and fast. Slow is nice for grass edging and high for tall weeds. If weeds wrap around the head and clog it, there's a reverse on it to clear the foul. Very nice!

The angle grinder is nice as it shuts off almost as soon as you release the trigger. Much safer than my electric AC powered grinder. If I catch it on something, instead of jumping hard, it trips off line, again, saving me from harming myself. I used it for sharpening my mower's blade. Worked great!

I previously bought the multi tool. A neat saw that gets into blind spots. For example; if you want to remove base board trim, this will slip between the wall the trim to cut the nails without any damage to either.

I also have the circular saw and a job site radio with blue tooth. The radio has exceptional receiver sensitivity. I live way out in the country and it picks up stations just fine. The radio audio quality is better than anything I've heard of this type.

I also have a sawsall. It's very powerful and will cut heavy steel or wood with nails in it.

I also got a battery powered backpack weed sprayer. Holds 4 gallons. So nice not to have to pump my old back pack sprayer all the time. The battery lasts several fill-ups on the sprayer. It's not Makita, I don't recall what brand it is, but I got it at Tractor Supply. The Makita tools I got from Amazon. They have several package deals. If you get them, get the set with the extra batteries and charger. Battery/chargers by themselves are very pricey.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:42 PM   #260

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
In another spending category: Just put down a deposit on a trip to the Galapagos in March, 2020 with Overseas Adventure Travel; I took them to India and Nepal last year and was VERY impressed and they don't charge a Single Supplement. I'd joked that I wanted to go there so I could see a blue-footed booby- and then I saw them in the Sea of Cortez last month. Well, I'm going to the Galapagos anyway.

I am SO blessed!
We went to the Galapagos about 3 years ago, through National Geographic. Great trip! You will love it there!
Lewis Clark is offline   Reply With Quote