Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 04:58 PM   #381
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We are blowing dough not in a way we would choose. My husband broke his ankle and had surgery with a metal plate and screws. Our part to the hospital is 4500. There will be more going out to doctors, etc.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2020, 05:49 PM   #382
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnski1 View Post
Need new glasses. $600
I started buying cheap glasses on The Internet. I bought so many that the DW finally had to say "DON'T BUY ANY MORE CHEAP GLASSES ON THE INTERNET". It's addictive. I don't know how complex your prescription is, but if you can get away with bifocals from Zenni they run about $40/pair depending on what frame you choose. I haven't had any luck with progressives, so I prefer bifocals anyways.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:57 PM   #383
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by music-and-ski View Post
..... $2K on ski season passes for next year (although this is mandatory spending, not discretionary, and saves us lots of money over the year compared to buying daily lift tickets.)
My season pass will be $20 this year (not exactly a Blow That Dough! move). I don't know how COVID will impact skiing so I will settle for the Monarch Ski area here in Colorado. It used to be free for us geezers over 69, but now they charge an administrative fee. It is pretty nice skiing for a smaller area.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:57 PM   #384
Moderator Emeritus

Just ordered a new camera lens.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:04 PM   #385

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I'm considering replacing our 36 yo wall oven. Ok, so the self cleaning doesn't work, neither does the clock or timer, but it still bakes well.
If our experience is typical, try to avoid a wall oven with a touch screen control panel. We moved into our new house a little over a year ago that has a Whirlpool touch screen wall oven. Pain in the rear. Touch screen sensitivity is all over the map. Beyond that, the clock on the oven gains a minute every 4-5 days with no way to slow it down. For the life of me, I'm still trying to figure out why the oven needs a date field.

We're thinking about blowing the dough on replacing the wall oven with one that has touch button (not screen) controls. The one hesitation is that the oven cooks well for our needs.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:37 PM   #386
Full time employment: Posting here.

This is a month of blowing that dough for us. Lots of projects all coming to fruition in one month. Sanding and repainting all windows and doors, building an outdoor shower, replacing our kitchen flooring with tile and drilling a well. Would be great to get through August and then have a moratorium on spending for a long time!!

All were planned expenses and have been in the plans for the last year, except the shower, but it’s still a lot at once!
Old 08-13-2020, 08:34 PM   #387
Dryer sheet aficionado

We bought two Teslas this year. 2017 Tesla Model S and Model Y. Couldn’t be happier!
Old 08-14-2020, 09:22 AM   #388
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoghat View Post
We bought two Teslas this year. 2017 Tesla Model S and Model Y. Couldn’t be happier!
Nice

I bought a Model Y Performance. It's now a unicorn as you can't get this configuration anymore. After dropping 60k+ I dropped another 5k on accessories.

Blow that dough!
Old 08-14-2020, 09:24 AM   #389
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
If our experience is typical, try to avoid a wall oven with a touch screen control panel. We moved into our new house a little over a year ago that has a Whirlpool touch screen wall oven. Pain in the rear. Touch screen sensitivity is all over the map. Beyond that, the clock on the oven gains a minute every 4-5 days with no way to slow it down. For the life of me, I'm still trying to figure out why the oven needs a date field.

We're thinking about blowing the dough on replacing the wall oven with one that has touch button (not screen) controls. The one hesitation is that the oven cooks well for our needs.
Thank you so much for the tip! I will stay clear of a touch screen.

A couple of years ago, I had to replace my 20 yo washer. The first one I was shown almost looked like a space ship to me. I told the salesman he needed to 'dumb it down a bit'. It's almost impossible to get 'simple' these daze.....
Old 08-14-2020, 09:50 AM   #390

Quote:
Originally Posted by music-and-ski View Post
I started buying cheap glasses on The Internet. I bought so many that the DW finally had to say "DON'T BUY ANY MORE CHEAP GLASSES ON THE INTERNET". It's addictive. I don't know how complex your prescription is, but if you can get away with bifocals from Zenni they run about $40/pair depending on what frame you choose. I haven't had any luck with progressives, so I prefer bifocals anyways.

