Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2020, 08:04 AM   #401
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bought an inflatable hot tub for the 3 season room. It's actually nicer than I expected.
Not much of a splurge. In the before times I saw deals for $300 post Covid they were up to $700. When it dropped back to $400 I finally bought it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2020, 08:24 AM   #402
Dryer sheet wannabe

Sounds like fun - it's still plenty hot here and will be until November so I am thinking of installing a nice outdoor shower.
Old 09-03-2020, 10:59 AM   #403

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
Bought an inflatable hot tub for the 3 season room. It's actually nicer than I expected.
Not much of a splurge. In the before times I saw deals for $300 post Covid they were up to $700. When it dropped back to $400 I finally bought it.
I didn't know such a thing even existed! Interesting.
Old 09-03-2020, 11:08 AM   #404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom2021 View Post
Sounds like fun - it's still plenty hot here and will be until November so I am thinking of installing a nice outdoor shower.
I wish the summer here was longer. There is something special about feeling water on your body outdoors IMO.

I usually go swimming at an outdoor swimming pool a few times during summer, but not this summer due to COVID. I thought about getting a tiny inflatable pool and put it in the backyard but it was already in the middle of August when I thought about it, so I opted not to. All I want is a bathtub outdoors and just look up, as my favourite thing to do when I go swimming is to just float on my back and gaze at the sky. Feeling cool water around me with my face being warmed by the sunlight while I look up to the blue sky makes me happy.

I think you'll enjoy an outdoor shower. We don't have one, but a friend of mine who lives in California does, and he says he uses it almost every day. He loves it.
Old 09-04-2020, 11:35 AM   #405

We bought a 2020 Subaru Ascent Premium yesterday. Not quite new - 3400 miles (dealer demo/loaner). First new car in 10+ years. Drives very nicely. Our first Subaru ever.
Old 09-04-2020, 01:20 PM   #406
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
My son in law bought one for my daughters Christmas 4 years ago, he's very imaginative with his gifts, They absolutely love it and still use it both in the summer and Winter (California). I think the brand is Intex and it still looks like new even though it's outside. He paid less than $300 at the end of the season. Costs them about $100 a month to keep it warm all the time.
Old 09-04-2020, 01:56 PM   #407
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Enjoyed a nice Bluefin Toro (from Catalina) sashimi supper. Delicious and at $10/oz it should be -
Old 09-07-2020, 08:42 AM   #408

Bought a Fresh Roast coffee roaster and a couple of pounds of green coffee from Amazon. It took several small prototype runs to get a decent roast. Also, the first bag of beans was just terrible. Started the second bag today. Seems decent so far.

Planning to order a sampler set of green coffee from a reputable place alike Sweet Maria’s, but was in a hurry so took chance on random next day Amazon.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:47 AM   #409

Purchased, 20 pounds of Filet Minion Prime. (On Sale)
Old 09-08-2020, 04:25 PM   #410

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndLovingIt View Post
My son in law bought one for my daughters Christmas 4 years ago, he's very imaginative with his gifts, They absolutely love it and still use it both in the summer and Winter (California). I think the brand is Intex and it still looks like new even though it's outside. He paid less than $300 at the end of the season. Costs them about $100 a month to keep it warm all the time.
It looks sturdy. Hope it lasts that long.
Also hope it doesn't cost that much to heat. The 3 season room gets to mid 80s until December so thinking that will cut the cost. I'll put it in storage December thru March as it says don't operate in temps under 40.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:40 PM   #411
Give me a forum ...

I placed a big gourmet duck order from a New England company. Overnight shipping cost was surprisingly low. Then I find out they have a warehouse less than an hour away! No wonder!

More smoked duck for us! This time I’m trying the larger Moulard duck breasts. This is a classic French breed/cross typical of southern France a.k.a magret (de canard).
Old 09-08-2020, 07:50 PM   #412
Administrator

Do you mind sharing the company? I have not had a good magret in quite some time.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:53 PM   #413
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBear View Post
Bought a Fresh Roast coffee roaster and a couple of pounds of green coffee from Amazon. It took several small prototype runs to get a decent roast. Also, the first bag of beans was just terrible. Started the second bag today. Seems decent so far.

Planning to order a sampler set of green coffee from a reputable place alike Sweet Maria’s, but was in a hurry so took chance on random next day Amazon.
I had great luck with a tiny hot air roaster and green beans from Sweet Maria’s. I think I took it to the second crack then counted some number. It’s been a long while, but I did it for several years. Was the best coffee ever.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:55 PM   #414
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Do you mind sharing the company? I have not had a good magret in quite some time.
D’Artagnan. I think they also have a distribution center in Houston.
US raised https://www.dartagnan.com/buy/duck/?...n=1&source=pdp
Old 09-09-2020, 03:12 PM   #415
Moderator Emeritus

This normally wouldn't be considered a BTD item, but....

I just ordered a new Dell laptop to replace my present (very similar) laptop because the keyboard cratered. I had only had it for 25 months, but that was 25 months of nearly constant, brutally hard, careless wear; this morning it "gave up the ghost" and became inoperable.

Frank uses a USB keyboard for his laptops, because he prefers them. I don't! I hate them and I like the keyboard that comes with the laptop. And I want it to work but it doesn't.

Contributing to my decision to buy a new laptop, is the fact that more than almost anything on earth, I love setting up a new laptop and exploring what it can do. I know, that's weird, but I never claimed to be much like other people.

Given that I don't travel or want very many things or experiences, I decided that since I want another laptop so much and can afford it, I should buy it even if other people would not do so. I'm me, and they are them. Throwing all caution to the winds, I pulled the trigger to BLOW THAT DOUGH. It's arriving on Tuesday.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:50 PM   #416
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
This normally wouldn't be considered a BTD item, but....

I just ordered a new Dell laptop to replace my present (very similar) laptop because the keyboard cratered. I had only had it for 25 months, but that was 25 months of nearly constant, brutally hard, careless wear; this morning it "gave up the ghost" and became inoperable.

Frank uses a USB keyboard for his laptops, because he prefers them. I don't! I hate them and I like the keyboard that comes with the laptop. And I want it to work but it doesn't.

Contributing to my decision to buy a new laptop, is the fact that more than almost anything on earth, I love setting up a new laptop and exploring what it can do. I know, that's weird, but I never claimed to be much like other people.

Given that I don't travel or want very many things or experiences, I decided that since I want another laptop so much and can afford it, I should buy it even if other people would not do so. I'm me, and they are them. Throwing all caution to the winds, I pulled the trigger to BLOW THAT DOUGH. It's arriving on Tuesday.
You do know that replacement keyboards can be had for $15? BTD or LBYM?
Old 09-09-2020, 04:02 PM   #417
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
See? Just like I said, others would just use another keyboard.

And just like I said, I'm weird and DON'T WANT TO.....

As for me, I don't want to travel, and I don't want to buy cars, boats, planes, motorcycles, or RV's either, or even a second home. I don't even want to have my kitchen remodeled! But I do want a new laptop. I love the experience of setting up a new laptop, and this gives me a perfect excuse to do so.

My average WR for the past five years has been 1.37% so I can afford it. If this isn't the very definition of BTD, then I give up.
Quote:
I should buy it even if other people would not do so. I'm me, and they are them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrencewendall View Post
You do know that replacement keyboards can be had for $15? BTD or LBYM?
See? Just like I said, others would just use another keyboard.

And just like I said, I'm weird and DON'T WANT TO.....

As for me, I don't want to travel, and I don't want to buy cars, boats, planes, motorcycles, or RV's either, or even a second home. I don't even want to have my kitchen remodeled! But I do want a new laptop. I love the experience of setting up a new laptop, and this gives me a perfect excuse to do so.

My average WR for the past five years has been 1.37% so I can afford it. If this isn't the very definition of BTD, then I give up.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:21 PM   #418
Give me a forum ...

I wouldn't want to use a laptop with a keyboard sitting on top of it.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:33 PM   #419
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I wouldn't want to use a laptop with a keyboard sitting on top of it.
I am doing that right now and it is horrible. My new laptop will arrive on Tuesday (or maybe it could arrive earlier!). When it does arrive, I will give this keyboard back to Frank, who I borrowed it from, in about, oh, maybe 2 seconds.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:42 PM   #420

Quote:
I am doing that right now and it is horrible. My new laptop will arrive on Tuesday (or maybe it could arrive earlier!). When it does arrive, I will give this keyboard back to Frank, who I borrowed it from, in about, oh, maybe 2 seconds.
I think it depends on the keyboard. My keyboard on my Chromebook died and I bought a new Chromebook at the same time I bought this ultraslim, compact keyboard. It feels just like my Chromebook keyboard and I just love it. (The sme size with the same, light, clicking keys.) I returned the newly purchased Chromebook as there was no reason for me to replace my $500 Chromebook with an identical one after I found this keyboard.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Closed Thread