Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2020, 06:55 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Removing some trees , cement slab in front of barn and a slab for another smaller garage. Next year build the garage . This years cement work around 7K
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2020, 09:52 AM   #22
gone traveling

Not this year, but 12-31-19, we took the DD, and SIL out to Japan West restaurant where they hibachi in front of you. I actually thought of the thread about what level I was claiming to be when the bill came to $231, and an additional $40 for tip for a wonderful meal. I paid it, and didn't flinch, but can't seem to not be concerned with vacation expenses of our upcoming Jamaica trip.....Level 3 mastered, level 4 not so much !
Old 01-05-2020, 01:04 AM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado

Rented a Porsche Panamera GTS for a couple of days to have some fun in. Itís got solid power, but itís surprisingly heavy in its handling. Renting sports cars occasionally is a lot cheaper than owning them.
Old 01-05-2020, 06:07 AM   #24

On top of the deck project that got delayed from last year to this year, and the new project to replace the main floor stairway, we just signed to replace the 40 year old front bow window with a new bay window.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:13 AM   #25

We are renting a 3 bedroom condo in Palm Springs for 10 weeks in less than 2 weeks. Friends and family are flying in at different times to stay with us.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:03 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Seychelles...Madagascar....Mauritius....South Africa

When friends invited us to join them I had to consult a map . Luckily we had miles enough for business class.

Trip of a lifetime! Canít believe that we are in a place where we have both time and money for something like this.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:52 AM   #27
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
We are renting a 3 bedroom condo in Palm Springs for 10 weeks in less than 2 weeks. Friends and family are flying in at different times to stay with us.
That sounds wonderful, and relaxing...having family, and friends visiting for short periods...no house cleaning !
Old 01-06-2020, 07:18 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Decided to detour through Las Vegas for a few days on our Illinois - Arizona road trip, and take in a Rod Stewart concert.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:49 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I gave myself a Christmas present by joining the local wine store's Red Wine Club. Two bottles of wine a month, and a complimentary wine tasting a month for two people. (A great way to impress a lady with my breeding, culture and savoir faire.) $50 bucks a month. The wine store is also home to a very nice crowd of people who go there for the music and tasting events.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:10 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Today I went to the Lazy Boy store and ordered a new lift recliner. It's similar to the one in the attached photo, but brown. The bottom line including taxes and delivery was $2,175, almost four times as much as the cheapie lift recliner I got off of Amazon last summer. The latter served its function but is now falling apart so I am replacing it with a better one. Still, I learned from the cheapie that I actually do like recliners, and what features I particularly value, so it was a good "starter recliner".

F says the Lazy Boy that I selected is much, much more sturdy than the Amazon cheapie and should last a long time. It has all the features that I wanted! Electronic controls, two motors, battery backup, and lots of variety in position (feet go way up, back goes way down, etc), heat, massage, and so many features. It does everything imaginable. Although I would have preferred leather, that was not an option so I will just have to learn to live with cloth.

I got the lift function too, since I still don't know if I will have knee replacement surgery on my other knee or not. The lift function on my cheapie recliner was a life saver right after my first knee surgery last August. Right now I would subjectively guess less than a 25% chance that I will need the other knee done, but my surgeon says the x-rays of that knee look terrible so we'll see. If I need to have it done, I'll be fine with this recliner for recovery. And if the recliner lasts until I am very old, I'll like having the lift function then, too.

BLOW THAT DOUGH!!! This is something that I really wanted and will enjoy for years, so I didn't even try to bargain and I don't have the slightest remorse. As far as "experiences, not things", I should point out that even though a recliner is a thing, still, napping blissfully in a good recliner is a great experience.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (16.5 KB, 520 views)
Old 01-07-2020, 07:34 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Oh yeah. I love my Lazy Boys. 30 minutes until snore.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:44 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Comfortable furniture is very important. I don’t consider that things.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:49 PM   #33

^^^

A Lazy Boy is a GREAT way to blow some dough!
Old 01-07-2020, 08:02 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post
^^^

+1
Old 01-07-2020, 09:29 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Oh yeah. I love my Lazy Boys. 30 minutes until snore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Comfortable furniture is very important. I don’t consider that things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post
^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
+1
Thanks, RobbieB, Teacher Terry, MarieIG, and Ronstar!! I agree completely with all of your posts and I am so thrilled with my new purchase! Can't wait.

It is going to be delivered in 6-8 weeks so I'm really looking forward to it.

Should be interesting - - 6 to 8 weeks makes it between February 18th and March 3rd. Mardi Gras is February 25th, and I live half a block from one of the biggest parade routes in New Orleans - - so due to the crowds it is nearly impossible to get to my house during the week before Mardi Gras. I hope the poor delivery men have enough sense to avoid the parade times and/or deliver during the week after Mardi Gras.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:04 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

New iPhone 11s for the Beautiful Princess and me - $1,800

Wedding planning is proceeding. Fortunately, she's thrifty, but having a second reception in her hometown is definitely BTD. Not even going to think about the final damage......
Old 01-10-2020, 06:19 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Today I went to the Lazy Boy store and ordered a new lift recliner.
One of the reasons why I recently bought a recliner is so that the next time I get a head cold I can sleep / doze in a semi-reclined position, which will help my sinuses drain. I really missed this during my last bout with a head cold a few months ago. I didn't order a top-of-the-line La-Z-Boy, but even the models with fewer features are pretty pricey. I'm enjoying my new recliner so far.

I ordered some math and science DVDs from The Great Courses - more BTD! I was sorely tempted to buy the "Learn French" course, which looks like it delivers a fair amount of French culture in addition to the language. I'll save this for the summer. This course will bring back fond memories of the years I spent living in the South of France. I hope to travel back there someday and see how things have changed over the past couple of decades.
Old 01-10-2020, 06:41 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Remodling master bath, ripping out tub replacing with walk in shower, taking out old shower for a linen closet. This summer a new roof (metal).

We've been doing yearly projects for a few years. This market ride makes it easy.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:29 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post
One of the reasons why I recently bought a recliner is so that the next time I get a head cold I can sleep / doze in a semi-reclined position, which will help my sinuses drain. I really missed this during my last bout with a head cold a few months ago. I didn't order a top-of-the-line La-Z-Boy, but even the models with fewer features are pretty pricey. I'm enjoying my new recliner so far.
So glad to read that you got a new recliner, too, and that you are enjoying it! I never knew that I even liked recliners until this year at age 71. So, for me recliners are a great discovery. You are right; they can be pretty pricey. Blow That Dough!!!

When I am having sinus trouble, as I am right now, it is almost impossible to sleep while lying down in bed. I know exactly what you mean.

I found a photo of mine online with the exact same fabric that I ordered so I'll attach the photo. I find myself daydreaming about it all the time, and I can hardly wait until it is delivered. Who would have guessed that getting a recliner could be so exciting?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg recliner.JPG (35.5 KB, 421 views)
Old 01-10-2020, 11:01 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Who would have guessed that getting a recliner could be so exciting?
Minor 'blow that dough.'

In October, we ordered the same 'recovery chair recliner' that you recommended when you got your knee replacement ... DH looked at the options, decided that it had a lot of the features we'd both like, ... and ordered a matching one for him!

One of the things we liked was that it reclines flat; made it a lot easier to sleep when I couldn't climb into bed post-surgery. (Him having the matching recliner helped through some of those tough nights.)
Closed Thread