Yeah I had just bought some Zennis a month ago from a year old prescription and of course I went to the doctor and I need a stronger prescription. The $600 price is from my eye doctor/ optician office. I may try Zenni again. The ones I just bought ran me $250 because I got the lighter weight lenses, progressives, transition lenses etc but they seem fine.
Old 08-17-2020, 03:48 PM   #391

Today is demo day. Gutting and re-modeling all four bathrooms . . . two upstairs, two downstairs. Starting with one up and one down. Will finish those and then move onto the other two. Budget is $50K.
Butt-flushing toilets
Old 08-17-2020, 03:54 PM   #392
gone traveling

Butt-flushing toilets

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtig View Post
Today is demo day. Gutting and re-modeling all four bathrooms . . . two upstairs, two downstairs. Starting with one up and one down. Will finish those and then move onto the other two. Budget is $50K.
Be sure to put electrical outlets behind each toilet.
You can thank me later.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:44 PM   #393

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Be sure to put electrical outlets behind each toilet.

You can thank me later.

Ok. Thanks. Got one already in the master bath. But, no plans to add in the other three. Just DW and me in the house. Love the bidet.
Old 08-18-2020, 07:40 AM   #394
Administrator

Yesterday, we bought a new wall clock after one of ours broke about a month ago AND bought a new outside thermometer to replace the one that broke 10 years ago. We also went out to eat for lunch. The money is flying out of here so fast it takes my breath away!
Old 08-18-2020, 07:46 AM   #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtig View Post
50k for 4 bathrooms. Are you DIYing? That's nowhere near the estimates I'm getting on just 2. Not lavish just updating
Old 08-18-2020, 11:04 AM   #396

It's almost time for our DIL to start the application to renew her green card. Her original one was issued just BEFORE their two year wedding anniversary so it was just for two years instead of ten years. The renewal will be for ten years.

We told our son and DIL we'd like to pay for it and they were stunned and thrilled. Our son's employer closed for a while for Covid-19 and while they are back and ongoing he's not getting any of the bonuses that he used to get. So they are living lean.

I remember being a young family on one income. Some big expense would come up and it would be hard to save. My parents would help us for a specific thing every once in a while and we like to do this for our kids, too.

For us, this is not a lot of money. It felt very good to give this to them.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:13 AM   #397

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Thank you so much for the tip! I will stay clear of a touch screen.
If you do decide on one of the touch screen models, see if you can demo it first. We had no choice, it was part of our house build's built-in appliance list and, quite frankly, wasn't even on our checklist of concerns with the house build (not a custom house).

We just find it very touchy (no pun intended). You can touch the screen several times before it moves to the next sub-screen. Sometimes, you can get it on the first attempt. Funny thing is if we drape a kitchen towel over the door bar that sits right below the touch screen, that almost always turns on the screen.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:15 AM   #398
Give me a forum ...

Many Californians are blowing dough on ESS (Energy Storage System) battery.

This will prove to be money well-spent when there are rolling blackouts like just a few days ago when there was not enough power generation to satisfy demand during the heat spell. And when the wind picks up, there will be PSPS (Public Safety Power Shutoff) like what was done last year to prevent wild fire caused by sagging power lines.

I am not in California, but I have been expanding my DIY solar system for fun. The payback with a smaller electric bill is of course an enticement, and the thought of not having to bail out of town in case of a power outage is a big plus.

Will not finish install all the new additional hardware until it gets cooler, but I am already thinking of getting more solar panels and lithium battery. More, more, more...
Old 08-18-2020, 02:22 PM   #399

Dock and lift are in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7B5F8741-27AC-4E22-BF47-2352D0CA92CA.jpg (744.1 KB, 43 views)
Old 08-18-2020, 02:25 PM   #400

House remodel is winding down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5ADE1959-3B75-44C4-8F9B-1C30F02A947E.jpg (444.9 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg 626DF054-473E-41A3-AC1F-AC429DACDDA0.jpg (458.3 KB, 54 views)
Closed Thread