Blow That Dough! - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seychelles...Madagascar....Mauritius....South Africa

When friends invited us to join them I had to consult a map ;). Luckily we had miles enough for business class.

Trip of a lifetime! Can’t believe that we are in a place where we have both time and money for something like this.

We are renting a 3 bedroom condo in Palm Springs for 10 weeks in less than 2 weeks. Friends and family are flying in at different times to stay with us.

That sounds wonderful, and relaxing...having family, and friends visiting for short periods...no house cleaning !

Decided to detour through Las Vegas for a few days on our Illinois - Arizona road trip, and take in a Rod Stewart concert.

I gave myself a Christmas present by joining the local wine store's Red Wine Club. Two bottles of wine a month, and a complimentary wine tasting a month for two people. (A great way to impress a lady with my breeding, culture and savoir faire.) $50 bucks a month. The wine store is also home to a very nice crowd of people who go there for the music and tasting events.

Last edited:
Today I went to the Lazy Boy store and ordered a new lift recliner. :dance: It's similar to the one in the attached photo, but brown. The bottom line including taxes and delivery was $2,175, :eek: almost four times as much as the cheapie lift recliner I got off of Amazon last summer. The latter served its function but is now falling apart so I am replacing it with a better one. Still, I learned from the cheapie that I actually do like recliners, and what features I particularly value, so it was a good "starter recliner".

F says the Lazy Boy that I selected is much, much more sturdy than the Amazon cheapie and should last a long time. It has all the features that I wanted! Electronic controls, two motors, battery backup, and lots of variety in position (feet go way up, back goes way down, etc), heat, massage, and so many features. It does everything imaginable. Although I would have preferred leather, that was not an option so I will just have to learn to live with cloth.

I got the lift function too, since I still don't know if I will have knee replacement surgery on my other knee or not. The lift function on my cheapie recliner was a life saver right after my first knee surgery last August. Right now I would subjectively guess less than a 25% chance that I will need the other knee done, but my surgeon says the x-rays of that knee look terrible so we'll see. If I need to have it done, I'll be fine with this recliner for recovery. And if the recliner lasts until I am very old, I'll like having the lift function then, too.

BLOW THAT DOUGH!!! :D This is something that I really wanted and will enjoy for years, so I didn't even try to bargain and I don't have the slightest remorse. As far as "experiences, not things", I should point out that even though a recliner is a thing, still, napping blissfully in a good recliner is a great experience.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 526
Oh yeah. I love my Lazy Boys. 30 minutes until snore.

Comfortable furniture is very important. I don’t consider that things.

^^^

A Lazy Boy is a GREAT way to blow some dough!

Oh yeah. I love my Lazy Boys. 30 minutes until snore.
Comfortable furniture is very important. I don’t consider that things.
^^^

A Lazy Boy is a GREAT way to blow some dough!

Thanks, RobbieB, Teacher Terry, MarieIG, and Ronstar!! I agree completely with all of your posts and I am so thrilled with my new purchase! Can't wait.

It is going to be delivered in 6-8 weeks so I'm really looking forward to it. :D:dance:

Should be interesting - - 6 to 8 weeks makes it between February 18th and March 3rd. Mardi Gras is February 25th, and I live half a block from one of the biggest parade routes in New Orleans - - so due to the crowds it is nearly impossible to get to my house during the week before Mardi Gras. I hope the poor delivery men have enough sense to avoid the parade times and/or deliver during the week after Mardi Gras. :ROFLMAO:

New iPhone 11s for the Beautiful Princess and me - $1,800

Wedding planning is proceeding. Fortunately, she's thrifty, but having a second reception in her hometown is definitely BTD. Not even going to think about the final damage......

