Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 04:52 AM   #361
gone traveling

I was finally able to sell my 2004 Mustang gt convertible, and bought a 2013 white Mustang with all the options V6 Pony package....averaging 27 mpg, and still runs in the 13s through the 1/4 mile.

A one owner, local car that was really taken care of that I bought for $8500, he took a 2/3 depreciation loss in 7 years.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2020, 09:41 AM   #362
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
Just wrote a check for $142,571 for 2019 Federal Taxes. Does that count as blowing dough? (I had safe harbor, so no penalties or interest)
Would be an honor and privilege to write that kind of tax check.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:22 AM   #363
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
You may want to do a Roth conversion since you don't need to take an RMD.
That's in the plan for this year, right at the end.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:44 AM   #364
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHaloFIRE View Post
Would be an honor and privilege to write that kind of tax check.
It was neither an honor nor a privilege. It was required by law and I simply complied.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:21 AM   #365
Gone but not forgotten

Sorry that was supposed to be in a different thread
Old 07-14-2020, 02:49 PM   #366
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Well you just made me feel like our giant payment is not so large anymore.

I'm trying to figure out the safe harbor, and unless this payment is just the tip of an iceberg. I can only guess that in the previous year you were nearly tax free, did tiny estimated payments to 110% of 2018 taxes.
Waiting until the end to pay the full bill.

Maybe there are other safe harbor reasons I'm not knowing
Never mind.
Due to another thread, I know the reason, or at least can guess.

It was basically the same for me, on a much much smaller scale.
Old 07-15-2020, 06:19 AM   #367
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Bought some Uline shelves for our new bodega, 12 feet tall so ordered 7 feet shelves by 10 feet and 30 " deep. Also a smaller unit on wheels to get stuff from the car.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:03 AM   #368
Give me a forum ...

Just bought (Leased) a new 2020 VW Tiguan SEL 4 Motion. My shortlist contenders were: The Tiguan, BMW x3 and Audi Q3. The Tiguan won and I am certainly NOT disappointed.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:35 PM   #369

I'm retired but my wife still works - not sure if I'm "qualified" to post in this thread.

Since our travel plans have taken a hit due to Covid, we thought we'd spoil ourselves some other way. For starters:

- Bought a new MacBook Pro Retina 15" for my wife - a nice upgrade to the one it replaced

- Bought a couple of nicely marbled Wagyu ribeye steaks (American, non-Kobe - We'll eventually take a trip to Japan and experience the Kobe A5 steaks at some point in the future)

- Bought an Oculus Quest VR headset
Old 07-26-2020, 10:12 AM   #370

Since it would not appear we will be traveling anytime soon, we decided to go ahead and remodel our three and a half baths instead, the last bit of our home that needs updating from our move in 2017. It's a 1980's home that still had the original builders grade elements in place after 30+ years. The footprints are all good, fortunately, and the fixtures have all been upgraded by us already, as has the plumbing, so that will help with keeping a lid on costs. Excited about installing marble countertops among other things.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:17 PM   #371
Recycles dryer sheets

I went to the Herb and Spice store to p/u five items. Something happened on the way home and I have six new dining chairs. I’m pleased with the purchase. They were needed.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:52 PM   #372
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethT View Post
Excited about installing marble countertops among other things.
Azerocare marble is the only marble to consider.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:34 PM   #373

Five weeks in Alaska was amazing. No crowds, although we felt sorry for the tourist related businesses.... Did our part by spending more than we normally would via float plane flights and private boat excursions, as our big trips for the year aren't going to happen in 2020--and maybe not even in 2021.

(Unfortunately, even with mandatory testing to enter state, the virus is doing what viruses do and they are starting to have enough cases to worry them. don't know how much longer tourism is going to be an option this summer.)
Old 08-11-2020, 01:22 PM   #374
Recycles dryer sheets

We just blew $7400 on replacement windows. Not a bad price (10 windows total) and a decent transferable warranty. These are for the back of the house, as we just finished paying off the ones we replaced on the front of the house. We have the cash on hand, but actually took 24 months at 0% because we can.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:20 AM   #375
Recycles dryer sheets

$3.5K on vet bills for the old dog.

$3.5K on new suspension for the old SUV.

$2K on ski season passes for next year (although this is mandatory spending, not discretionary, and saves us lots of money over the year compared to buying daily lift tickets.)
Old 08-13-2020, 09:40 AM   #376
Give me a forum ...

The original plan to blow that dough was a trip to Las Vegas to celebrate my first SS deposit in January. That fell flat and didn't bounce once....

So, we bought an upright freezer and dh obtained various tools, gizmos and gadgets. Later on we had a carport built over our driveway, purchased flooring for the garage then replaced the garage door. In a couple of weeks dh will receive his La-Z-Boy recliner (thanks for the info W2R ).

I'm considering replacing our 36 yo wall oven. Ok, so the self cleaning doesn't work, neither does the clock or timer, but it still bakes well.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:47 AM   #377

New stamped stained driveway, apron, part of sidewalk and walkway is being poured today. That will run about $12k.

We are now shopping for a new front door for an English Tudor and a side door. I'm a bit shell shocked at the cost. I've been studying this site to learn what a front door of a Tudor should look like. I would love to have one custom made, but I would need to supply drawings with exact measurements. I guess I would need to hire an architect to help.

Tudor Artisans - Example Doors
Old 08-13-2020, 11:03 AM   #378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
New stamped stained driveway, apron, part of sidewalk and walkway is being poured today. That will run about $12k.

We are now shopping for a new front door for an English Tudor and a side door. I'm a bit shell shocked at the cost. I've been studying this site to learn what a front door of a Tudor should look like. I would love to have one custom made, but I would need to supply drawings with exact measurements. I guess I would need to hire an architect to help.

Tudor Artisans - Example Doors
Wow, an architect just to design the door and then custom construction: that DOES sound pricey..... blow that dough....
Old 08-13-2020, 11:31 AM   #379

Spilled a full coffee on my laptop a few weeks ago and tried everything to fix it. No luck.
Looking for a 6-800 dollar replacement right now. $700

Have a mini split A/C unit being delivered tomorrow. Even though we are at 1300 foot elevation in NH we finally are caving in to A/C . We both don't like the heat and especially the humidity. Supposed to be real quiet and energy efficient. $700.
Spent several hundred on the new pup in the last few weeks. New crates, beds harnesses toys etc. $500

Need new glasses. $600

Wife just told me she doesn't like the roman shades any more. $?

Finishing up my total bathroom /laundry room gut job. Maybe another $500 to go.
Thinking of redoing the entire kitchen. Rut Roh.

Guess that's enough for now.
Old 08-13-2020, 04:12 PM   #380

DW was ready to replace her 8 year old Pathfinder. Sold it private for about $2k more than trade-in.

Sooo, we are now the proud owners of the most expensive vehicle we have ever bought. A 2020 Lexus 350 RX. I am pretty sure it will take another 10 years to figure out all the functions. Oh well, it is what she wanted, and we CAN afford it.

Meanwhile, my 2012 basic Altima is still my ride for a while. (But I have thrown out the idea of buying a Tesla in a year or two)

FWIW, even with the car purchase we will be under 4% WR for the year.
Closed Thread