Blow That Dough! - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
For that money I would have bought a smoker, and done them and much more myself!

The smoker is easy, already have one of those. It's the Lake Michigan Chubs that are hard to find.

Went to Costco yesterday for normal stuff, unfortunately the place was mobbed like the day before Thanksgiving. But I cruised the clothing section as always and found that they still had the comfy jersey lounge pants I bought last time - I got size M and they run large so I really wanted a size S. So I blew $17.99 to get a size S just because I could. Normally I'd just live with the too large ones since they are just to wear around the house. Old habits die hard!

Went to Costco yesterday for normal stuff, unfortunately the place was mobbed like the day before Thanksgiving. But I cruised the clothing section as always and found that they still had the comfy jersey lounge pants I bought last time - I got size M and they run large so I really wanted a size S. So I blew $17.99 to get a size S just because I could. Normally I'd just live with the too large ones since they are just to wear around the house. Old habits die hard!

$18 in a blow your dough section. You might be the LBYM King. :D

Yeah, I don't want to know what frugal is.

Blew a tank of gas in my motorcycle on first ride of the 2020 season. Temp right at 50 degrees up here in the great PNW. The first ride of the season is always a great time.

I think we need to have a discussion on the meaning of “Blow that dough” and some criteria or parameters. I personally don’t feel $18 or a tank of gas for a motorcycle qualifies. Now a huge Hummer? Maybe!

Of course what feels like Dough Blowing one day, like yesterday where the markets were up 4-5%, feels completely different today where you could be down 6 figures! Yesterday was Sesame crusted Tuna with Wasabi Mashed potato’s and wine for dinner. Tonight is whatever is left over in the fridge that smells okay!

Got a truck.

2015_chevrolet_silverado_2500hd_work_truck_crew_cab_4wd-pic-11049436941795290450-1024x768.jpeg

We are currently up to about $9K on a project to replace our old white painted pine stairs with stained oak treads and cherry posts and rail. When we first kicked it off, we thought it would come in around $5-6K. The carpenter is a perfectionist and does amazing work that we love. There is $250 there for some drywall repair that bleeds into the living room from the stairway, so that room will need painted plus the stain for the stairs, rails, and adjacent replaced oak closet doors. The carpenter has a painter that he uses (he will only accept very good subs) and thought that staining for the stairs would be $800. That figure is in the $9K.
The painter just came in with his estimate - much masking due to the two woods, two stain coats on all the wood, 3 coats of clear, repair all issues on the stairway and living room walls and ceiling, primer, two coats of paint. $3300. Even with the expanded job we were expecting about half of that. We would be up to $11.4K total.
We have complications in that we are about to go travelling for a while, and the work could be done while we are gone to great convenience. We would have to wait until we return to find someone else, don't know how much we might save or what shortcuts would happen in quality for a lower price, and might be in the house for expended periods with no access to the master bedroom or bathrooms upstairs.
We are stunned at having to pay so much more, but know the result will be very fine and do not see a reasonable alternative. We can afford it, but are disillusioned about how these things always snowball in cost.

The best part is that it's free (which blows zero dough)

I think we need to have a discussion on the meaning of “Blow that dough” and some criteria or parameters. I personally don’t feel $18 or a tank of gas for a motorcycle qualifies.

I have interpreted those more modest dough-blowing posts as wry humor not to be taken seriously. Such wiseguy comments are my 2nd favorite aspect of this forum.

This is a blow that dough kind of year - finishing up window replacement on the west side of the house - $7K, new standing seam roof w/2 new Velux skylights - $17K, hiking trip in Utah with two grown sons - not complete yet, trip to see aging father in FL, funeral in Rochester - $1K. And hopefully we stay healthy with all this airport and flight business going on!

Signed up Amazon Music HD, bought Sennheiser HD6xx headphone, Schiit Modi3 DAC and Magni 3+ headphone amp

Find myself listen to music for hours - I am an audiophile now :)

I finally outfitted my poker room. Bought a table, better-then-average folding chairs, a custom poker room sign, and "upper middle class" Milano poker chips. https://www.pokerchipmania.com/claysmith-poker-chips/milano/

Buying the chips was fun. I bought samples of 4 different chips, and in the end bought 1000 Milanos and a second set of 650 Nexgen Pros that are out of production and essentially on clearance. I'll keep the Nexgens at our summer house and give my old dice chip set to DS#1. If anyone is buying poker chips, Hobbyphilic on youtube has a great series of reviews.

All in all, it cost about half my 2019 low-stakes poker winnings. Mrs. USG said "we're supposed to be downsizing!" First game here is next Friday.

I don't need to blow any dough. The market has done a good job for me.

I want to share this Web page for people to visualize the money that has been blown off their account. :)

https://www.caranddriver.com/ferrari

Go for it Dr Roy! Sounds great! Yeah, do it when you are gone and it'll be magic when you return. Only twice as much as the first estimate and really fine work and you really wouldn't want to have this magnificent staircase next to walls with dings in them eh?

Haha, Blow That Dough!

I just got my statement and I lost over a quarter mill last month. In Ferrari terms a Tributo. Big deal. It'll be back!

Last edited:
Special at our golf pro shop - Two SM8 Vokey wedges, fitting, short game lesson, two dozen Pro V1's.

Amusing to not be bothered by the 200K drop last week. This too will pass.

Hey! Where'd everybody go! :LOL:

A little gallows humor is OK, right?

-ERD50

I got my high end massage chair that I’ve wanted for years. DW caved in and bought it for me at Xmas. The whole extended family loves it and I deserve a commission for 2 units ordered by relatives. That’s good because this thing is getting used at least 2-3 times everyday so it’ll probably wear out in a few years and I’ll get another one. I was scolded by members here a few years back for considering such a frivolous expense! That was before RobbieB invented the concept of BTD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom