Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 09:36 AM   #621
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I get the overtipping during covid and have dome some of that myself, but will this shift expectations, on both our part and their part, permanently? Will we know when to dial back?
Does it matter if you can afford it?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2020, 10:18 AM   #622
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
If your wife is a serious birder and will still do it for years, then it’s absolutely worth spending $2000-3000 on the best optics. Easily justified by spending many hours of your life out birding.

I had birdied several years and dropped and damaged a very nice pair of Nikons, when I realized that since we were traveling many trips and spending hour birding in exotic locales, it was time to get the best bins. It was one of the best decisions I ever made - the bright, clear, undistorted images gave me a great deal of pleasure. So much easier to find the bird! Great low light performance. Easy on the hand.

FWIW Nikon repaired the damaged bins for free, and they got a new home.
Stop it! I just spent $2500 on my teeth with $8-10k still to come.

Yes she is a reasonably serious amateur and in fact we just did our 29th Audubon Christmas bird count this past weekend.
We are both so frugal that I could never imagine spending $3k on binos but I will definitely consider it and slowly work on her.
Old 12-22-2020, 11:30 AM   #623
Give me a forum ...

What are you saving your money for? What are your priorities?

The Swarovski 8x32 EL bins are “only” $2000 at bhphotovideo.com, a reliable seller.

BTW - I much prefer 8 power for birding - wider field of view, brighter, and most importantly, handshake is not nearly as noticeable.
Old 12-22-2020, 11:58 AM   #624
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have found I can see a lot more detail with my 8x32 images stabLized Canon binoculars than my handheld 10x42 Fujinons. The image stabilization just makes it so much easier to see details.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:04 PM   #625

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnski1 View Post
Wow th

ose look fantastic.
Several years ago i bought my wife a nice pair of Vortex Vipers and I thought those were expensive and blowing the dough at $500.
They are very nice and have a fantastic guarantee for life that covers almost everything and don't even require a receipt.
They are a league behind yours but I had a tough time spending the $500 never mind $3000 even though my wife is a fairly serious birder.

What power did you get?
We prefer the 8 x 42 as a good compromise on field of view and magnification.

I got the 8x42's. I have a pair of 10x42 Nikon Monarch 7's so already had that power. The NL Pures are really amazing. FOV is fantastic.
Old 12-22-2020, 07:22 PM   #626
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Yes she is a reasonably serious amateur and in fact we just did our 29th Audubon Christmas bird count this past weekend.
We are both so frugal that I could never imagine spending $3k on binos but I will definitely consider it and slowly work on her.
What are you saving your money for? What are your priorities?

The Swarovski 8x32 EL bins are “only” $2000 at bhphotovideo.com, a reliable seller.

BTW - I much prefer 8 power for birding - wider field of view, brighter, and most importantly, handshake is not nearly as noticeable.
+1. And this is coming from someone who doesn't do birding, and knows next to nothing about binoculars.

I understand the mental block of spending $$$ for something. But if she enjoys this hobby, and spends many, many hours doing it, then won't she get more pleasure from it with a great set of binoculars?

We often see that cartoon of the businessman passing the grave yard captioned "Time > Money". But if you spend some money (that you have!) to improve your time, that can be the greatest of all.

Well, that's how I justify my recent multi-thousand $ drops on my hobbies. Assuming you can afford it, and it's just a mental block, I say go for it. Life is short. Enjoy.

-ERD50
Old 12-22-2020, 07:50 PM   #627
Give me a forum ...

I gave away my 10 inch Dob, kinda large. Bought a 5 inch Mak for the moon.

But I'm really looking at 4 inch bino's now and 5 inch refractors. Don't tell my wife.

I like optics -
Old 12-22-2020, 07:52 PM   #628
Recycles dryer sheets

I can afford it, and I know things have been tough for my barber. Her income has been cut in half, while mine has gone up. I know she appreciates it.
Quote:
Does it matter if you can afford it?
Old 12-22-2020, 07:56 PM   #629
Give me a forum ...

