Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2020, 05:08 PM   #241
gone traveling

I bought an old fiberglass jon boat (tri-hull design) that I m re-furbing for some reservoir/river duty. I am building a casting deck, mounting 2 swivel seats, and getting a Minn Kota 55# thrust electric trolling motor. I also bought a used boat trailer (way too big, but converting it for a small boat.

By far spending $300 on the trolling motor was the most expensive item so far, I got the boat for $75, and the trailer for $200.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2020, 08:26 AM   #242
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
That's what my wife said about this:

It's nicer than the apartment we are living in while we are waiting for our house to be built. She was unimpressed.

I hear you! Was dreaming about a trailer or RV to escape the dreary weather and boring topography of our “up north” home town even before retirement. Quickly vetoed by DW.

Now 5 years into retirement, we bought a 2nd home, a winter house in SE Arizona with a view of a mountain. And we’re remodeling the new place too...

We’re supposed to be selling our northern home now, but I doubt that will happen anytime soon. Still waiting for the end of lockdown so we can even start thinking of the next step. So we inadvertently have become a 2 home household. Could be worse, we used to own 3homes!

No desire to buy an RV anytime soon. I’m cured, for now!
Old 05-10-2020, 08:55 AM   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by DektolMan View Post
Ordering my first pellet grill, looking forward to it!

Nice! We love our Camp Chef pellet grill. Best ever smoked chicken!

We got Grillgrates brand searing kit to sear salmon and asparagus. Works well and cuts pellet consumption when you want to sear.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:57 AM   #244
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

New Fridge, New TV, New Sod for side yard, added some sprinklers. It all adds up.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:47 AM   #245
Give me a forum ...

Smaller purchase than a boat, but sorely needed for yard cleanup (leaves).

Greenworks Pro 60-volt Max Brushless Lithium Ion Self-propelled 21-in Cordless Electric Lawn Mower
https://www.greenworkstools.com/shop-by-tool/mowers

Technically I did not blow the dough, since it was covered by a gift card from #1 Son.

It does a good job mulching last year's dried leaves. It's a lawnmower, but has enough "Turbo" to get through a decent pile of leaves. Removing the sticks first is recommended.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:41 PM   #246
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't know why (Yes I do. I've been being cheap.), but I've been using an incomplete set of cooking measuring cups and spoons for a very long time.

The sizes on all of these cups and spoons were printed on labels, and the printed sizes are all worn away.

I just ordered a beautiful new set of stainless steel measuring cups and spoons with the sizes etched into the handles. I've been wanting these for years.

I ordered from a local kitchen supply store to give them some business.

I also ordered a new stainless steel strainer, and an instant meat thermometer while I was at it. Ive been wanting these also for some time. Blowing that dough again.

I'm still hesitating on ordering up a new garage and truck. Hopefully that will happen too.

Take care, JP
Old 05-13-2020, 02:35 PM   #247
Give me a forum ...

Baby steps!
Old 05-13-2020, 02:38 PM   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP.mpls View Post
I don't know why (Yes I do. I've been being cheap.), but I've been using an incomplete set of cooking measuring cups and spoons for a very long time.

The sizes on all of these cups and spoons were printed on labels, and the printed sizes are all worn away.

I just ordered a beautiful new set of stainless steel measuring cups and spoons with the sizes etched into the handles. I've been wanting these for years.

I ordered from a local kitchen supply store to give them some business.

I also ordered a new stainless steel strainer, and an instant meat thermometer while I was at it. Ive been wanting these also for some time. Blowing that dough again.

I'm still hesitating on ordering up a new garage and truck. Hopefully that will happen too.

Take care, JP
If you are that much into cooking, check out the sister site of this. DiscussCooking.com. DW is very active there and I have been the beneficiary of many of their recipes and suggestions. That is also the reason my screen name is Souschef
Old 05-13-2020, 02:40 PM   #249

Regarding my comment at the end of my recent post:

My comment:

I might need a good talking to, by the Zen Master of blowing that dough (Robbie himself).

