Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 07:36 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What bike did you add?

Ordered up a pound of fresh bluefin and a pound of mahi-mahi from Catalina today. Gonna make some sushi/sashimi and mahi on the grill.

Only a hundred bucks delivered -
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2020, 06:08 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

On our recent cruise & trip to Florida, we also picked up a diamond pendant, a Swarovski necklace, and a piece of art glass for about $1500 total.
Old 01-31-2020, 04:01 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Booked tickets to Croatia for May. No tours, no set plans. Just us wandering around at our own pace.
Old 01-31-2020, 04:37 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmtree View Post
Booked tickets to Croatia for May. No tours, no set plans. Just us wandering around at our own pace.
We did the same last year. What a great vacation! I'm sure you'll love it. It's so easy to drive on their modern EU funded highways. Not much traffic and so clean. Really enjoyed their National parks; had a great stay and lovely food at an agritourismo kalpic outside the krka park. Add in island hopping on their fast hydrofoil passenger ferries and you'll have a great time!
Old 01-31-2020, 05:27 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Sent our deposit for Brooks Lodge, Katmai National Park for our August 2021 Alaska trip.
Old 01-31-2020, 05:38 PM   #66

Last night I went to see Travis Tritt and had a great time! Had so much fun that I looked up other upcoming events. Celtic Woman is doing a concert near my mom's new house. Called my mom and she was free. Bought tickets. We'll make a weekend of it!
Old 02-02-2020, 09:50 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Just got back from a ski trip in Colorado. Paid extra for first class, though one of the two flights each way had no first class. So it wasn't much more after considering the free checked skis. Another benefit I wasn't expecting was the huge line for check-in at the small CO airport. There was a lot of shouting and arguing about who was in line and people cutting. There was an airport person trying to maintain order. After she put out that fire, I asked if this was the line for United, as it was so long it was hard to tell. She meekly replied Yes, waiting for another rant. I asked if there was a first class line and she brightened up and said Yes, but we'll have to part the Red Sea of coach passengers so follow her. That was probably the best part.
Old 02-02-2020, 02:45 PM   #68
Dryer sheet aficionado

We're way ahead of our 2021 FIRE plan so decided we can start a BTD plan.

Today booked 2020 travel:
March Ft Lauderdale scuba & fun
April Spain Madrid/Seville
June Nashville Kenny Chesney concert
August Poland (not yet booked)
November Notre Dame for the Clemson game

Plus we just spent 10 days in Costa Rica at Los Suenos

Might be our best travel year ever!
Old 02-02-2020, 05:33 PM   #69
Full time employment: Posting here.

My Man Cub turns 30 in a couple of months... treating him to 3 days at Pebble Beach. Only possible regret... he has 3 younger sisters so the bar has been set!! WTF! Can't take it with you!
Old 02-03-2020, 09:09 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post
Razor wise, I switched to an epilator a few years back. More of an initial outlay, but no more razors and silky smooth legs for weeks at a time.
OMG- how much do the drugs cost so that you can stand the pain of that epliator?? I bought one and threw it away!
Old 02-04-2020, 05:25 AM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Booked a B&B in Bar Harbor Me for our Acadia NP trip
Old 02-04-2020, 06:16 AM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Our month trip to Europe should do it. We paid for the airfare in 2019 but nothing else.
Finishing the bookings on a 2 month trip to Europe this coming summer/fall. Intra Europe flights if you travel light are crazy! Like $20 to go from Seville to Madrid! The taxi to the airport is more! All in all it will be a big chunk of my annual blow the dough budget but a trip of a lifetime... until we do it again next year.....🤑
Old 02-04-2020, 07:16 AM   #73
gone traveling

Paid off our bathroom rebuild bill from Lowes ($2700), and our other visa card ($2400), so both of these monthly payments can now be invested, and start MAKING money, not spending it.
Old 02-04-2020, 04:27 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterscik View Post
We did the same last year. What a great vacation! I'm sure you'll love it. It's so easy to drive on their modern EU funded highways. Not much traffic and so clean. Really enjoyed their National parks; had a great stay and lovely food at an agritourismo kalpic outside the krka park. Add in island hopping on their fast hydrofoil passenger ferries and you'll have a great time!
We are hoping to spend most of our time island hopping Croatia! Any suggestions?
Old 02-04-2020, 07:47 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmtree View Post
We are hoping to spend most of our time island hopping Croatia! Any suggestions?

We took a ferry from split to Hvar. Then Hvar to Korchula. On to Mljet. And back to the mainland in Dubrovnik. We stayed at least one night on each island. Lokrum was a short day trip we made from Dubrovnik. Our favorite was Korchula. Itís port is too small to accommodate big cruise ships and the local white wine is great. On each island we hiked; on Hvar we rented scooters and drove around the island. Lots of fun!
Enjoy your trip.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:53 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Booked a B&B in Bar Harbor Me for our Acadia NP trip
We went last October! Loved the park.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5398fb.jpg (1.04 MB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5457fb.jpg (1,014.6 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5621fb.jpg (961.0 KB, 79 views)
Old 02-05-2020, 06:57 AM   #77
Moderator Emeritus

^ Very nice DrRoy!
Old 02-05-2020, 07:01 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Robbie is rubbing off on me. We were waitlisted for tickets to see Frankie Valli and the venue called and they had tickets... $270 for 2. BTD!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 02-05-2020, 10:54 AM   #79

Booked (refundable) flights and hotel along with (nosebleed) tickets to see the Final Four in Atlanta with DS. Will probably only go if Duke is playing unless there's a surprise team that would make it interesting (like Georgia Tech, haha),
Old 02-05-2020, 11:13 AM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Today I went to the Lazy Boy store and ordered a new lift recliner. [...]The bottom line including taxes and delivery was $2,175,
I got a call yesterday from Lazy Boy and my recliner is finished and it won't be long before it is delivered! I am SO EXCITED about it. Yesterday I moved furniture all around in my den, making lots of space for it. After it is delivered and in place, I can move things back closer to it. It probably weighs a ton, and I plan to live in this house until I croak. So, my thoughts are that once it is in place it is going to stay exactly where they place it until the end of time, at the very least.

I just wanted to suggest to those who want to Blow some Dough, that a new recliner is a really, really exciting way to do this. As we used to say back in my teenaged surfing days, I am so stoked. I attached a photo of it in the brown color that I selected.

Frank is pretty excited about getting my old cheap-o recliner, which he plans to fix and then use at his house. Since I have had more money than I can spend lately, I thought I'd rather just get a new one for myself. Why not? If he wants to fix the old one for himself, more power to him. As for me, I am going with the Blow That Dough approach.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg recliner.JPG (35.5 KB, 312 views)