Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2020, 10:04 AM   #641
Recycles dryer sheets

+1

Just had this discussion with DW over the purchase of Peloton Tread+ treadmill ($4,300 + $39/month). She already uses the app for $13/month and has a spin bike (not Peloton) that is nearly identical in resistance and cadence tracking (bought it at her request).

After a lengthy discussion over weeks and lots of research, we ended up buying another treadmill that isn't tied to Peloton. Unfortunately, she's now hearing about fellow Peloton users that they got a Tread+ for Christmas and she has FOMO. We could easily afford the Peloton Tread+, but 2 months of delivery delay, a bad warranty (only slightly improved recently), expensive repair cost $1,500+) with a delay in parts, and being usable only for Peloton really turned me off.

Maybe I'm getting curmudgeonly in my "old" age, but I still look for value and utility in everything that I buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
For me, some of the enjoyment using the product can be lost if you don't see the added value or think that you spent too much. Even if you can easily afford it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2020, 11:20 AM   #642
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
And chicken wings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
If you consider dollars per hour of enjoyment, I'd say that's a pretty big blow.
That's got to be a good 10 hours of smoking and 10 minutes of eating. So better than a night at the movies.
Old 12-25-2020, 11:39 AM   #643

Good brisket is hard to beat. But for an easy good on the grill option, I'll take a tri tip. Not as popular here in Ohio, but I can find it. Marinade and then cook low heat, longer time on the grill.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
Old 12-25-2020, 11:41 AM   #644
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Love tri-tips!

Once I smoked one to almost rare, then did a quick reverse sear on the gas grill. It came out awesome!
Old 12-25-2020, 12:01 PM   #645
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
And chicken wings...
When I was a kid, we were so poor, I'd be sent to get free chicken wings from the butcher and we ate BBQ chicken wings nearly every night all summer.

It would have been nice if the butcher had lobster as well
Old 12-25-2020, 01:11 PM   #646

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Love tri-tips!

Once I smoked one to almost rare, then did a quick reverse sear on the gas grill. It came out awesome!
I discovered tri-tip while living in California. Yum!

I too want to try smoking it. Gotta get to that this summer.
Old 12-25-2020, 01:19 PM   #647

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
I discovered tri-tip while living in California. Yum!

I too want to try smoking it. Gotta get to that this summer.
Same here. I lived for a while in the central coast area, where "barbecue" pretty much always means tri-tip. Google "Santa Maria barbecue" for detail. Smoking them is also wonderful, and I personally prefer mesquite wood for that.
Old 12-25-2020, 01:32 PM   #648
Give me a forum ...

We spent a lot of time on the Oregon coast when RVing and enjoyed it there. The best was picking up freshly grilled tri-tip from the grocery store parking lot. Ask for medium rare and they’d poke around and find you a soft one. Best sliced beef sandwiches ever!

Fortunately HEB carries the cut down here, so I cook it now and then.

I’d done it several ways, but my last which was to try out smoking and reverse sear was just so delicious.
Old 12-25-2020, 02:11 PM   #649

Quote:
What are you saving your money for? What are your priorities?

The Swarovski 8x32 EL bins are “only” $2000 at bhphotovideo.com, a reliable seller.

BTW - I much prefer 8 power for birding - wider field of view, brighter, and most importantly, handshake is not nearly as noticeable.

Well I just bought her a new Subaru Outback yesterday.
Does that count?
Old 12-25-2020, 02:42 PM   #650

DW gave me some cash in a gift card and told me I had to promise her that I would buy something for myself “and not save it!” She knows me too well.🧑*[emoji319]
Old 12-25-2020, 03:48 PM   #651
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8tr View Post
+1

Just had this discussion with DW over the purchase of Peloton Tread+ treadmill ($4,300 + $39/month). She already uses the app for $13/month and has a spin bike (not Peloton) that is nearly identical in resistance and cadence tracking (bought it at her request).

After a lengthy discussion over weeks and lots of research, we ended up buying another treadmill that isn't tied to Peloton. Unfortunately, she's now hearing about fellow Peloton users that they got a Tread+ for Christmas and she has FOMO. We could easily afford the Peloton Tread+, but 2 months of delivery delay, a bad warranty (only slightly improved recently), expensive repair cost $1,500+) with a delay in parts, and being usable only for Peloton really turned me off.

Maybe I'm getting curmudgeonly in my "old" age, but I still look for value and utility in everything that I buy.
For me it was a guitar...$1700 for a beautiful Walnut acoustic vs. $4000 for a more beautiful Koa acoustic. I could easily afford (and justify) the more expensive guitar as it was to be the one and only acoustic guitar I would ever buy.

In the end I went with the $1700 guitar. They both sounded great but the only added value with the Koa guitar was the nicer looking wood.
Old 12-25-2020, 04:22 PM   #652
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnski1 View Post
Well I just bought her a new Subaru Outback yesterday.
Does that count?
Sure! Way to go!
Old 12-26-2020, 01:01 PM   #653

The other day, I went to my cable company to pick up a new modem. They had phones on display. I picked up the iPhone 12 mini and fell in love. So, guess what I bought today - an iPhone 12 mini. The deal wasn't too bad. The trade in will pay for all but $20 of the early cancelation fee for my current iPhone 11 since I've only had it a year. Plus, there is another credit of $150 for the trad in. So, the $699 phone will cost $549 + $20 + tax.

I mean, what else are you gonna do? It's not like I got a new phone for Christmas

I'm really looking forward to this. I thought I'd be okay with the iPhone 11, but it's just too big. I was very happy with my 6 but I had that for awhile and it was time to upgrade. The 12 mini felt a bit smaller than the 6 but no doubt it's way smaller than the 11.

Now to go blow some dough on a new case and screen protector.
Old 12-26-2020, 01:05 PM   #654

My daughter got me an R/C jet (actually a ducted fan) for Xmas:

But she didn't realize it didn't come with a radio, battery or charger. So had to spend $610 for those bits.

I used to fly R/C airplanes and helicopters a lot, but haven't flown for 10 years. Definitely need to get something a bit tamer to re-learn everything. But is sure looks cool and the ducted fan whines like a jet.
Old 12-26-2020, 04:31 PM   #655
Recycles dryer sheets

A couple of recent purchases:

Panettone which actually tastes good. $68

https://www.thisisfromroy.com/

A knife sharpening system because we have a lot of knives we've collected from all over the world and it was costing a small fortune to ship them off to a knife sharpener we trusted.

https://wickededgeusa.com/
Old 12-26-2020, 04:33 PM   #656

Quote:
Sure! Way to go!

Old 01-09-2021, 07:13 AM   #657
Give me a forum ...

We bought a cabin yesterday
Old 01-09-2021, 07:23 AM   #658
Give me a forum ...

Blowing the Dough in 2021
Old 01-09-2021, 10:15 AM   #659

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Blowing the Dough in 2021
Due to Covid I'll be Blowing 2020's Dough well into 2021.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:58 AM   #660
Administrator

A new year means a new thread, so blow that dough version 2021 continues here https://www.early-retirement.org/for...-a-107327.html
Closed Thread