I spent a chunk on a snowbird townhome in FL, and my stash dropped about 15% in the recent market activity. I will be fine, but it has affected my blow that dough spending mojo.

My brother tells me that I'm going to be the favorite uncle when I kick over without spending any of my retirement money.
That is motivation.

Note: Nieces and nephews struggle to even say hi to any of their aunts and uncles during family holidays. They are getting a little better now that they are no longer cool teenagers.

Take care, JP
Old 05-13-2020, 02:50 PM   #250

Thanks Souschef. I will check that site out.

I'm a total amateur, but I love eating good food, and I seem to enjoy trying to create good food.

I also bring leftovers to my two aunts, and several friends. Nobody seems to object to eating good food. Maybe they throw it in the trash when I leave, but I suspect not .

PS: having a few drinks prior to a good meal is also one of life's great pleasures.

JP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
If you are that much into cooking, check out the sister site of this. DiscussCooking.com. DW is very active there and I have been the beneficiary of many of their recipes and suggestions. That is also the reason my screen name is Souschef
Old 05-14-2020, 03:17 PM   #251

IMG_1937.JPG

Bought house in July, it’s been under renovation since Nov (full gut & addition)...first thing we did was buy a dock, and now we added the boat 🥰[emoji41][emoji106]
Old 05-14-2020, 08:48 PM   #252
Moderator Emeritus

^ very nice! And an excellent way to blow some dough!
Old 05-14-2020, 08:54 PM   #253
Give me a forum ...

That's sweet! Makes me want to get a boat in the water and go fishing -
Old 05-20-2020, 10:30 PM   #254
Give me a forum ...

Ordered up another $300 from Catalina Offshore. Going to eat the last of the Bluefin tuna tomorrow. With 300 minimum you get free overnight shipping -
Old 05-21-2020, 06:20 AM   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Ordered up another $300 from Catalina Offshore. Going to eat the last of the Bluefin tuna tomorrow. With 300 minimum you get free overnight shipping -
so obviously they have a good product, can you tell me what you get mostly? We love us some sushi!
Old 05-21-2020, 08:34 AM   #256
Give me a forum ...

Yeah - that’s the best way to get the best fish. Might have to order me some salmon from Seattle.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:18 PM   #257
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by f35phixer View Post
so obviously they have a good product, can you tell me what you get mostly? We love us some sushi!
Oh yes!

Bluefin tuna for sure and not ahi, get the expensive bluefin

Salmon - all their salmon is wonderful

Yellowtail - imported from Japan, this is the real deal, excellent hamachi
Old 05-21-2020, 12:28 PM   #258
Give me a forum ...

Well, we blew some dough this week. Bought a 2267 sq ft townhouse for our son and his family to entice them to move near us with our grandson. They arranged job transfers, so we pulled the trigger on a place just fifteen minutes away. We close on July or possibly earlier. Paying cash, so no mortgage hassles to deal with.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:06 PM   #259
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2020 View Post
Attachment 35014

Bought house in July, it’s been under renovation since Nov (full gut & addition)...first thing we did was buy a dock, and now we added the boat 🥰[emoji41][emoji106]
Was just talking with DW about replacing our 20' 2001 Bennington with a similar new boat.... problem is that the 2001 is still in really nice shape (you'd think it was 5 years old rather than 19 years old) and runs great... in fact, I just got back from having dinner out on it.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 05-21-2020, 07:25 PM   #260
Give me a forum ...

My boats have all looked like crap and the new one will be no exception. Just some used 20 yr old fiberglass (lasts forever) with a good motor (won't leave me stranded up the river) that I won't mind some dried chicken liver (catfish bait) blood on the gunnels at all. Just mop it twice a year with some river water.

The real expense is the $100/mo slip rent (probably $150 now it's been so long) but I'mma gonna do it! Next on the list after the house is done.
Closed Thread