Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-02-2019, 05:23 PM   #781
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I love my lazy boy! Seventeen hundred bucks and worth every cent.

Why? I start snoring 30 minutes after reclining - The true test of comfort!
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2019, 05:30 PM   #782
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
So that is something I'd like to try, living a month like a local.
Do you have any tips on renting a place ?
What countries have you done this in ?
I have been fortunate to have been able to meet up with a friend who worked in the Peace Corps and is now spending about 4-6 months a year being a vagabond in South America. So far we have met up and travelled in Peru, Chile, Argentina and Uruguay. We generally spend about a week or 2 in a place and then move on to the next location. So far, we have found places to stay through AirBnB that have been good, or else book at local hotels where the locals would stay (ie. they arent cookie cutter Holiday Inns). The hotels are usually basic with beds, tables bathrooms and a breakfast. As an example, we stayed at a hotel 3 blocks from the main square in Cajamarca Peru, in a very comfortable place with about 20 rooms for $25 US/night. In Europe we also tend to stay in the same place for a week at a time as well. In general, we look for places that are either near the downtown area where things are within walking distance, or near a transit line. No need for cars then. If here is somewhere that we want to go that is not easily accessible by public transit, we will take a small tour .

However, the real difference is in our attitude when travelling. I behave like we are living in he location, so we dont follow a fixed schedule. Sure, there are places that we want to see, but we usually get to them on our own time, not the tours schedule. We can sleep in when we want, decide to chill out if it is raining, go to a nice local restaurant when we want. Yes, it is more work and research than simply relying on a tour company to plan it all for you, but it is the way that we like to travel. Since I spent a lot of my pre-retirement career (that thing called "work") travelling for MegaCorp, I am very comfortable in foreign environments. I respect, though, that others prefer more structure and having someone else organize their travels. To each their own.
jcfradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:44 PM   #783
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
As for blowing dough... Money is really funny stuff for me as I'd guess in different folks it is in different ways. I still can stand in front of a supermarket aisle for a minute or two and self debate about whether one product is worth the extra $0.20 just because that's the way I am. Or be kind of anal about flipping the water spigot to cold because even though I only want a cup of water, I wouldn't want the hot water heater wasting the energy to move a cup of water into the pipes. Anyway. But there I go, adding probably $13,000 to the price of a car because of color selection and I liked the look of the exhausts. And, after wringing my hands about the decision to even trade vehicles, I look at our finances post decision and spending the money and it's like "meh...no big deal. All good!" I still can't bring myself to upgrade to business though!
I just cashed in some holdings to raise the cash to replace the 20-year-old kitchen in our soon-to-be retirement apartment. I have always had the feeling that the manufacturers, resellers, and installers of kitchens have a cosy arrangement among themselves to keep the prices high and the true cost of goods sold obscure, but in this case we are also having a dividing wall between the small kitchen and the laundry space demolished, so there is no point in me fantasising that I could do more than 5% of the project myself. So like H2ODude, I am writing one nice fat cheque for what I know will be a well-done job, and it'll be back to recycling dryer sheets and getting groceries at Aldi the week after.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 04:33 AM   #784
Give me a forum ...

What we 'need' is only a 2% WR plus my modest pension. In light of the investments breaking out to an unexpected level, for next year I have planned to pull out a 'frothy' 2.8%, and among other things we are going to replace our boring painted pine stairway with stained oak and metal balusters for about $5K.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:13 AM   #785

I just got an Apple watch. I've wanted one for awhile and finally decided to just do it.

I've ordered a car that will arrive in about a week. 2020 Toyota Rav4 Limited Hybrid. Cant wait.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:22 AM   #786
Recycles dryer sheets

Rooftop solar installed. Hoping it will be sufficient to offset most of our AC and EV car charging. 70% of our electricity here is generated by coal so that was a factor for us.
jabbahop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:53 AM   #787
gone traveling

My DW was looking at building a "She shed" in our barnyard for her, and our DD to have a dedicated crafting place, where all of the supplies and tools are in one place that is easily accessible. We decided on an older travel trailer that already has plumbing, A/C, heat, and cabinets, so looking at a $1200 camper today.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:01 PM   #788

We bought a Bolt last month after the solar panel installation, but next year, I may trade the Silverado for a Rav4 plug-in hybrid, because of the AWD (we ski a lot). That would cut our gas expenditures down to only long trips; the rest of driving would be largely fueled by the panels. The 49 miles per charge would cover my local driving & pretty much cover all but the longest drives to Sierra hikes.

I'm still thinking about it, but have a year or so to consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB View Post
I just got an Apple watch. I've wanted one for awhile and finally decided to just do it.

I've ordered a car that will arrive in about a week. 2020 Toyota Rav4 Limited Hybrid. Cant wait.
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 05:11 PM   #789

Got a porterhouse steak and king crab legs and cooked them up for DGF and me.
Way cheaper than eating out, but still a splurge.
Old 12-20-2019, 01:05 PM   #790
Give me a forum ...

Cool! Found something new for blowing that dough!
https://www.costco.com/covap%C2%A0ja...100519895.html

It's a fantastic deal for 100% bellota jamon Iberico. Usually these top quality legs go for at least 2x and far more expensive by the pound pre-sliced, without the stand and knife.

We're thinking about what to do with such a thing......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imageService.jpg (94.1 KB, 108 views)
Old 12-20-2019, 01:19 PM   #791
Give me a forum ...

^^^ Saw a similar ham at the local Costco, but it was the lesser Jamon Serrano and not Iberico like the above. The price ratio is 5x.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 01:23 PM   #792
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
^^^ Saw a similar ham at the local Costco, but it was the lesser Jamon Serrano and not Iberico like the above. The price ratio is 5x.
We saw the exact above in Costco this week, which is why I looked it up online for possible home delivery - just $29 more for shipping.

And what we saw at the store was the 100% Bellota version. That is really premium jamon Iberico, the best you can get.
Old 12-20-2019, 01:38 PM   #793
Give me a forum ...

You can invite the whole neighborhood over to partake. They will be talking about this for years to come. You need to find a good wine to pair with this.

Then, break out your Louis XIII Cognac at the end.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-20-2019, 02:07 PM   #794
Moderator Emeritus

We have our own ham's running around the neighborhood area. Real live ones! (feral) (we are just not allowed to shoot them near the houses) LOL
Old 12-20-2019, 02:32 PM   #795
Give me a forum ...

Ordered up a Corbin saddle for my Bonneville T100, six hundred bucks. My Christmas present to myself.

You should always buy yourself something you really want for Christmas because nobody else will -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 02:49 PM   #796

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Ordered up a Corbin saddle for my Bonneville T100, six hundred bucks. My Christmas present to myself.

You should always buy yourself something you really want for Christmas because nobody else will -

Wow, you got off easy, that's dirt cheap for a saddle! Did you get that used? Oh, and what kind of horse is a Bonneville?

(For anyone whose memory might be anywhere near as bad as mine, I mentioned our horse expenditures many pages back in this thread! Luckily for me, I'm the tertiary caretaker, all I have to do is "pony" up the $$$$$...)
Old 12-20-2019, 03:11 PM   #797
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You can invite the whole neighborhood over to partake. They will be talking about this for years to come. You need to find a good wine to pair with this.
This is exactly what we were thinking about.

The wine choice is easy. A Reserve Rioja or Ribera del Duero will go perfectly. But if the neighbors are coming - they can bring the wine!
Old 12-20-2019, 03:34 PM   #798
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I did! I ordered myself a new multimeter.

I'm going to wrap it and put it under the tree, too!
Old 12-20-2019, 04:40 PM   #799
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
This is exactly what we were thinking about.

The wine choice is easy. A Reserve Rioja or Ribera del Duero will go perfectly. But if the neighbors are coming - they can bring the wine!

Some people recommend a good sherry, or a Cava Brut. Nothing too tannic or oaky, which overpowers the delicate jamon.

I would have my preferred bottle handy for myself, in case the neighbors do not bring the type I like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
We have our own ham's running around the neighborhood area. Real live ones! (feral) (we are just not allowed to shoot them near the houses) LOL

If that is turned into ham, I think you will need to knock it down with strong moonshine, and not some delicate wine.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I did! I ordered myself a new multimeter.

I'm going to wrap it and put it under the tree, too!

I hope it's one of the new fangled DC clamp ammeters. Once you use it, you will wonder how people can measure any DC current without it. In fact, they rarely measure any current, because it was too cumbersome to break into the circuit, and they would not have the right shunt.

Old 12-20-2019, 05:23 PM   #800
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I hope it's one of the new fangled DC clamp ammeters. Once you use it, you will wonder how people can measure any DC current without it. In fact, they rarely measure any current, because it was too cumbersome to break into the circuit, and they would not have the right shunt.
No, it's just a small conventional one to use in the garage as my 40+ year old Craftsman one died. But, I have to agree, the clamp on ones for measuring DC current can be handy.