I always over tip. Spread the wealth. Support the working class.
Old 12-23-2020, 09:14 AM   #630

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
+1. And this is coming from someone who doesn't do birding, and knows next to nothing about binoculars.

I understand the mental block of spending $$$ for something. But if she enjoys this hobby, and spends many, many hours doing it, then won't she get more pleasure from it with a great set of binoculars?

We often see that cartoon of the businessman passing the grave yard captioned "Time > Money". But if you spend some money (that you have!) to improve your time, that can be the greatest of all.

Well, that's how I justify my recent multi-thousand $ drops on my hobbies. Assuming you can afford it, and it's just a mental block, I say go for it. Life is short. Enjoy.

-ERD50
For me, some of the enjoyment using the product can be lost if you don't see the added value or think that you spent too much. Even if you can easily afford it.
Old 12-23-2020, 11:17 AM   #631
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I always over tip. Spread the wealth. Support the working class.
Vinnie Antonelli would be proud of you.
Old 12-24-2020, 07:18 PM   #632
Moderator Emeritus

Not quite the $ amount of most "Blow that Dough" purchases, but I just paid $145 for a brisket.
Old 12-24-2020, 07:21 PM   #633

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Not quite the $ amount of most "Blow that Dough" purchases, but I just paid $145 for a brisket.
And to think it was once a poor man’s piece of meat!
Old 12-24-2020, 07:23 PM   #634

Quote:
If you consider dollars per hour of enjoyment, I'd say that's a pretty big blow.
Old 12-24-2020, 09:51 PM   #635
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Gosh, my 18 pounder from Costco only cost $47, and it was USDA Prime. Did you order from Snake River Farms or something?
Old 12-25-2020, 01:46 AM   #636
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
It is a poor man's piece of meat. I'm poor now after I bought it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
If you consider dollars per hour of enjoyment, I'd say that's a pretty big blow.
Exactly! But when I factor in that I'll be feeding 7 family members on Christmas Day, with some leftovers, it's well worth it. I'm thankful that I can buy a $145 brisket.

Quote:
Gosh, my 18 pounder from Costco only cost $47, and it was USDA Prime. Did you order from Snake River Farms or something?
DW special ordered it from a butcher. But like you, I got one last week for $40 something at the local grocery store. We'll see if this one tastes 4 times better than a store bought.
Old 12-25-2020, 04:18 AM   #637
Give me a forum ...

DH was amazed that the Costco prime brisket was only like $2.36 per pound.

But I think that recent prime brisket was less flavorful than other briskets I’ve done. I’ve had that happen before. I accidentally bought some prime ribeye steaks once instead of my usual HEB “natural Angus”, and they weren’t nearly as flavorful.
Old 12-25-2020, 06:26 AM   #638

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
Apparently so was lobster

https://knowledgenuts.com/lobster-wa...oor-mans-food/

-"Blow that dough"-Robbie

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Old 12-25-2020, 08:05 AM   #639
Administrator

Quote:
DH was amazed that the Costco prime brisket was only like $2.36 per pound.

But I think that recent prime brisket was less flavorful than other briskets I’ve done. I’ve had that happen before. I accidentally bought some prime ribeye steaks once instead of my usual HEB “natural Angus”, and they weren’t nearly as flavorful.
I only ever smoke brisket, which tends to obscure any differences in the underlying meat itself. I smoked a 1.7 lb piece of brisket on Tuesday. So far, we've had brisket street tacos and and brisket and grilled cheese sandwiches. Still a few little crispy pieces leftover in the fridge to snack on today.

I got a 2.5 lb piece of filet mignon at the butcher counter yesterday (special order). We'll cut off and freeze a couple of steaks, but the young wife will use the majority to make chateaubriand for dinner today.
Old 12-25-2020, 08:23 AM   #640
Give me a forum ...

That’s what I did - smoke the brisket. But this last one didn’t quite have as intense a beef flavor as I’m used to. I think because it had a higher fat content.