Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 07:53 PM   #261
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm in between... I want something decent but no need to new or the latest and greatest. We've had some really nice used boats over the years and still never paid $10k for any of them. You can find a lot of good values in used boats.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2020, 08:02 PM   #262
Give me a forum ...

I know. The most expensive boat (and motor) I've owned was $3500.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:29 PM   #263
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just paid the painter $6790. The only other estimate I got was $20,500
Old 05-21-2020, 10:25 PM   #264
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have numerous purchases that have been on hold for about 3-4 months, mostly for our new house we moved into June of 2019. A lot of our older furniture was donated, given away for free, or recycled when we moved to Texas in the Fall of 2018. Some of that furniture has been replaced in the past year. The remainder was planned for replacement this Spring, but that was OBE. Individually, all of these purchases are not exactly "Blow That Dough!" in nature, but the cumulative will easily exceed $10K.

The backyard in the new house is all grass, and we would like to add several ornamental trees/shrubs back there. The main roadblock is the land here is mostly limestone and clay. A *lot* of limestone. In addition, there were some quartz-based stones littered throughout the surface of the lot we chose for the house build. I don't think they encountered solid quartz when building the slab foundation for the house, but the retirement living facilities a half mile away did when they dug down the outline for that community's in-ground pool.

I can't imagine the cost to try and create planting holes for 6-8 ornamental trees/shrubs in the backyard, but if done right it could be one of those "Blow That Dough!" moments. I say "done right" because if left to most landscapers around here, they would dig down just far enough to fit the root ball of the new plants. While this works for most clay and loam soils (amending the soil fill as part of the planting), I'm pretty sure that will not be sufficient for a bunch of 5-15 gallon plants. I'm guessing we'll need a depth at least twice the root ball depth in the containers, assuming it isn't all limestone at that depth. If it is, all bets are off as to how much it will really cost to get this done.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:27 AM   #265

Continuing with the pre-covid remodeling. The painter is working on the new oak stairway with cherry newels and rail.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:16 AM   #266
Moderator Emeritus

Just ordered $550 worth of mulch. Not a lot of dough to blow, but it is a lot of dough for mulch that is just going to be dumped in a pile.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:20 PM   #267
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Just ordered $550 worth of mulch. Not a lot of dough to blow, but it is a lot of dough for mulch that is just going to be dumped in a pile.
Yes but I imagine you will end up with a terrific garden! Every time you walk outside your home and look at whatever you decided to grow in that mulch, you will be glad you spent that money.

I am all for landscaping expenses that keep paying me back with big smiles on my face, even years later. Five years ago I spent over $27K on having my yard completely re-done and re-graded, and the satisfaction that brings me is continual and huge.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:11 PM   #268

I have been doing ZOOM yoga classes in the guest bedroom and decided that the 20+ year old bedspread has outlived its useful life. Ordered a new one from Overstock and the coordinating pillows from Amazon (only place they were available). Less than $200 total but totally unnecessary, so that qualified as BTD in my frugal book.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:36 PM   #269
Give me a forum ...

This is our new garden area, a bed of compacted decomposed granite with irrigation pipes installed. Soon to be occupied by six 6' x 2' x 2' galvanized stock tubs. Elevated for no bending and irrigated with timer.

Gophers will not be eating my crops!
Old 05-22-2020, 02:48 PM   #270

When my camera started acting up recently, I replaced it with a much newer and better one. Then I started buying accessories (lenses, etc.) and found that they added up to nearly the price of the new camera!

But I still think it was worth it. Being home all day, I've been seriously learning all the bells and whistles on the new camera and it has been more fun than I imagined. Can't wait to start traveling again so I can put it to use!
Old 05-26-2020, 10:34 AM   #271
Recycles dryer sheets

Robbie,
RE: Your new raised garden beds:

Wow, that should turn out very nice. Please post pictures of the completed job.

I have an outdoor patio area that I want redesigned. Mostly new plants, but I'm still thinking about it. Now you have me thinking about adding raised garden beds.

Take care, JP
Old 05-26-2020, 11:39 AM   #272

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
This is our new garden area, a bed of compacted decomposed granite with irrigation pipes installed. Soon to be occupied by six 6' x 2' x 2' galvanized stock tubs. Elevated for no bending and irrigated with timer.

Gophers will not be eating my crops!
I miss working with California soil. So easy to deal with in most cases (born and raised in the Central Valley; owned two houses over 32 years in Silicon Valley on what was once orchards).

The soil here in our area of Central Texas is mostly limestone with some clay. If we were to dig down far enough, we might hit solid quartz like they did at the retirement living facility a half mile away.

We would like to have some Crape Myrtle trees/shrubs planted in the backyard lawn area, but I can't imagine the work it would take to make that happen. Very likely a Blow That Dough undertaking.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:18 PM   #273
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
I miss working with California soil. So easy to deal with in most cases (born and raised in the Central Valley; owned two houses over 32 years in Silicon Valley on what was once orchards).

The soil here in our area of Central Texas is mostly limestone with some clay. If we were to dig down far enough, we might hit solid quartz like they did at the retirement living facility a half mile away.

We would like to have some Crape Myrtle trees/shrubs planted in the backyard lawn area, but I can't imagine the work it would take to make that happen. Very likely a Blow That Dough undertaking.
You must be new to Texas. Didn't your real estate agent tell you the everyone living north of Houston needs to have a jack hammer to use as a yard tool? LOL!
Old 05-26-2020, 01:28 PM   #274

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
You must be new to Texas. Didn't your real estate agent tell you the everyone living north of Houston needs to have a jack hammer to use as a yard tool? LOL!
19 months in Texas. One year in the new house. No clue from anyone during that time that gardening had the challenge of poor soil. We saw garden supplies and potted plants everywhere when we first arrived, so we assumed it was manageable. The area from Leander to Liberty Hill is brutal in some sections. Here I was thinking the biggest challenge would be dealing with the extreme summer heat and plant diseases (powdery mildew, black spot, etc.).

It is certainly not going to be cheap getting the soil to be reasonably workable in the yard. Even if we manage to break up the ground and bring in top soil and amendments, there is the issue of disposing of a lot of limestone.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:31 PM   #275
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here I was thinking the biggest challenge would be dealing with the extreme summer heat and plant diseases Texans.
FIFY

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 05-26-2020, 01:48 PM   #276
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
19 months in Texas. One year in the new house. No clue from anyone during that time that gardening had the challenge of poor soil. We saw garden supplies and potted plants everywhere when we first arrived, so we assumed it was manageable. The area from Leander to Liberty Hill is brutal in some sections. Here I was thinking the biggest challenge would be dealing with the extreme summer heat and plant diseases (powdery mildew, black spot, etc.).

It is certainly not going to be cheap getting the soil to be reasonably workable in the yard. Even if we manage to break up the ground and bring in top soil and amendments, there is the issue of disposing of a lot of limestone.
I'm originally from New England so I know rocks (all glacial till back there). But here near Houston, we encounter the Beaumont Clay about a foot down, and then water. No basements here! We are a bit north of Houston so the clay is not too bad and we have some "hills" besides highway overpasses! LOL!
Old 05-26-2020, 02:36 PM   #277
Give me a forum ...

Thanks! We're excited about the "hog trough" garden boxes. I had an an in ground garden there before and stopped when the gophers ate all my plants. Man I had like 6 bell peppers going and went out one day and they were gone. The little thieves pulled them right into the burrrow, they were gone. When I dug down I found the plants underground.

Well now they have to go through 4 inches of compacted granite and some galvanized steel. My landscaper and his crew will be over tomorrow to do the final layout for the concrete contractor. Deck is going to be removed and a patio instead. Deck boards will be reused to make planter boxes around the patio.

In fifteen grand now will be 25 after the concrete work. Irrigation system has 6 valves, all the plants as well as the veggie garden will be self watered with the latest low usage drip method which has proven great as all the plants in the front yard look fine even in this current heat wave.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:46 AM   #278
Full time employment: Posting here.

Put down a deposit on a boat. Im also waiting for a new dock and lift to be installed

I will have more in the boat and dock than many houses Iíve owned. Also more than my plane.

Between boat and home remodeling Iím really blowing that dough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E761821E-4A70-4B7C-B68E-A6B2B74093D7.jpg (567.6 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 0518F92F-A418-4083-9A91-8260557C6F2C.jpg (515.9 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg 27D62B76-6403-48CE-826A-0602074C32FC.jpg (661.9 KB, 76 views)
Old 05-28-2020, 06:21 AM   #279
Recycles dryer sheets

Looks very nice, DM!

I don't know boats since I get very seasick. Is yours a runaround or for fishing or?
Old 05-28-2020, 06:45 AM   #280

$349 for a bottle of whiskey