Today I went to the Lazy Boy store and ordered a new lift recliner. :dance:

One of the reasons why I recently bought a recliner is so that the next time I get a head cold I can sleep / doze in a semi-reclined position, which will help my sinuses drain. I really missed this during my last bout with a head cold a few months ago. I didn't order a top-of-the-line La-Z-Boy, but even the models with fewer features are pretty pricey. I'm enjoying my new recliner so far. :)

I ordered some math and science DVDs from The Great Courses - more BTD! I was sorely tempted to buy the "Learn French" course, which looks like it delivers a fair amount of French culture in addition to the language. I'll save this for the summer. This course will bring back fond memories of the years I spent living in the South of France. I hope to travel back there someday and see how things have changed over the past couple of decades. :popcorn:

Remodling master bath, ripping out tub replacing with walk in shower, taking out old shower for a linen closet. This summer a new roof (metal).

We've been doing yearly projects for a few years. This market ride makes it easy.

One of the reasons why I recently bought a recliner is so that the next time I get a head cold I can sleep / doze in a semi-reclined position, which will help my sinuses drain. I really missed this during my last bout with a head cold a few months ago. I didn't order a top-of-the-line La-Z-Boy, but even the models with fewer features are pretty pricey. I'm enjoying my new recliner so far. :)
So glad to read that you got a new recliner, too, and that you are enjoying it! I never knew that I even liked recliners until this year at age 71. So, for me recliners are a great discovery. You are right; they can be pretty pricey. Blow That Dough!!! :D

When I am having sinus trouble, as I am right now, it is almost impossible to sleep while lying down in bed. I know exactly what you mean.

I found a photo of mine online with the exact same fabric that I ordered so I'll attach the photo. I find myself daydreaming about it all the time, and I can hardly wait until it is delivered. Who would have guessed that getting a recliner could be so exciting? :LOL:

Attachments

• recliner.JPG
    recliner.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 427
Who would have guessed that getting a recliner could be so exciting? :LOL:

Minor 'blow that dough.'

In October, we ordered the same 'recovery chair recliner' that you recommended when you got your knee replacement ... DH looked at the options, decided that it had a lot of the features we'd both like, ... and ordered a matching one for him!

One of the things we liked was that it reclines flat; made it a lot easier to sleep when I couldn't climb into bed post-surgery. (Him having the matching recliner helped through some of those tough nights.)

Minor 'blow that dough.'

In October, we ordered the same 'recovery chair recliner' that you recommended when you got your knee replacement ... DH looked at the options, decided that it had a lot of the features we'd both like, ... and ordered a matching one for him!

One of the things we liked was that it reclines flat; made it a lot easier to sleep when I couldn't climb into bed post-surgery. (Him having the matching recliner helped through some of those tough nights.)

I loved that recliner, and I am glad you and your DH do also! If you are reasonably gentle with it (which I wasn't), and it doesn't break after a few months like mine did, I think it is perfect. :)

throw the razor out

Retirement is about freedom. You've had to shave every day of your adult life... now you don't. Sure you will look old. Remember: with age come wisdom. Just keep your mouth shut, and you will have everyone fooled.

Someone dented and scraped our relatively new SUV.
The paint process is a 4 step process, so will fork over 2k for the fix and paint.

Closed out 2019 with a $10K sewer line repair. Woo hoo, living the high life! :dance:

Still using just one blade a month and replacing it on the first shave of the month. That might be a hard habit to break.

razor blades are $3.75 at the navy exchange. I save so much money on I bought a 82inch led tv. big dollars, but not as big as the 12 string, 12 fret Taylor guitar I bought in November '19. Taylor 564.

Last edited:
Now that the pooches are gone I donated the fencing to a coworker. Got a nice banana bread as payment. Taking the cedar shakes off the beach gazebo. Replacing with a nice metal roof. Estimate 2-3K. New trim, siding and garage door on original garage to match the new house. Estimate 7-8K. Yearly update of baseball (umpire) and volleyball (referee) uniforms. $250. Trying to make Robbie proud.

I learned from Clark Howard to extend razor blade life by blow drying it after each use. My disposables last 3 months now, shaving weekly before church.

Still 10 years from retirement here, but I feel I have saved enough that it should grow on its own sufficiently to be FI by then. So this is a year of blowing dough. So far this year I've paid for 1 week in Jamaica, 3.5 weeks in Australia and NZ, bought a new La-z-boy couch and paid off the last 10k on my mortgage.

WOOHOOOOO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom